What's new

Syndicated shows, when cutting started? (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You are on The Fugitive Board, but here, for some reason, you are showing up.

You should be able to get a well-paying job somewhere as a cutting-edge smartass and make some money from your flaming insecurities. Quit wasting your measure of "talent" on message boards.

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
Like some of you I loved Little House on The Prairie. There is just over 2 minutes and some odd seconds cut from each episode. Have any of you watched it lately??? It's up to 6 minutes now. OUCH!! Here's an odd one. In the 70's, I believe on Tuesday nights, Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley ran back to back. Yet on dvd Happy Days has a longer running time. I guess the Fonze wouldn't take to cuts.

Fact of the matter is, it has to be cheaper to put a smaller number in minutes with more episodes on each dvd. Uses less discs that way. And it's cheaper for the prodution company to mass copy. , Did you know that in 1955 Dragnet starring Jack Webb, ran for almost 28 minutes. Compare that to todays 22.20 seconds. Welcome to commerical time. By the way Jack Webb was the only civilian to my knowlege to receive a full police funeral after his death.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Since starting this thread, I've been watching Branded. It also has some pretty bad cuts in some of the episodes. It is bad enough to have abrupt stops and starts on commercial breaks. But when you see credits that include actors that didn't even appear in the episode that is pretty bad.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm not saying trimming shows to get more episodes on a disc has never happened, but it seems unlikely given the Little House discs and the space on DVDs. Usually episodes are cut because that's the shape the print they use for transferring is in.

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

Shows were edited for syndication, on local channels, when I was a kid in the early 60s. Standard length for a typical network primetime commercial break was 60 seconds at the time. Once a show moved into syndication, each spot would normally consist of at least two minutes of ads, and shows would be edited accordingly--frequently, very poorly, by folks at the local station who were cutting/splicing the 16mm prints that they were receiving.

I first noticed digital time compression showing up on a couple of local stations in the mid 1980s...I hated it from the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks