What's new

The Amazing Race 22 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
It's awkward that the show featured a song about communism? When is this, 1983?

Heaven forbid a show that allows people to adventure throughout the world, exploring other peoples and cultures includes things such as...culture!

It is completely possible to display something without celebrating or glorifying it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial said:
It is completely possible to display something without celebrating or glorifying it.
I totally agree with you Josh. The Vietnamese people suffered through a lot and it has become their heritage, their culture.

We as Americans have also suffered, Pearl Harbor, Oklahoma City, World Trade Center, etc. and I'm just as uncomfortable with those monuments as I was with the B-52 memorial.

I didn't mean to insult their culture, but even though it's history, a lesson that shouldn't be lost, the monuments still make me uncomfortable.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Stan said:
I totally agree with you Josh. The Vietnamese people suffered through a lot and it has become their heritage, their culture.

We as Americans have also suffered, Pearl Harbor, Oklahoma City, World Trade Center, etc. and I'm just as uncomfortable with those monuments as I was with the B-52 memorial.

I didn't mean to insult their culture, but even though it's history, a lesson that shouldn't be lost, the monuments still make me uncomfortable.
My comments were more directed at the reactions (both here and elsewhere) toward the "Communism song." People are, for some reason, surprised that CBC aired those scenes, as if some a song sung by South Korean teenagers presents a clear and present danger to the American way of life.

Regarding the memorial, "uncomfortable" is one thing: "insulted" is quite another. The episode simply showed a thing (place) that exists in Hanoi. It's no different than showing an internment camp in California or British Columbia, or the Vimy Ridge Memorial in France (a place that has very important meaning for many Canadians), or a concentration camp in Germany. Uncomfortable I can understand--I would hope people feel some discomfort when encountering memories of war or hardship. This affected "insult" that people seem so easy to jump to these days has just reached a strange level.

The Amazing Race showcases other cultures and locales unlike any other show on television. It does so without making *any* judgment on those cultures or its people. It acknowledges the history of the world without blaming. It shows interesting aspects of other societies without mocking or belittling them.

Honestly, the world would be a far more enjoyable place if its inhabitants all displayed the sort of understanding and acceptance that the show does.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I still thought it was strange for CBS to air the Communist song, since in past seasons, the producers had to change the colors of the race flags whenever they went to Vietnam. Phil would say that it was done to prevent confusion with the national flag of Vietnam, making the race flags white and yellow or a solid yellow. What they won't tell you, is that the red and yellow race flags are similar to that of the former South Vietnam, since it tends to be a contentious issue.
With the memorial, I guess the race has to show something relating to the war while in Vietnam. Otherwise, it's basically the white elephant in the room, as the first thing that comes to most people's minds when it comes to Vietnam, is the war. I did not find it any different than when they showed the Hanoi Hilton back in season 10, which was where John McCain was imprisoned. And people did not go crazy over that.
And I have no problem with the show showing sites that may make people uncomfortable. In fact, I was surprised that the 2 times that they went to Cambodia, there was no mention of the "killing fields". But now that I think about, as one of those visits came after Vietnam, I guess the producers did not want to give viewers a double dose of uncomfortability.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As I was watching this week's show, I kept wondering who
I was actually rooting for? After awhile, I came to the conclusion
that I liked none of these teams. Really, is anybody rooting for a
winner here? I suppose, at this point, If I was forced to pick a
team it would be the Hockey Players.

Of course, the most despised team happened to come in last
and then was fortunate enough not to be eliminated. How sad.

As for fingernails on the chalkboard grating, I don't know who
is worse...the hillbilly couple who thinks The Lion King was made
in Africa or the YouTube couple who nobody seems to like.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm rooting for the Hockey Players and Pam & Winnie. Both teams seem friendly enough with the locals and the other teams, yet still play a competitive game.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I guess it should have come as no surprise that CBS issued an apology for the episode in Vietnam. The right thing to do, mainly to calm most of the people down on the whole issue. Moving on...After that, I don't know if the episode or the caffeine withdrawal gave me the headache, because there were enough moments that annoyed me for the same reasons already mentioned. While the Roadblock did not seem too difficult in itself, having to touch a scorpion is pretty scary. Then again, I have a bit of a bug phobia, and probably would react the same way as Joey. And later get laughed at, by the natives haha!
Ronald Epstein said:
Even worse, was how I was so relieved that the roller derby moms did not make the mistake of driving to the pit stop, as I thought that saved them from elimination, and no more of the anti-socialites! But nope, we have to endure another leg of *them*!
Ronald Epstein said:
Yeah, even Meghan and her Sarah Silverman voice is starting to get on my nerves as well, which makes the YouTubers even more unbearable. At least with Chuck & Wynona, I actually find their stupidity funny. And I guess the other teams do as well, as you could see the look on their faces on the plane when Chuck made that comment about The Lion King.

Josh Dial said:
I'm rooting for the Hockey Players and Pam & Winnie. Both teams seem friendly enough with the locals and the other teams, yet still play a competitive game.
Same here, and also rooting for the roller derby moms as well. I'm neutral on the country singers, and the rest, well... I hope they are the next 3 teams gone next.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
I was actually rooting for? After awhile, I came to the conclusion
that I liked none of these teams. Really, is anybody rooting for a
winner here? I suppose, at this point, If I was forced to pick a
team it would be the Hockey Players.

Had a feeling this would be a non-elimination round, so Max and Katie are saved. Starting to like them, their "arrogance" factor seems to be wearing off, but also rooting for the Hockey Players. All it takes is another airline or timing issue visiting some site that doesn't open until 8 a.m. and everybody's equal again.

Glad to know we can use the phrase "hillbilly couple". That was my first thought when I saw them, especially that ridiculous haircut the guy has. Figured it would be to rude and I'd get a warning or be banned from the forum.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Stan,

It's not my intention to be insulting to a certain type of individual.

I know there has been arguments either in this thread, or perhaps
in the SURVIVOR thread about making fun of hillbillies.

I don't know what else to call them. It seems obvious that the
producers of the show picked the husband and wife for their
type of characteristics. I mean, at the start of this week's show,
there was hillbilly type music playing in the background as the
husband spoke. They are certainly playing up on the stereotype,
even making light of the silly comment about The Lion King.

It's my hope that nobody is insulted by the words I am using to
describe these individuals.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I understand what you're saying. Definitely a stereotype the network is using.

Not a phrase I would ever use, but at the same time, like you mentioned, what else do you call them? It's one of those words that we all probably think of, but know it's impolite to use it (not meant as an insult to you). It's kind of like "Spam", a word that will never fade away.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Ronald Epstein said:
I was actually rooting for?
In our house we rarely start rooting for any team or individual (i'm including survivor here as well) until at least half way through the season. There are just too many people and personalities to keep track of. Occasionally we'll get sympathetic towards a particular team and start rooting for them early on but that doesn't always hold true to the end.

Basically, at this stage, we only really root for someone if they're neck and neck with a team we don't like. We don't know who we want to win, but we definitely know who we don't.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Heh...I think it's easier to find teams you don't want to win early on and hope they get eliminated...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Very surprising elimination. Just goes to show that
you can be one of the strongest teams and then when
something goes wrong in one leg of the race...you are out!

And just a warning to anyone driving in Botswana...

Don't Speed and watch out for poles jumping out at
the back of your vehicle.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Ronald Epstein said:
Very surprising elimination. Just goes to show that
you can be one of the strongest teams and then when
something goes wrong in one leg of the race...you are out!

And just a warning to anyone driving in Botswana...

Don't Speed and watch out for poles jumping out at
the back of your vehicle.
Yeah, I just can't believe that Pam & Winnie got eliminated, all because of the last animal cutout looking like 2 animals, as they kept missing the ostrich one. They should have stuck with the Brawn task, as I thought they switched a little prematurely, as the other teams were not even finished stacking the wood into the carts, and could have seen what they did, to get those donkeys to move.

Speaking of speeding in Botswana, the country girls are really lucky that the stranger did not take the money and run away with it. Sucks for anyone to be put in that position.

Seeing this Fast Forward, oh man, I just hate seeing it still being in the race, as this one would otherwise be a first-in, first-out type of task. Great that the hockey players got it, and even had the best prize for finishing first in a leg. Second best overall, only behind winning a million dollars in the final leg.

It is surprising to see Chuck & Wynona still in the race, and making it this far. They even got the animal task correct on the first try, which is even more surprising.

Now, we have to wait 2 weeks til the next episode, as the race heads to Europe.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Walter C said:
Great that the hockey players got it, and even had the best prize for finishing first in a leg. Second best overall, only behind winning a million dollars in the final leg.
I still don't know which one is which, but I'm tired of the long haired one. First, he admits to not being able to get up the last time he tried to water ski. Then, when he does something most of the world has already done, he thinks he's great, only to sit there in his underwear and flex his arm. Really? Give me the other one...I'm tired of long hair.

Otherwise, we're still waiting for Katie and Max to be eliminated. They're just...grating and irritating. But then, we've known that since the first episode, right?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Jason_V said:
I still don't know which one is which, but I'm tired of the long haired one. First, he admits to not being able to get up the last time he tried to water ski. Then, when he does something most of the world has already done, he thinks he's great, only to sit there in his underwear and flex his arm. Really? Give me the other one...I'm tired of long hair.
He was totally playing that all for laughs--he was just kidding around! Seems like a typical hockey player to me: joking around and having fun.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I clearly didn't take it as a joke, clearly. :D At least he actually did the task and didn't wimp out like the doctor brothers in Bali (I think).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
I clearly didn't take it as a joke, clearly. :D At least he actually did the task and didn't wimp out like the doctor brothers in Bali (I think).
Maybe it was just a joke, but he's clearly very impressed with himself, although physically the other guy is much more fit than he is, he looked pretty scrawny to me. They do seem to be nice guys, which can be really helpful in this game.

Even though I don't really care for them, I think Max and Katie might win this.

Yet as we saw with Pam & Winnie, one tiny mistake and you're out, so it's still anybody's game.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Spoilers Ahead.....

I am going to make a few assumptions about this week's
The Amazing Race that hopefully my fellow HTF viewers will be
in agreement about....

First, I think it was pretty obvious from the start of the episode
which team would be eliminated. There was a lot of emphasis
put on Chuck and Wynona and their constant squabbling. I am
guessing that the way Chuck treated his wife throughout the leg
of the race built up a lot of resentment from the audience watching
at home. I think some of the things that Chuck said to Wynona were
pretty pathetic.

So, I am assuming that probably everyone reading this wanted that
team out of the race this week. If that's correct, I am also assuming
that everyone felt this was one of the most nail-biting pitstops this season.

For me, it was a team that I desperately wanted out, arriving next to
last at the pitstop. However, hopes were suddenly raised once we find
out that they are being penalized for not transporting the cheese correctly.
Of course, now the hope is that everything works out as it should....Joey
and Meghan arrive last but because of Chuck and Wynona's penalty, they
still remain in the race. Thankfully this is an elimination round and the couple
I am assuming most of us wanted out is finally outed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks