What's new

Shows cut before broadcast (1 Viewer)

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Someone online has done tons of research about Claudius. 3 edits were made the day of broadcast. The original running time of that episode is: 51:47. Additional cuts were made after the first rerun two days later, bringing the running time down to: 51:32. In 1978, "generic titles" were cut, bringing the final time down to: 51:22. However, it was discovered that these missing seconds belonged to a BBC Classic Serials umbrella title opening. That ran: 23 seconds. That would be in the ballpark of the original running time.
Since so many edits were made before the broadcast, I doubt they would have left in the most gory shot. I believe all trims made after the first broadcast were done to a copy, and we have the original, uncut since the pre-premiere editing.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
As per Paul Vanezis, a pro in the industry (who's also a part of the Doctor Who Restoration Team):

The ending of "Zeus, By Jove" was indeed deleted from the transmission tape after the first transmission and before the repeat and has effectively been lost forever. I remain hopeful though that some sort of copy of it turns up eventually. We shall see.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
The writer also said that his ending was cut in script form before being shot. Who knows what exactly was seen and what wasn't. If it was edited three times before it even premiered, they obviously weren't comfortable with the material. Personally, I like it as it is now. Just enough to be horrifying, and leaving the rest to the imagination. If they had shown more I probably would hate the show. It isn't necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks