What's new

The Apprentice Season 2 thread (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
quote:It seemed VERY optimistic to me to think that someone would accept $40K in insurance premium when there was a 1/200 risk of losing $1M.

Yes, when I heard that, I thought no chance in hell. Maybe if it was one in 10,000 or something like that. For the record, I thought the guys did a better job. Getting Piazza was a good idea, but he seemed mortified to be there and looked like he thought the toothpaste was disgusting.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
quote:It seemed VERY optimistic to me to think that someone would accept $40K in insurance premium when there was a 1/200 risk of losing $1M.

Does anyone know where that number came from? It seems really low, especially when you could have had 1,000+ participants. How did they determine the odds?

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
quote:Does anyone know where that number came from? It seems really low, especially when you could have had 1,000+ participants. How did they determine the odds?

I believe the plan was to have one person win, and then that person would receive a 1 in 200 chance of winning $1M. E.g., there is one "magic" toothpaste box out of all the boxes they distribute during the circus. The holder of that box gets to choose a ball/spin the wheel/etc., where the odds of winning are 1 in 200.

The insurance fee doesn't seem unrealistic. With a 1 in 200 chance at $1M, the expected payoff is only $5,000. Insurance is all about probabilities.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Kevin. That makes a bit more sense. I'm surprised as a fallback they didn't go back to the lawyers and say "if you won't approve $1 million, what will you approve?" Maybe they could have gotten $100 grand or something.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> It seemed VERY optimistic to me to think that someone would accept $40K in insurance premium when there was a 1/200 risk of losing $1M.

As others have said, those numbers seem reasonable to me. Andy seems bright enough to be able to calculate odds. I thought it was a great idea, but getting lawyers to approve anything that fast is tough.

It wasn't just the $1 million they had problems with, but complying with sweepstakes / contest laws.

How much does Piazza make per season? How much does that translate to per game? Even though 20 grand is a lot to us, it's pocket change to him, so no surprise he wanted that much. I didn't see how they got the word out that he'd be there.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Piazza's current contract:

1999: $6.0M (+$7.5M signing bonus, $4.0M paid initially)

2000: $11.0M

2001: $12.5M

2002: $9.5M (+remaining $3.5M of signing bonus Dec 15 2002)

2003: $14.5M

2004: $15.0M

2005: $15.0M

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Little Stacy is the snarky one. She's the one that pressed the Crazie Stacie angle which saved either Elizabeth or Maria. It was fun but sad to watch those 2 imcompetent women pile on Crazie Stacie when they saw an opportunity to save themselves at another's expense.

What it means is that Trump has no hard-and-fast criteria as to whom he fires, and the tasks teams perform have little bearing in being the criteria for the losing team members dismissals. The show is getting lamer in this respect. The "It's just business" line is being shown to be a fraud.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I was very surprised at Trump firing Stacie Jay! If nothing else, but for the very fact that she is good TV. Kind of stupid to let go of your most controversial player in the third episode if your decision is ratings based. Especially since there were other much more deserving candidates. I thought Maria should have gotten the axe, no question. She didn't just go over budget, she went WAAAAAAY over budget. That was the sole reason that P&G didn't pick Apex. If not for the budget, they win, bottom line as the rep said. Maria did the deal. the only other person who could possibly be responsible is Elizabeth, the team leader, just for being in charge when it happened.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
quote:What it means is that Trump has no hard-and-fast criteria as to whom he fires, and the tasks teams perform have little bearing in being the criteria for the losing team members dismissals. The show is getting lamer in this respect. The "It's just business" line is being shown to be a fraud.

Exactly. They may as well change the name to Trump Survivor.

Those girls are totally evil. They completely exaggerated what happened with Stacy. I couldn't believe it when one girls (don't remember who) said she was afraid for her life!! They should be ashamed of themselves. Maria blew this task and caused them to lose. She should have been fired.

BTW, was there a rebroadcast Sat with extra footage?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There was an abriged Saturday episode which shortened the task competition, and featured more footage from the boardroom in last week's episode.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
quote:Those girls are totally evil. They completely exaggerated what happened with Stacy. I couldn't believe it when one girls (don't remember who) said she was afraid for her life!! They should be ashamed of themselves. Maria blew this task and caused them to lose. She should have been fired.

The other thing is that is is bad strategy right off the bat. I would have tried to keep Stacy around a bit longer figuring that she would be easier prey later in the game. Maria may have made a huge blunder in that challenge, but overall, she will probably be tougher competition.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The women's team is really bad. I told y'all that Stacy is a snarky one. Jenn C was out of her league. Jenn M has a good head on her shoulders.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, that was certainly an ugly one. There's always so much cattyness. They just can't seem to work together. Anyway, I'm not sure I like how they seem to be going to survivor route and showing all the post challenge planning and allience building. Not a good way to play this game (sorry, job interview) It was kind of weird seeing Bill lay the smackdown in the boardroom when he was on the other side like 2 weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks