What's new

THE EGYPTIAN Blu Ray on DVD July 12 from Twilight!!!!! (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Hope to receive this soon. Still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation, though it usually takes to around the 14th of the month, so I'll be patient.
ShowsOn said:
It wouldn't surprise me if Masters of Cinema releases The Egyptian on Blu-ray once the Twilight Time version is sold out. And I suspect ti will be half the price.

While I admire your wishful thinking on this, there is still the possibility it would be region encoded like some of their other Blu-rays. Still, it would be nice to have an international alternative in this case.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Professor Echo said:
Eagerly anticipating your review, Matt!

Yeah, me too. But this seems a bit expensive for me. Does anyone think the studio will do a regular price release at some point?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Professor Echo

Eagerly anticipating your review, Matt!

Sorry, guys. The disc is assigned to another reviewer to critique, but I will say that I was completely delighted with the video and audio quality of the disc. Lots of directionalized dialogue and the image quality is first rate.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
It arrived in the mail today....better than any Christmas present!!! I just watched THE EGYPTIAN Blu Ray. I have waited for this film to come out on DVD for so long I had given up hope. Now to have the Blu Ray is beyond my wildest dreams! It looks and sounds amazing!!!! Breathtaking! To think the first time I saw THE EGYPTIAN was on Saturday NIght at The Movies in black and white. There's also a trailer for FLIM FLAM MAN in August...and MY COUSIN RACHEL in September. Thank you TWILIGHT!!!!

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Wouldn't you know that the reviewer seems to be the last one to receive his disc to review? It still did not arrive today.

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
Received my Blu-Ray of The Egyptian today. Did a quick check (chapter by chapter) of the visual quality using a LG BD670 player and my LG 60PZ550. This is a stunning Blu-Ray with amazing detail and sound. I plan on watching the entire film this weekend on a 92" screen using my Optoma HD180. I've been to Egypt. I've read the book by Mika Waltari and I've seen this film on TV, on VHS and on laserdisc. I never dreamed it could look this good. If you are a fan of The Egyptian you will not be disappointed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My only question is why Fox didn't want to release this on its own? I understand that it's hardly the best film ever made or a fondly remembered classic in the same way that others 50s films are remembered, Still, I hope Fox will look a little harder at its Cinemascope films from the 1950s and put out a few under its own banner (Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, Three Coins in the Fountain, Demetrius and the Gladiators, There's No Business Like Show Business, River of No Return, Peyton Place, for starters).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Got mine today! And yes, I am. I like a few classy refrigerator magnets now and then.

Can't wait till late this evening when I'll have me some private alone time to sample this baby.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Timothy E said:
Wouldn't you know that the reviewer seems to be the last one to receive his disc to review? It still did not arrive today.
I have a feeling they're sending copies in the order that they received them. In other words, people who were among the first to preorder will be among the first to get their copies. Someone here received theirs on Friday - I ordered at the beginning of this month so I might have to wait a while :)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Got mine today :)
Dave B Ferris said:
Is everyone enjoying their refrigerator magnet, as well? :)
Thought you were referring to the regular magnets they include, but noticed this is a special "Egyptian" magnet. Indeed, it was a pleasant surprise.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Okay, I'll ask the stupid question here: What regular magnets? Have I missed other ones?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Chas in CT said:
Okay, I'll ask the stupid question here: What regular magnets? Have I missed other ones?
It's a standard "Twilight Time" rectangular magnet with the Twilight Time logo and the text "A Limited Edition Series of Classic Films of DVD" with the SAE logo on the bottom. The last few previous DVD releases had them. This it the first one that is unique to film itself.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I watched this last night. The transfer is perfect. It's definitely not a great film but one thats very interesting to watch. There's a lot going on between the lines...there is a political point of view here even if I can't decipher exactly what it is. I dunno if it's over my head or if the film is just confused. I hope Glenn Erickson does a review of this, I'd love to read his thoughts. Wish there was more Ustinov in this. The film comes alive whenever he is on screen.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It's a standard "Twilight Time" rectangular magnet with the Twilight Time logo and the text "A Limited Edition Series of Classic Films of DVD" with the SAE logo on the bottom. The last few previous DVD releases had them. This it the first one that is unique to film itself.

Wow. Not that I need multiple copies of a "generic"Twilight Time magnet, but it's a little alarming (and embarrassing) to say I don't have a single one of those. I'm glad I detected the Egyptian one at the bottom of the bubble pack, because movie-specific stuff can be fun to display. Now I know, thanks, and I'll watch for the others.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The history behind the film on the cover is a nice touch by SAE. I enjoyed what i saw yesterday. Have not watched the whole movie yet. Marilyn Monroe would have been much better as Nefer. The whole Nefer thing is crazy. I never understood the script about Nefer and what all this guy does. I have the book. The book of course does a better job about Nefer. I decided to begin reading it this week. SAE will also provide you with the film score which is the best thing about this movie. Contact Lukas Kendal Film Score Monthly for the music.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Actually, for those REALLY interested in the music, Varese Sarabande has just announced a special 2-CD Deluxe Edition of "The Egyptian" featuring over 30 minutes more than the 72-minute FSM CD. As is true with the film's isolated score on Blu-ray, the new CD set is pressed from a recently discovered, and more complete (and some say much better) source than FSM had access to many years back. As Nick Redman was involved in the FSM release, and now the Blu-ray/DVD AND 2-CD music release, I'd have to say it's more than a fair bet that the new CD set will be "definitive." Go to varesesarabande.com. VS is pressing only 1,500 of the deluxe edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks