What's new

The Good Wife - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As a state worker who works really hard with ever-diminishing resources, I always get frustrated with the usual television stereotype of the lazy apathetic government employee who sits on his or her ass all day just running out the clock. It's a stereotype that's useful dramatically, because unfortunately many of the public's day-to-day interactions with their government prove to be frustrating.I mention all of that only because the portrayal of the bond hearing officer was far and away the most balanced portrayal of a state worker I've seen in a long, long time. Linda Lavin played Joy Grubick as a woman who is just a cog in a vast machine, and knows it. She is not in the customer service business, and once she finally gets off of the phone she is polite but not solicitous. She's got a crappy little cubicle in an outdated office, and nothing about the system she is operating in works efficiently. Cary's case is chock full of lawyers, and they all look at her with contempt, though at least Cary is smart enough not to disrespect her. She does her job diligently, and she warns Cary about what's coming even though he wasn't ready to listen. And, when called to testify, she does so honestly and forthrightly from a perspective that indicates both that she did a thorough job on her report and that she possesses the sort of pragmatic and open-eyed judgment of character that her position would require.As soon as it came to Christian arbitration, I knew Alicia would go to Grace. I really like the places they've taken that character; the show treats her faith respectfully, and it respects her as a character. Given her upbringing in a largely secular household, with a blue state education that doesn't shy away from evolution, she was never going to be a biblical literalist. But she doesn't need the Bible to be literally accurate for it to be a source of truth. Alicia looked at Christian arbitration as merely a different forum where the Bible was added to the legal sources being referenced. Grace understood implicitly that that wouldn't be the case, because faith is a holistic enterprise.And given all of the controversy over GMO seeds, and the enormous impact they've had on American agriculture and the business of farming, I thought it was a pretty novel way to tackle the subject matter. The scene near the end where the GMO seed manufacturer and the farmer step aside from the table while all of the lawyers are screaming at each other, and only Cary sees how it's going to play out, played really well. I suspect a handshake and a gentleman's agreement is how most of us wish disagreements could be settled.Gloria Steinem's cameo was a lot of fun, especially when it jumped from the reality of what was said to Alicia's increasingly inflated imaginings of what she might say.And finally, James Castro makes the mistake so many have made on this show: they're so familiar with how Chicago politics work that they become convinced that that's all they need to know. But Castro made it personal, and now maybe Alicia isn't going to do the smart thing. If Castro hadn't been so tenacious in his pursuit of Cary, using Finn as his proxy, and just let things play out, he would have gotten Peter's grudging endorsement. But he had to be so rat-like in forcing Alicia's hand not to run that she might run just to spite him.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Adam, yours is a superb distillation of the episode. Kudos! Enjoyed reading it almost as much as the episode itself, the writing of which continues to amaze me with its complexity and assurance that the audience can keep up with its many feints and dodges.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My gosh, what a lot of revelations we got in tonight's show! I must admit I laughed at a fair amount of the show. Other moments (the obvious traffic stop business) made me cringe in fury!

Great episode and not one single minute in a courtroom this week.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"I should have spanked you, you bitch."

Definitely the highest laugh-out-loud quotient a "Good Wife" episode has had in a while.

I also liked that, one episode into her campaign, Alicia is already completely morally compromised -- both from her own decisions and the decisions of those around her.

And the reveal that Peter wasn't sleeping with Lauren the intern but rather with Lauren the intern's mother was a delightful twist. Alan Cumming's reaction shot as Eli was just priceless; he looked like he'd swallowed a bowling ball and choked on it.

(I also love how deeply the show is developing its parody of a Serious AMC Drama, now complete with after show.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Last week: they had me with "proof text"! If you've run in those circles, you know debates :) fantastic. This week's episode was a favorite. Quiet, restrained, and dealing with the characters. Owen, wordlessly turning and leaving. Gives me chills.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I also liked that, one episode into her campaign, Alicia is already completely morally compromised -- both from her own decisions and the decisions of those around her.
I should have predicted that last scene with Bishop as it was completely logical, but it still came as a nasty surprise. her problems with Bishop are only going to get worse ....

I thought Eli said he was going to get ahead of the DUI setup. Maybe we'll see some reactions to that next time.

Speaking of next time, Elsbeth is back! It should be another corker.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
So deeply invested in these characters am I that I felt a sense of betrayal about Zach's situation just like Alicia did. Just goes to show how great the writing has been all along for this show.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have been sitting watching the last few episodes thinking to myself, "Alicia...DON'T RUN!"

I'm still hoping she has a change of heart.

Every time an obstacle popped up in front of her, I expected her to say, "all right, already! Enough!"

But it hasn't happened yet.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I haven't read the details, but on my facebook feed I've been seeing that
Kalinda is leaving the show at the end of the season. I wonder if her exit will involve Bishop.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I like the aforementioned character who may be leaving the show but Will's exit has not harmed the show one bit yet and the particular character while great has not been at the forefront probably since Season 4. I suspect they may well already be laying the groundwork given what we have seen so far.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As usual, it's always great to have Elsbeth Tasioni make an appearance. However, I do prefer it when she's working with Alicia/Dianne rather than opposing them as tonight. I don't blame them for trying this, but I hope that doesn't happen again any time soon.

With all of the cyber crime out there, I was astonished there wasn't an FBI task force of programmers and hackers established already for just such circumstances as these. There isn't? I mean, that kind of extortion chilled me to the marrow of my bones.

Loved, loved, loved the ending sequence with Finn, Alicia, and Peter at the dais with that gorgeous music playing and the succession of web postings showing the mousy Alicia five/six years ago with the striking, confident woman now.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
As a state worker who works really hard with ever-diminishing resources, I always get frustrated with the usual television stereotype of the lazy apathetic government employee who sits on his or her ass all day just running out the clock
Adam, I understand your frustration, but I have a friend who works in our state legal department. She has co-workers far worse than what was portrayed. Incompetent, doing as little as possible to get by, constantly using up whatever sick-time they've built up, milking the system for dental and medical benefits, etc. Linda Lavin's character was minor compared to some of the people I've experienced. Somebody like that would never be tolerated in the private sector.

Granted, like many things, the most negative situations are always the ones you remember the most, but there are plenty of bad apples in government employment.I've also dealt with many who do a great job, care about things and the people they deal with.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
As usual, it's always great to have Elsbeth Tasioni make an appearance. However, I do prefer it when she's working with Alicia/Dianne rather than opposing them as tonight. I don't blame them for trying this, but I hope that doesn't happen again any time soon.
Based on how last night's episode ended, I would guess that we'll be seeing Alicia and Elsbeth on the same side sooner rather than later.
Matt Hough said:
Loved, loved, loved the ending sequence with Finn, Alicia, and Peter at the dais with that gorgeous music playing and the succession of web postings showing the mousy Alicia five/six years ago with the striking, confident woman now.
I agree. I also really enjoyed what that scene said about Peter; giving her introduction after Finn's endorsement was something he had to do politically. Standing by her side in "the less dominant position" was something that probably hurt him politically, but it was the right thing to do. That was Peter the husband doing that.
Stan said:
Adam, I understand your frustration, but I have a friend who works in our state legal department. She has co-workers far worse than what was portrayed. Incompetent, doing as little as possible to get by, constantly using up whatever sick-time they've built up, milking the system for dental and medical benefits, etc. Linda Lavin's character was minor compared to some of the people I've experienced. Somebody like that would never be tolerated in the private sector. Granted, like many things, the most negative situations are always the ones you remember the most, but there are plenty of bad apples in government employment.
Without getting off too much a tangent: I definitely wasn't criticizing the portrayal of Linda Lavin's character: on the contrary, I was praising what I found to be a pretty well rounded portrayal of a government employee.And I'm definitely not denying that there are bad apples in government civil service just like there are bad apples anywhere else. And while it's definitely easier to fire somebody in the private sector, I've seen just as much laziness and incompetence working there as in the public sector. They could just get away with it for different reasons.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
OMG, can't believe they fitted in ransomware into the episode as a way to deal with Diane's owning the lease on LG's office space. Haha.

Ransomware is a pain at my company in spots.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I was fascinated by the depiction of Elsbeth's mental states.
As a newcomer to the series, I look forward to finding out her backstory as I get a chance to review past seasons.
Patrick Sun said:
OMG, can't believe they fitted in ransomware into the episode as a way to deal with Diane's owning the lease on LG's office space. Haha.

Ransomware is a pain at my company in spots.
That $h&% is real?!? Yikes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks