What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

THE EGYPTIAN Blu Ray on DVD July 12 from Twilight!!!!! (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

If they sell out in a few days/weeks, I imagine it would be in their interest to make another run of discs, say 1000-1500. Why lose out on other potential sales? I understand the reasoning in making it a small run in order to test the waters, but if it's a smash hit, no reason to not take advantage of that.

That seems a reasonable thought, but Screen Archives Entertainment in the past, have released many soundtrack CD's that sold out the limited run and they did not do another run. Many of those OOP CD's are on Amazon for over $100.00 from private sellers. I would not take a chance on it, especially the Blu-ray.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by ahollis

That seems a reasonable thought, but Screen Archives Entertainment in the past, have released many soundtrack CD's that sold out the limited run and they did not do another run. Many of those OOP CD's are on Amazon for over $100.00 from private sellers. I would not take a chance on it, especially the Blu-ray.

Soundtrack CDs are quite different. They are often in limited numbers due to the amount in royalties that have to be paid to musicians - the more copies the higher the fee. It's quite different for DVD/Blu-ray. The 3000 limit is more likely a marketing plan.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...and the plan is to get folks to shell out nearly $40 for a BD release (nearly £29 shipped to the UK, excluding taxes, etc). Looks to be working too...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Douglas R

Soundtrack CDs are quite different. They are often in limited numbers due to the amount in royalties that have to be paid to musicians - the more copies the higher the fee. It's quite different for DVD/Blu-ray. The 3000 limit is more likely a marketing plan.

We will see but I just don't think this is the case. As I understood their agreement when announced with Fox it is for limited runs.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by John Hodson

...and the plan is to get folks to shell out nearly $40 for a BD release (nearly £29 shipped to the UK, excluding taxes, etc). Looks to be working too...

Well, it doesn't exactly seem like a get-rich quick scheme. If they stick to their original plan, they will gross $180,000. What will they net after licensing fees, scanning and digital work, materials, replication, packaging, taxes, etc?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I have paid roughly the same amount for a standard Criterion DVD release. I don't mind their $39.99 price tag for the blu-ray release. I know the work this company does and have ordered many film scores from Screen Archives as well as other companies they help distrubte titles for.

What they are doing isn't cheap and I agree with others this isn't a get rich scheme, these companies like Screen Archives, Intrada, Film Score Monthly etc usually roll over any collected money back into future releases. Specific film score releases can take a lof of planning and can take years to be released by these companies. The films I am sure are different to an extent however they do have a specific contractual agreement for their Twilight Time titles and I like to think they are doing a good service. Many of these titles would have rec'd a MOD DVD-R releases from most studios. They are trying harder and are selling manufactured pressed discs. The fact they are able to release their first Blu-Ray release is great.

I will support them in future releases as well.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There is an interview on Blu-ray.com from one of the Twilight Time guys talking about THE EGYPTIAN.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6728

In the interview he says that the THE EGYPTIAN is one of about 100 titles they have licensed from Fox and they are talking to other companies. I still am trying to get my mind wrapped around 100 titles from Fox and can just imagine what titles there are in that group.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I can't justify a blind-buy without reading a review or two first, not at that cost. Money's tight right now. So I guess I'm taking a big risk waiting. I definitely want this, though...

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Many of these titles would have rec'd a MOD DVD-R releases from most studios. They are trying harder and are selling manufactured pressed discs. The fact they are able to release their first Blu-Ray release is great.

I will support them in future releases as well.
I rushed to order two of them. As P&P observes, Screen Archives (Twilight Time) is as stand up a company as one is likely to encounter. I've been ordering soundtracks from them for almost two decades. They produce high quality OST CD's, as well. Their "Captain From Castile" is legendary. I'm certain it will be a sharp, colorful and great sounding blu-ray and I can't wait to experience it. Perhaps this limited release business is how we will get "Demetrius and the Gladiators", "Sodom and Gomorrah" (alright, but it is a hoot). "Beneath the 12-Mile Reef", "David and Bathsheba" or "The Story Of Ruth" in blu-ray. For folks like me who love these classic technicolor widescreen epics, it's a dream come true. I've seen the promised land, and it is blu-ray! And, where the hell is Warner Archives with this (MOD BLU-RAY DVD-R) ?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Craig, I can understand and appreciate your hesitation prior to seeing some reviews, but I imagine that any purchase would allow a return for a full refund as long as you don't open it. That way you won't miss having it if it should sell out before the reviews are posted and if you do decide to return it, you will only be out the shipping costs. Considering what this might potentially sell for on the secondary market, I think it's a better bet to take the gamble and pre-order.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who thinks the thread title makes no sense? A "Blu Ray on DVD"??

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Professor Echo

Craig, I can understand and appreciate your hesitation prior to seeing some reviews, but I imagine that any purchase would allow a return for a full refund as long as you don't open it. That way you won't miss having it if it should sell out before the reviews are posted and if you do decide to return it, you will only be out the shipping costs. Considering what this might potentially sell for on the secondary market, I think it's a better bet to take the gamble and pre-order.

Twilight Time has said that they are using a 2010 HD transfer for this film they were able to obtain from Fox. Since this is also their first Blu-ray title, I would expect that they would make sure this was going to be an excellent transfer.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Originally Posted by ahollis

Twilight Time has said that they are using a 2010 HD transfer for this film they were able to obtain from Fox. Since this is also their first Blu-ray title, I would expect that they would make sure this was going to be an excellent transfer.
Maybe they should just do blurays for titles with a HD transfer, and do MOd for everything else? You'd think that would enable Blu-rays at a cheaper price point than $40. (I say this as someone who has pre-ordered the Blu-ray)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ShowsOn

Maybe they should just do blurays for titles with a HD transfer, and do MOd for everything else? You'd think that would enable Blu-rays at a cheaper price point than $40. (I say this as someone who has pre-ordered the Blu-ray)

They are still sticking with their story that they are only going to make 3000 Blu-ray and 3000 DVD and no more. The limited number might be what is driving the price points. This will be intersting and yes I have pre-ordered Blu-ray also.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
MOD DVDs for $15 each would be better, they can then just press more if a title turns out to be popular. I have been told that they have licensed 100 titles "as is" without first finding out what sort of transfers Fox has. Many of them that I have asked about are widescreen but only 4:3.

I still don't understand how Criterion can make Eclipse titles for $15 effectively each from new transfers, but other companies can't do the same. OK, I appreciate that Eclipse films are rarely early Eastmancolor which are prone to fading.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Eureka in the UK license titles from (amongst other folks) Fox; even for a parsimonious so and so like me, I'd say their BD prices range from the very reasonable to downright steals. And that's in a market a fraction the size of the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks