What's new

The Good Wife - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
As a newcomer to the series, I look forward to finding out her backstory as I get a chance to review past seasons.
She's the best lawyer on the show, even though she's more than a little unconventional.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It says a lot about the quality of this show that I find a way to fit it into my Sunday night even though CBS's football commitments play absolute havok with its scheduling.It also struck me during tonight's episode that I laugh out loud at this show more than most comedies.Kyle MacLachlan must relish his role on this show. I don't think Josh Perotti had a single scene without some sort of inappropriate behavior.Loved the complexity of the religion issue, and how Alicia's pandering to the Chicago preacher made Grace feel dishonest to God. Most shows wouldn't go there, and they certainly would have the kid be sophisticated enough to pick up on that. I also liked Marissa's perspective on the matter. She just served two years in an army foreign to her place of birth, as a requirement of citizenship that was conferred upon her as a result of her religious heritage. But she rightly identified that religion is both a belief and an identity. Often times those two meld beautifully, but sometimes the belief and the identity have nothing to do with each other. In this case, there is the Christian clan and the Christian faith. To get elected as State's Attorney, Alica needs to be identified with the formed and to do that she is forced to go on the record about the latter. Eli and his ex-wife must have done something right, that two bullshit artists raised a daughter who feels so comfortable speaking honestly.Everything with Cary's bail issue was perfectly handled. I especially liked the judge's anger at the defense's outrage, when so many defendants out on bail are thrown back behind bars for similarly minor lapses.The last scene, with Alicia taking her place in Will's old office, was surprisingly poignant.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another wonderful assessment, Adam. Thanks.

This series mixes drama and comedy in such entertaining and unexpected ways. The flirtation between Elsbeth and Josh is both funny and infuriating. (One wishes she could find someone more worthy of her than this snake in the grass, but the heart wants what it wants, I guess). Loved seeing Judge Ana "in my opinion" Gasteyer once again (she wasn't around at all last season) with Elsbeth getting a funny zinger directed toward her at the end of the trial. And that moment in Will's old office made me tear up a little bit, too. We have all gone through a lot with these characters over six seasons.

Cary has been "the new Will" in a lot of ways in the most recent episodes, and I hope his almost going back to jail will slap some sense into him. He's not a frat boy any longer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I finally got the opportunity to watch this episode tonight. I totally forgot to record the follow-up hour in case of a delay.

By the way, the CSI episode scheduled to follow last Sunday night got held by CBS and will air this Sunday instead. That's odd.

Adam Lenhardt said:
Loved the complexity of the religion issue, and how Alicia's pandering to the Chicago preacher made Grace feel dishonest to God. Most shows wouldn't go there, and they certainly would have the kid be sophisticated enough to pick up on that. I also liked Marissa's perspective on the matter. She just served two years in an army foreign to her place of birth, as a requirement of citizenship that was conferred upon her as a result of her religious heritage. But she rightly identified that religion is both a belief and an identity. Often times those two meld beautifully, but sometimes the belief and the identity have nothing to do with each other. In this case, there is the Christian clan and the Christian faith. To get elected as State's Attorney, Alica needs to be identified with the formed and to do that she is forced to go on the record about the latter. Eli and his ex-wife must have done something right, that two bullshit artists raised a daughter who feels so comfortable speaking honestly.
I was thinking--even with my limited knowledge of the backstory of the show's characters--that you could make the same case for Alicia and Peter. Even while Zack may have issues, Grace seems really amazingly grounded and together.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Last Sunday's late afternoon football game ran long on CBS, so they pulled the new episode of CSI, rather than get no "ratings" windfall from airing a new episode way outside of its prime-time slot.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The number of tv shows that know of "ACTS" prayer mnemonic, let alone use it correctly in a sentence, think I can count on one finger. I'm constantly surprised at the attention to detail of Three Good Wife writers.Cary's further pushed from his vision of FA. He's losing everything he wanted their firm to be. They've even got the worthless older partner on staff now, for the sake of getting the old products back: both unwanted by Cary. I'm hoping for significant emotional consequences from this storyline.Grace being praised by her Bible study group for bringing her mom an inch closer to salvation was the best scene for me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I was thinking--even with my limited knowledge of the backstory of the show's characters--that you could make the same case for Alicia and Peter. Even while Zack may have issues, Grace seems really amazingly grounded and together.
A lot of that comes down to Peter. Not that he was a particularly terrible father, but his fall from grace and subsequent incarceration had a significant traumatic impact on the family, and Alicia shielded the kids from that as much as possible.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I was a little torn on the Christian thing with the last episode. Came off very phony to me. Seems like Alicia is now turning more "political", saying what people want to hear rather than standing up for herself.

She's got a lot of skeletons in her closet, so will be interesting to see how the writers handle things.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It was phony. It was purely political. That's exactly what Alicia said. That's why she was concerned Grace would look down on her for behaving that way. And it's why, for me, Grace's obvious pain over the undeserved praise from her group on "reaching" her mom. And that pain is completely Alicia's doing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In Alicia's defense, she knows she's not being up front about her feelings as she runs for office; it's all about the outcome: to get into office so she (hopefully) can do some good. And she hasn't lied to Grace about her beliefs ever and gives her all the freedom she wants about her own convinctions without prejudice. Last night's episode showed Alicia at the end in fight mode: we've seen her dig in her heels before when she's faced an adversary (all last season with Will after she left the firm), so this promises to produce some fireworks. So far, David Hyde-Pierce's character does seem eons ahead of jerks she's had to deal with in the past like Matthew Perry's character, so their upcoming scenes together should be something (he was signed for six episodes so I understand).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got irritated with Cary last night smiling and playing a text form of "footsy" with Kalinda while in a courtroom where he could conceivably be going back to prison. He doesn't honestly seem to think that could happen to him (again), and I'm afraid he's got a bitter pill to swallow if he doesn't start to get a little more concerned about his situation and stop being so flip about his situation.

I'm really loving the camaraderie between Alicia and Finn these days.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
I got irritated with Cary last night smiling and playing a text form of "footsy" with Kalinda while in a courtroom where he could conceivably be going back to prison. He doesn't honestly seem to think that could happen to him (again), and I'm afraid he's got a bitter pill to swallow if he doesn't start to get a little more concerned about his situation and stop being so flip about his situation.
I felt sure those texts were going to be discovered by someone and lead to further problems for him.

Wasn't the stipulation for him to end all contact with Kalinda while on bail?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm amazed that Diane hasn't tried to get Finn's reasons for resigning on the record. I know his discussions with Castro are privileged, but there has to be some way to get Finn's assertion that Cary is innocent into the record.
Matt Hough said:
Last night's episode showed Alicia at the end in fight mode: we've seen her dig in her heels before when she's faced an adversary (all last season with Will after she left the firm), so this promises to produce some fireworks.
The fascinating thing for me is that this time she might have picked a fight she didn't need to. It's possible that she is right and David Hyde Pierce's character is a hypocrite that planned to run all along. On the other hand, it's just as possible that she's so used to dealing with hypocrites now that she inferred bad behavior where there wasn't any. As a viewer, I believed that David Hyde Pierce's character was being genuine. He gave her a softball interview to protect her chances while he weighed his options, and she flubbed it. Her team leaked the report to Castro, and then Alicia dug the hole deeper for herself by pretending -- and not very skillfully -- that she didn't know what had transpired. David Hyde Pierce's character was trying to handle things with courtesy and class, and Alicia metaphorically just spat in his face.In his character she had a competitor that her behavior and choices turned into an enemy. If she'd handled that better, maybe he wouldn't have run. And if he had, maybe he would have dropped out and endorsed her if his numbers didn't hold up. There's no chance of that now. Alicia exposed her very worst qualities to him.
Matt Hough said:
I completely agree. His pre-trial officer warned him to take this seriously, and he just isn't. A long prison sentence is still theoretical for him at this point, and that's a bad way to look at things. He is the victim of a politically motivated prosecution, but he's hardly the first person to be prosecuted unjustly, and he has a lot more resources at his disposal than most in his position.
Mike Frezon said:
Wasn't the stipulation for him to end all contact with Kalinda while on bail?
I had thought so. It was my understanding from the revised bail terms that any communications between them were prohibited, and the 30 feet for physical proximity was one means of enforcing that.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I certainly agree about Alicia's blundering last night. She's actually in over her head to begin with and is taking advice from all sides, but I think the jury's still out with Hyde-Pierce's character. Those writers have a way of surprising us with these characters especially the ones with multi-episode arcs in which to show their true (or truer) colors.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I'm amazed that Diane hasn't tried to get Finn's reasons for resigning on the record. I know his discussions with Castro are privileged, but there has to be some way to get Finn's assertion that Cary is innocent into the record.
It seems a bit early to be amazed here. They haven't even been to court against the new prosecutor. They are going to have to take advantage of this somehow.

The biggest problem with Hyde-Pierce's character entering the race is that he probably will take more votes away from Alicia than Castro. One question I have about the race itself - is there a primary or are all three of them in the same party?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
NeilO said:
The biggest problem with Hyde-Pierce's character entering the race is that he probably will take more votes away from Alicia than Castro. One question I have about the race itself - is there a primary or are all three of them in the same party?
I believe it's a Democratic primary. I'm never quite certain how the timeline of the show lines up with the real world. But in the real world, the State's Attorney primary for Cook County would not be held until March 2016. I can't remember if this is special election for some reason, where different rules might apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks