What's new

THE EGYPTIAN Blu Ray on DVD July 12 from Twilight!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Oh, I have to say I disagree about Monroe as Nefer. I cannot even imagine her as Nefer. Nefer was a Babylonian beauty with, allegedly, unmatched skills in lovemaking (not that poor Sinuhe ever found out about those).

PatH

Second Unit
I posted this in After Hours or somewhere at HTF but maybe all the fans here will have other info. I have an old copy of the book around here somewhere that I read decades ago. I started looking for an ebook version (there's not, legally, though you can get it in PDF, but in this process, I found reference that the Naomi Walford translation in 1949 is abridged. Is this so; must I learn Finnish to read the whole thing? Audible has a two-part set (many CDS) billed as unabridged, but they're using the Walford translation, so unless she did two . . . . PatH

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
THANKYOU RON!!!! I just put my order in. The idea of this cd and the movie too now I believe it is Christmas. I wonder too about the book deal. The subject was brought up on another thread. I have the book of the month news inside the book and a very nice cover that shows other published version's on the back. The book club states this is the only english version. Now perhaps after 1949 when it came out someone did another translation. I would love a complete version, more investigation needs to be done. I am going to look into this myself. Ron sorry i think Marilyn would have been great. The movie of course would have been delayed etc etc. Hey did you notice the trailer used Jean Simmons Diana theme from the Robe.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Actually, the perfect actress for Nefer came into Fox's contract stable a year after the film was made - Joan Collins would have been a perfect Nefer. However, ANYONE would have been preferable to Bella Darvi.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Matt never thought of Collins for that role. She did play the temptress role a great deal in fox films. I looked all over on the book issue. The only one I could find was the Finnish language one which was 700 plus pages. The two english translated versions have almost the same page count. THE INTERNATIONAL COLLECTORS LIBRARY EDITION is out there and could be unabridged. Well i have something new to look for in the Library Book Sales i attend each spring and fall.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
The background to Darvi's casting is well known given she was the current lover of DFZ at the time( and also apparently of his wife as well.) Collins would have been interesting casting but anybody would have been better than the first choice-Marlene Dietrich!.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I found out the truth about the unabridged and abridged versions from a site a came upon. Here is what i found out. Sadly, the only English language version available of the novel is an abridged version, which cuts the original 900+ page novel down to 500+ pages. The complete novel has been translated unabridged to several other languages though. The movie has some substantial differences from the novel.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
For fans of this film, and fans of classics and Cinemascope, I just posted a major column on The Egyptian for my Silver Screen Column on Blu-ray.com with tons of rare graphics, posters, ads and behind the scenes material, I hope you enjoy it. Watched the movie tonight, how glorious, classic Hollywood! They don't make 'em like this anymore!

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Just ordered this one. I love films like this and it's nice to read that it's a great release quality-wise. Thanks.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Received my copy yesterday. No magnet, though. Stunning PQ. Before this film I only knew Edmund Purdom from a couple of hardcore slasher flicks that he made in the early 80's, notably Pieces. Looking forward to watching the film.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Fantastic!!!!! Wonderful memory of the magazine I subscribed to years ago! My copy is still in pristine condition!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
While I would love to own this Blu-ray, I will not pay $45 for a single movie release. Unfortunately due to the fact that it's a limited edition, used copies will cost even more. My only hope is that Fox will decide to bring it out later as a regular Blu-ray release.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mark-P said:
My only hope is that Fox will decide to bring it out later as a regular Blu-ray release.
That isn't your only hope. There is a faint possibility a European BRD will be released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks