What's new

The Flash - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
What I'm asking is, what is the internal logic for using the particle accelerator as a prison? It was sort of, "where can we hold these people?" "If we *babble-babble* the particle accelerator, we can imprison them!" Huh? Is this supervised by the authorities? Are there jailers to tend for basic needs? It's just all hand-waved and not at all followed through or examined.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Hanson said:
What I'm asking is, what is the internal logic for using the particle accelerator as a prison? It was sort of, "where can we hold these people?" "If we *babble-babble* the particle accelerator, we can imprison them!" Huh? Is this supervised by the authorities? Are there jailers to tend for basic needs? It's just all hand-waved and not at all followed through or examined.
I can't answer all of those. However...the particle accelerator is as good a place any any. Where are the metahumans gonna go...? To regular jail? The Mist is out in a heartbeat and anyone else can overpower the guards/jail security within seconds. At least everyone at the PA knows what's going on and who to call on if something goes wrong.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I agree with Jason, what else can they do with the Meta-villains? Let's see how things play out in future episodes, maybe imprisoning them in the PA will somehow end up biting them in the ass. As for the freak of the week aspect, I'd like to see the villains appear in 2 or 3 episodes like in the 60s Batman show and the comics. This could lead to better character development of the guest villain. I think this is the weakest part of the show.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
My complaint is not the scientific accuracy, but that the writing is lazy and stupid. The Goldbergs is smart, funny, and transcends typical sitcom fare. The Flash is Smallville with a fresh coat of paint because all the writers want to do is recycle those scripts and not actually examine the implications of their premise. They're auto replacing Clark with Barry, Pa Kent with Det Allen, Lana with Iris, and Meteor with Storm. It's all the same hacky shit. If all they want to emulate are the terrible comics I wouldn't read as a child in the 70's and 80's, then mission accomplished. To fall back on "it's just comics" is a ridiculous excuse. Terrible productions should never be excused nor accepted.

Also, the cast of the Goldbergs is great. The cast for the Flash cannot elevate the awful dialog.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I disagree 100%. It took years for Smallville to show any legit powers from Clark or for him to trust anyone with his secret. We were sitting through a lot of Clark vs. Whitney for Lana at this point in Smallville. We've seen more of Barry and his powers four episodes into The Flash than we did through five years on Smallville.

The Flash is embracing it's origins and what it is. Smallville seemed to want to very (very very slowly) dip its toe into the superhero universe.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Since we are only 4 episodes in, there is plenty of time for the stories and dialogue to improve. Some shows take longer than others to find their "voice" and The Flash is off to a strong start. I've never seen the Goldbergs, so I won't comment on that. Smallville had a lot of problems but it improved. It's best seasons were the later ones and, even then, it took until the series finale to get Superman into his costume for 2 minutes of screen time. I'm happy with the Flash so far.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hanson said:
They spent a lot of money on the particle accelerator set, and they're going to get their use out of it.Tonight's crossover with Felicity Smoak felt like the more or less undisguised co-branding attempt that it was. But that's fine, because I like the character and the like-mindedness between her and Barry.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Another good episode. Liked the scenes where Cisco was getting chewed out by Dr. Wells and how he felt guilty over creating the gun. I haven't seen any episodes of Arrow yet, so I have no connection to Felicity but I liked her being with Barry. I would like to see her return. Wentworth Miller was really good as "Captain Cold".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The best thing about this show is that it's not afraid for its characters to show exhuberance, like Barry did at the very end after kissing Felicity and he's running back to Central City and lets out a "Woo hoo" type of reaction from the kiss. How can you not root for Barry?

Nice chemistry between Barry and Felicity too, and how cute was their lamenting of their own romantic lives facing bumpy roads.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The chemistry between Barry and Felicity renders the Iris West attraction moot. He's in love with her because the script says so. But they have zero chemistry, and the whole thing has a quasi-incestuous vibe anyway. Iris isn't much more than a pretty face whereas Felicity almost makes me want to watch Arrow.

Still, that was a much better outing of the show than usual, leagues better than the two previous stinkers. Much better dialog and cast chemistry. Also, no accident related monster of the week (thank Jebus). Cisco inventing a cold gun to counteract a possibly malevolent Flash was the kind of smart idea this show desperately needs. Nobody guarding the weaponry? Maybe a hand wave, maybe related to Wells' ultimate plan. However...

Smallville Brain Dead Moment of the Week -- Barry is hit by a blast from the cold gun for the first time. He's still able to run away at super speed, which means he hasn't lost his powers and can still disarm or incapacitate Captain Cold in an eyeblink. But, yet again, he doesn't. Duuuuuuhhhhh...

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Hanson said:
Smallville Brain Dead Moment of the Week -- Barry is hit by a blast from the cold gun for the first time. He's still able to run away at super speed, which means he hasn't lost his powers and can still disarm or incapacitate Captain Cold in an eyeblink. But, yet again, he doesn't. Duuuuuuhhhhh...
I like to think that this is because Barry is being momentarily incapacitated by extreme fatigue as seen in Episode 1. Even though neither the acting nor directing actually attempt to convey this.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Yes, possibly fatigue (thought totally not depicted) but when he recovers, he zips by Captain Cold instead of subduing him. Alternately, he could transport him to a remote location in super speed to get him away from innocent bystanders. Still, taking the gun would have nipped everything in the bud. Not even sure why he got zapped in the first place. At first I assumed he was shielding Det West, but on rewatch, he's just standing there. Why? I guess because the writers couldn't figure out why Barry would ever get hit by anything.

The fatigue thing seems to have been dropped after Cisco developed the high calorie bar for Barry. He resuced every person on the train in super speed without any ill effects.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Another really strong episode. It was good seeing Clancy Brown, hope he does become a recurring character and I really liked Kelly Frye as Bette. It was too bad she had to go. The cast are all settling into their roles nicely. The highlights of the episode were the Flash running up the building and on water, the scenes between Barry/Flash and Iris and the final teaser. Now, if they could improve the costume and stop calling him the Streak, I did like how Cisco mentioned there was only 2 "suits" left. :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Pretty solid episode. I am enjoying this phase of the show as it continues to develop the backstories, additional characters, and Barry's abilities. Both of the cloaking mechanisms (face shake and altered voice) are pretty well done. Clancy Brown as a recurring character would be a welcome addition.

I keep wondering just how dark Harrison Welles is going to go and he doesn't disappoint.

When Barry/The Flash zipped past Iris (at the start of the episode) I expected her clothes to whip off of her body. Okay, I guess that would be the Benny Hill version of The Flash. :)

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks