What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The first thing I noticed is Barenboim's is a semitone higher. Hogwood's "Allegretto" (112-120bpm) is also too fast - more like Allegro (120-168bpm - he's running ~144bpm). Barenboim is also a *tad* fast - barely (at ~126bpm).

I prefer Barenboim's interpretation, especially the slower tempo (though the strings seem to be trying to rush him a bit a couple of times in the final minutes).
What I like is the much more lyrical approach that Barenboim takes. He really pushes it to the limit. It becomes abundantly obvious when the tympani chime in a couple minutes into the piece.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jamaican born pianist Monty Alexander has for decades been a huge fan of Battle Hymn of the Republic. He's recorded it dozens of times and if you look at YouTube, you can probably find a hundred different videos of him performing it live.

This version is from his Telarc album My America.

Happy 4th everyone!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just thought I'd toss this one out. I posted a song some time back by this same band, the Welsh Prog Rock band Magenta. That other song was an epic, 30 minute prog anthem. The full version of this song is about 13 minutes long, but this is a "COVID" version from 2020.

Today was just a good day, a load has hopefully been lifted, and this is a happy song.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't know if I looked up their catalog after your last post, John, but I did this time... Is it all OOP? Prices are on the higher side of things... at least on Amazon. And there's another band called Magenta that's *not* Welsh and *not* prog-rock so be careful...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know if I looked up their catalog after your last post, John, but I did this time... Is it all OOP? Prices are on the higher side of things... at least on Amazon. And there's another band called Magenta that's *not* Welsh and *not* prog-rock so be careful...
It's unfortunate, but they're pretty much sold direct now. One or two early releases were re-released and are OOP again. Discogs can be a good option.

https://www.tigermothshop.co.uk/store/Magenta-c50869056

They used to have a small US distributor, but that's been a while and I can't remember the name. I'm not sure they're still in business.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm most interested in their first release, "Revolutions" - looks to be a double CD and is ~$30 on Amazon US right now - I may go ahead and pick up a copy as I've not found it anywhere else.

And... I found a copy of the full album on youtube so at least can preview it before dropping that much. :)

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm most interested in their first release, "Revolutions" - looks to be a double CD and is ~$30 on Amazon US right now - I may go ahead and pick up a copy as I've not found it anywhere else.

And... I found a copy of the full album on youtube so at least can preview it before dropping that much. :)
It’s very ambitious. Mostly four epic 25 minute songs. Unlike a lot of prog, it’s always very melodic. Not as avant garde as most classic prog. More easily enjoyable.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It’s very ambitious. Mostly four epic 25 minute songs. Unlike a lot of prog, it’s always very melodic. Not as avant garde as most classic prog. More easily enjoyable.
Like the creator(s) intended, it sounds quite like lots of early to mid 70s prog - at least what I've heard so far. I need a few listens to know if it'll be something I'd revisit often enough to own, though I *do* like what I've heard so far. Much of it is quite reminiscent of Yes from those years. I already own a couple of albums from Starcastle - a group which was very much a Yes clone - so don't yet know how much I need more of that style.

I really wish Spotify had some of their catalog available.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Like the creator(s) intended, it sounds quite like lots of early to mid 70s prog - at least what I've heard so far. I need a few listens to know if it'll be something I'd revisit often enough to own, though I *do* like what I've heard so far. Much of it is quite reminiscent of Yes from those years. I already own a couple of albums from Starcastle - a group which was very much a Yes clone - so don't yet know how much I need more of that style.

I really wish Spotify had some of their catalog available.
The two most epically Prog albums of theirs are Revolutions and Metamorphosis, which are both essentially two songs per disc. In the end, they have the classic prog elements. Varying meter, poly rhythms, lots of modulation, and heavy spiritual themes.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The two most epically Prog albums of theirs are Revolutions and Metamorphosis, which are both essentially two songs per disc. In the end, they have the classic prog elements. Varying meter, poly rhythms, lots of modulation, and heavy spiritual themes.
I looked up Metamorphosis on Amazon to discover I purchased a copy of that one on January 30th, 2021!! :blink: That means I liked what you posted (much) earlier from them enough to pick it up!!

Guess I need to double check my CD database before making another purchase... :laugh:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I looked up Metamorphosis on Amazon to discover I purchased a copy of that one on January 30th, 2021!! :blink: That means I liked what you posted (much) earlier from them enough to pick it up!!

Guess I need to double check my CD database before making another purchase... :laugh:
I recalled someone really liked Metamorphosis, and I kind of figured it was you.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And... I mentioned Starcastle again, checked the thread and discovered *nothing* from them has been posted. So... here are a couple of their more popular and well known tracks. The sound is *very* reminiscent of Yes, somthing for which they were pretty much slammed by critics... I discovered the band shortly after their first album was released after walking into the local record store and asking the guy for "something like Yes."

The tracks posted are a bit on the longish side...

Starcastle - "Lady of the Lake":

Starcastle - "Fountains":

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And... I mentioned Starcastle again, checked the thread and discovered *nothing* from them has been posted. So... here are a couple of their more popular and well known tracks. The sound is *very* reminiscent of Yes, somthing for which they were pretty much slammed by critics... I discovered the band shortly after their first album was released after walking into the local record store and asking the guy for "something like Yes."

The tracks posted are a bit on the longish side...

Starcastle - "Lady of the Lake":

Starcastle - "Fountains":

Yeah, I can see them being slammed as a Yes ripoff. In particular, the vocals are very Jon Anderson-like.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
While we're on a prog kick, I'll post a couple songs by the (very) Irish band Iona.

That instrument you hear in the first track is Uilleann Pipes. A type of bagpipe.

From the album "Open Sky", the opening track "Woven Cord"...

And the closing track, "Friendship's Door".

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Iona - Kind of laid back prog for sure... I don't know how often I'd listen to that as I lean towards the heavier stuff.

Here's another prog band I really enjoy. Unfortunately, they released only two studio albums (slightly different lineup for each) and a single live album (with the 2nd, trio version of the group). U.K. is one of those "super groups" with members Eddie Jobson - violin (Roxy Music and Zappa), John Wetton - vocals and bass (Uriah Heep, Roxy Music, Family), Allan Holdsworth - guitar (Soft Machine, The Tony Williams Lifetime), and Bill Bruford - Drums/percussion (Yes, King Crimson). Holdsworth and Bruford left after the first album with Bruford being replaced by Terry Bozzio (Zappa) and no replacement for Holdsworth.

This track is from the original quartet version of the band (the album I listen to most).

U.K. - "In the Dead of Night":

And one from the trio version (a more pop sounding track from a decidedly lesser album which still has some excellent musicianship on display).

U.K. - "Nothing to Lose":

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One of my favorite things about watching football is listening to music instead of the game commentary. My first half, pre-season selection today was the Steven Wilson remix of what is probably one of my All-time Top 10 favorite rock albums.

What will the second half selection be?

2023-08-19-at-6.51.19-Crop.jpg

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I absolutely love to see different musical interpretations and artist collaborations. Here's one I recently discovered.

For context, here's the original studio version.

Then this happened... Music can be so powerful.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I didn't care for the studio version of posse but I surprisingly really enjoyed the orchestral version. It had more life to it, while the studio version sounded like a drum machine and generic beat.

I haven't posted anything in a while, but since you mentioned collaborations: Dolly Parton has recently put out a few cover songs, some with the original artists such as let it be with Paul and Ringo.

But this one really got my attention, Id listen to a whole album of her singing metal.

And just for fun here's Jonathan Coulton covering Baby Got Back and the Butthole Surfers almost, kind of incorporating rap into one of their songs:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I didn't care for the studio version of posse but I surprisingly really enjoyed the orchestral version. It had more life to it, while the studio version sounded like a drum machine and generic beat.

I haven't posted anything in a while, but since you mentioned collaborations: Dolly Parton has recently put out a few cover songs, some with the original artists such as let it be with Paul and Ringo.

But this one really got my attention, Id listen to a whole album of her singing metal.

And just for fun here's Jonathan Coulton covering Baby Got Back and the Butthole Surfers almost, kind of incorporating rap into one of their songs:

I agree about the studio version of Posse On Broadway. They did a remix which added the energy this one lacks but I couldn't find it on You Tube.

I absolutely LOVE Dolly. As far as I'm concerned, she can do no wrong and her voice is magically unique.

I'm not familiar with Jonathan Coulton but his Baby Got Back cover was extremely well done. I expected it to have a comic feel but he gave it serious and respectful treatment. Again, the power of music!!!

This Butthole Surfers track will become part of my collection very soon. I'll also have to take a look at some of their other songs. Truthfully, in this case, the name had caused me to steer clear in the past but I really like this one.

Thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks