What's new

The Good Wife - Season 6 (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So...

several months ago I had to break away from this thread. As I told you fellas, I had been enjoying TGW so much since getting hooked during season 5 (and then continuing on through the beginning of season 6) that my wife and I decided to shut it down and start at the beginning: Season one, episode one,

Well, we have finally caught up. And what a ride it has been.

To smash six seasons of incredibly good TV drama into just several months' time is quite a proposition. The most amazing thing was the consistent high quality of the production--from top to bottom.

When I read in this thread that CBS was slow to renew the show for its seventh season, I was shocked. Thank good they got it done.

I had a good chuckle over Wallace Shawn's line in the ultimate episode while in the law offices looking for Kalinda that "it seems like every time I'm up here, there's a different name on the door." The different permutations of the partner names of the law firm inhabiting those offices is quite impressive.

So I've missed much of the episode-by-episode reactions here...but am thrilled to be caught up with the show yet with the bittersweet notion that now I have to wait until September to find out what happens next with the show.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Glad you're all caught up, Mike, and on the same page with so many of us who think this the best show on network broadcast television.

I was a bit disheartened to read Matthew Goode (Finn) will not be returning as a regular next season. (It's speculated he may make one or two guest appearances.) I felt from the beginning that he and Juliana had great chemistry and their characters made an intriguing match. It's going to be very interesting to see what develops for Alicia this next season, both professionally and personally.

I'm also assuming Matthew Goode will be returning to Downton Abbey to take up again with Lady Mary. They seemed very good together, too. I think he's one of those actors who pairs well with just about everyone.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I actually was quite disappointed (an audible awwwww from me) when Finn backed out of his partnership with Alicia. That's sad news, too. But somehow I think this show will continue to keep on clicking.

It was quite a ride watching it all so quickly. While I wouldn't exactly describe it as "binge watching," it certainly meant that we passed through all these milestones in the lives of Alicia, Peter, Will, Diane, Cary (and the other Cary. I'm still trying to figure out why they did that!), Kalinda, etc. VERY quickly. But it still didn't seem cartoonish at all.

I did find it odd they took great pains to have two characters laden down with children while trying to cope in a world of professionals (Martha Plimpton's character of Patty Nyholm and the investigator, Wiley). I'm trying to figure out the point of that.

It is obviously true that it is a great supportive cast of recurring characters inhabited by the especially talented crew of actors/actresses who play them all. That is a definite strength to the show because they would tend to come before the same judges and ADAs and other members of the legal community throughout their work lives. And to have such a strong cast bolster the main players is phenomenal and integral to the strength of the show.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
They're very wise to film in New York so they can take advantage of the strong roster of theater actors available to work during the day in small roles as judges and DAs on a recurring basis.

With Patti, she used her children FOR their distraction to give her an edge on opponents who weren't used to the continual care small children require. For Wiley, it's been a running gag from the beginning that he was Mr. Mom who tried to balance free lance investigative work with tending to his rambunctious children.

The show has brilliantly used running gags and quirky judges and attorneys to challenge our protagonists. I honestly look forward to seeing the judge who requires "in my opinion" or Mamie Gummer's pretend-innocent Nancy Crozier or Jerry Stiller's dozing judge. And Carrie Preston's Elspeth is a circus unto herself.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
With Patti, she used her children FOR their distraction to give her an edge on opponents who weren't used to the continual care small children require. For Wiley, it's been a running gag from the beginning that he was Mr. Mom who tried to balance free lance investigative work with tending to his rambunctious children.

Yeah, I "get" all that. It just seems odd that they did the same thing (practically) with two different recurring characters.

And to be able to consistently have Alan Cumming on hand is pure "Gold." (Sorry about that.) He is so talented in his ability to express himself with just a twitch, let's say. For a mostly stage actor to be able to dial it down and use such nuance in a medium as intimate as television is amazing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Yeah, I "get" all that. It just seems odd that they did the same thing (practically) with two different recurring characters.
I think part of it is that Patti's run was much earlier on the show than the bulk of Wiley's appearances. Having watched the show in real time, I never really even made that connection.

I think part of it is that Patti's run was much earlier on the show than the bulk of Wiley's appearances. Having watched the show in real time, I never really even made that connection.

And to be able to consistently have Alan Cumming on hand is pure "Gold." (Sorry about that.) He is so talented in his ability to express himself with just a twitch, let's say. For a mostly stage actor to be able to dial it down and use such nuance in a medium as intimate as television is amazing.
I agree completely. And since they're losing Archie Panjabi and Matthew Goode as series regulars next season, I hope they add Sarah Steele to the regular cast as Eli's daughter Marissa. A really talented stage actress who also knows how to recalibrate for film and television. They should lock down Jess Wexler while they're at it, and make Robyn the full time investigator.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think it was a combination of Jess Wexler's limited availability and the show's desire to focus on Kalinda since the writers knew it was the last season they had Archie Panjabi. The Kings confirmed that she's still employed by Florrick Agos or Lockhart Agos and Lee or whatever the hell it's called now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:

I guess that's part of the risk of binging a show like this. It all blurred together going by so quickly.

Adam Lenhardt said:
The Kings confirmed that she's still employed by Florrick Agos or Lockhart Agos and Lee or whatever the hell it's called now.

And honestly...trying to keep track of who the name partners were at any one time: Stearn, Lockhart, Gardner, Florick, Agos, Lockhart, Canning, Lee, Lockhart, Agos, Florick, Polmar, Florick! You needed a scorecard!

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Mike Frezon said:
I did find it odd they took great pains to have two characters laden down with children while trying to cope in a world of professionals (Martha Plimpton's character of Patty Nyholm and the investigator, Wiley). I'm trying to figure out the point of that.

I've always taken it as Columbo-esque [just one more thing ma'am] storytelling tactic, to show that these 'harried' professionals can still keep their wits about them while distracted.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
John Lee_275604 said:
I've always taken it as Columbo-esque [just one more thing ma'am] storytelling tactic, to show that these 'harried' professionals can still keep their wits about them while distracted.

In Wiley's case, no doubt about it. In fact, everything he did reeked of Columbo. But in Nyholm's case, she used the kids to her advantage in a different, more purposeful, manipulative way.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mike Frezon said:
In Wiley's case, no doubt about it. In fact, everything he did reeked of Columbo. But in Nyholm's case, she used the kids to her advantage in a different, more purposeful, manipulative way.
And won an Emmy for her portrayer: Martha Plimpton. Others who have won for their guest starring roles are Dylan Baker as the ultra creepy Colin Sweeney and Carrie Preston as Elsbeth Tascioni. Alan Cumming (before he was promoted to series regular), Michael J. Fox, and Nathan Lane have earned nominations for their guest stints.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I think it was a combination of Jess Wexler's limited availability and the show's desire to focus on Kalinda since the writers knew it was the last season they had Archie Panjabi. The Kings confirmed that she's still employed by Florrick Agos or Lockhart Agos and Lee or whatever the hell it's called now.
Kalinda is truly leaving? That's so depressing, she has always been one of my favorite characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks