What's new

Cheers - Complete List of Cuts and Music Replacements (1 Viewer)

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
It seems like every time there is a thread about Cheers, the topic of music replacements comes up. Rather than putting this in an existing thread, I thought this topic deserved its own thread given how many times this has come up over the years.

Searching through the various threads here and elsewhere, I have compiled a list of all known edits to Cheers on the Region 1 (North American) DVD releases. This does NOT cover edits to streaming episodes, as there have been reports that there are different edits to them. However, I have noted when an edit from the DVD is fixed on the streaming version.

Season 4, Episode 20 - Save the Last Dance For Me - Last few seconds of "Da Doo Ron Ron" replaced with generic music.

Season 6, Episode 22 - Slumber Party Massacred - Roy Orbison's "Only the Lonely" replaced with generic music.

Season 7, Episode 12 - Please Mr. Postman - “Unchained Melody” used instead of “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling.” Syndicated versions have this difference too. “You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling” was mentioned by name in the episode, so the change is quite noticeable. One person on HTF reported that they checked their recording of the original broadcast and it does include the correct song, so the change was made after the original airing.

Season 9, Episode 5 - Ma Always Liked You Best - One scene is cut short to remove Carla singing the theme from Winnie the Pooh. This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 9, Episode 6 - Grease - “I Fought the Law” replaced with generic music (multiple instances). The music being played is part of the gag, so this is especially unfortunate.

Season 10, Episode 2 - Get Your Kicks On Route 666 - An establishing shot and the first few seconds of a scene was cut to remove the gang singing along to Dion's “The Wanderer.” This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 10, Episode 4 - The Norm Who Came in from the Cold - While Frasier and Lilith are in bed, the rest of the Cheers gang can be heard singing. The part with them singing "Those Were the Days" is replaced (with, I think, a repeat of the previous song they were singing. A few seconds are then cut that contained direct video of them singing "Those Were the Days."

Season 10, Episode 7 - Bar Wars V: The Final Judgement - Monster Mash replaced with “Vampire Twist.”

Season 10, Episode 23 - Bar Wars VI: This Time It's for Real - There are a few second of the gang joyfully walking into Cheers and sort of grunting some notes. Their grunts have been muted. This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 10, Episode 26 - An Old-Fashioned Wedding, Part 2 - Lilith sings “Make 'em laugh” as she leaves the kitchen. This was muted. This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 11, Episode 26 - One for the Road - Various cuts due to CBS apparently using the three-part cut version and then editing them back together without adding back the cut footage. Runs about 3 minutes short. This is the only episode with cuts that are not music related.

If you are aware of any additional edits to the DVD releases, please add them here. If anyone wants to add a post describing the edits unique to the streaming episodes, please feel free to do so (I kept the thread title generic enough to allow more than just the DVDs to be discussed).

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
On the DVD's, is the music that plays while Norm is working at the beer distillery in 'The King of Beers' (Season 11 - Episode 3) original?

Seemed different to me than I recall from syndication, but I haven't watched this episode on tv in probably 5 years or more until yesterday when I watched it on DVD, so I could be mistaken.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Season 11, Episode 3 - The King of Beers - About a minute of instrumental music during the beer factory montage has been replaced with a soundalike. Original version sounds like a jazzy Put On A Happy Face with piano and saxophone. Replacement is generic and piano (with a little bit of flute). Might be wrong about the instruments, as my ear for that isn't great. Original version has regular Cheers scene intro cue that flows into the music, but the replacement just starts right with the replacement music. This has been restored in streaming episodes.

On the DVD's, is the music that plays while Norm is working at the beer distillery in 'The King of Beers' (Season 11 - Episode 3) original? Seemed different to me than I recall from syndication, but I haven't watched this episode on tv in probably 5 years or more until yesterday when I watched it on DVD, so I could be mistaken.
Excellent ears, my friend! I would add it to my list, but I apparently can't edit posts that old. The new addition is above.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm 99.9% sure that I found another one.

The music that plays during "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Bar" (Season 11 - Episode 14) when the Cheers regulars are tearing apart the bar looking for a non-existent money belt, isn't familiar sounding to me nor what I'd consider a very suitable replacement. It sounds very much out of place, as if they weren't even trying at this point with trying to substitute music with something that still sounds like it fits.

Much unlike earlier seasons. I hate to say it since music replacement is obviously annoying to us that know the show, but Vampire Twist for instance instead of Monster Mash in Bar Wars V doesn't sound out of place. I don't think anyone unfamiliar with the show would question if it was original when viewing this episode.

This though sounds obviously out of place.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
In the Slumber Party Massacred episode- is Orbison’s Only The Lonely playing during the “party” scene at Carla’s house? She’s wearing the dark glasses and the black bandana over her hair, kind of swaying to music, while Rebecca and Dorothy are messing with Lilith’s hair.

The I Fought The Law replacement in the Grease episode is awful- completely ruins a couple of jokes.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Yeah, the removal of I Fought the Law is the worst. I don't know what the licensing fee would've been, but I sure wish they would've splurged and paid it since unlike most all of these other cuts, this one goes beyond being annoying and genuinely harms the episode.

I suspect Only the Lonely has been gone even in syndication for many years. I can't recall ever hearing it in that episode. Anyone happen to know?

Same with the Da Doo Ron Ron in the episode 'Save the Last Dance For Me'. I don't remember that one at all even though I love that song and Only the Lonely.

I didn't get into Cheers until perhaps 2005, so I suspect both of these had already been replaced in the syndication versions by that point? I suppose I should just count my blessings that the Righteous Brothers stuff was and remains basically intact, since that really would've been a shame (The song swap in the episode 'Please Mr. Postman' works fine).

Last edited:

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Season 11, Episode 14 - It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Bar - Music while the gang tears apart the bar looking for hidden money has been replaced. Original music was Money (That's What I Want) by Barrett Strong. Replacement music is a knock-off: “I Want Money.” This has been restored in streaming episodes.

I'm 99.9% sure that I found another one. The music that plays during "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Bar" (Season 11 - Episode 14) when the Cheers regulars are tearing apart the bar looking for a non-existent money belt, isn't familiar sounding to me nor what I'd consider a very suitable replacement. It sounds very much out of place, as if they weren't even trying at this point with trying to substitute music with something that still sounds like it fits.
Correct again! That was definitely weird. I wouldn't say that they weren't trying, because they did use a "money" themed song for the replacement when they could just thrown in generic music of any kind, but it did sound bad. Warner Bros. was able to license that song for Tiny Toon Adventures on DVD, so I can't imagine that it was too expensive. They seem to have decided to pay for it for Cheers in the years since, so I suspect that they were being unreasonably cheap for the DVD release.

In the Slumber Party Massacred episode- is Orbison’s Only The Lonely playing during the “party” scene at Carla’s house? She’s wearing the dark glasses and the black bandana over her hair, kind of swaying to music, while Rebecca and Dorothy are messing with Lilith’s hair.
Yes, that is the place where the replacement was made.

Yeah, the removal of I Fought the Law is the worst. I don't know what the licensing fee would've been, but I sure wish they would've splurged and paid it since unlike most all of these other cuts, this one goes beyond being annoying and genuinely harms the episode.
Seasons 9, 10, and 11 were handled by CBS DVD rather than Paramount Home Video like the other seasons were. It might not have been that the licensing cost was unusually high, but rather that they were trying to save wherever possible. We'll never know what happened, but given that some other music has been restored and that one hasn't, I suspect that it really is more difficult or expensive to get.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
One thing to keep in mind is that for quite awhile CBS Home Entertainment had a policy of clearing music for their DVD releases in perpetuity. That way they would never have to worry about it again. While a great idea, it could get very expensive (CBS paid a small fortune for season 1 of Happy Days). I'm pretty sure that policy was in place throughout the Cheers DVD releases. For "The Lucy Show" DVDs they switched to a "penny rate" deal, which allowed them to clear almost all the music. (I don't think they had been educated on it up to that point). A music publisher could potentially make more money with the penny rate if sales were good, and it was less money up front for CBS. Example: Suppose it costs $1500 to buy out one song. CBS pays that money regardless. With a 10 cent "penny rate", if the release sells only 1,000 units, the song only costs CBS $100 and at least the music rights holder gets something. If the release sells 30,000 units, the song costs CBS $3,000 but it's worth it for the sales. Also the music publisher is happy because he actually makes more than he would have. Of course it always depends on what the music rights holder is willing to negotiate.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seasons 9, 10, and 11 were handled by CBS DVD rather than Paramount Home Video like the other seasons were. It might not have been that the licensing cost was unusually high, but rather that they were trying to save wherever possible. We'll never know what happened, but given that some other music has been restored and that one hasn't, I suspect that it really is more difficult or expensive to get.

8,9,10, and 11.

Anyway, what are these different edits in the streaming versions? It seems like they have more correct versions with all the music reinserted.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Is there any truth to the notion that the transfers were inconsistent on the dvd season sets after season 6 or so? (From googling and reading reviews on amazon and other message boards)

I wasn't really into the later seasons of Cheers. So I only picked up the seasons 1-6 dvd set when I saw it for $10 at a nearby wallymart. As far as I can tell, the transfers for seasons 1 to 6 look like they're from hd versions and not older sd/ntsc ones.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is there any truth to the notion that the transfers were inconsistent on the dvd season sets after season 6 or so? (From googling and reading reviews on amazon and other message boards)

I wasn't really into the later seasons of Cheers. So I only picked up the seasons 1-6 dvd set when I saw it for $10 at a nearby wallymart. As far as I can tell, the transfers for seasons 1 to 6 look like they're from hd versions and not older sd/ntsc ones.

The entire series was remastered in 2001 for syndication. So it's not an old tape matter, if there is any issue.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
8,9,10, and 11.

Anyway, what are these different edits in the streaming versions? It seems like they have more correct versions with all the music reinserted.

As much as I love Cheers, I wasn't aware of all these music edits. I have all 11 seasons on DVD. But considering the digital version now. It's such a good price and in HD. Do they look great? I remember on some of episodes on the DVDs, seeing certain scenes look horribly dark. I figured bad tape transfers and wonder if they've been cleaned up for streaming.

On a side note, would love to discover more "digital reviews" out there, not just disc reviews. Hopefully that will happen over time.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I remember on some of episodes on the DVDs, seeing certain scenes look horribly dark. I figured bad tape transfers and wonder if they've been cleaned up for streaming.

I'm guessing the only reason for various random scenes (or episodes) looking kinda crappy, is if CBS wasn't able to find some of the original film masters in decent condition and/or they were not willing to pay for an extensive restoration on the problematic scenes/episodes (back in 2001-2002).

(IIRC for another show Happy Days, there were several episodes on the dvd sets which looked like older ntsc non-hd transfers).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wish I could remember the name of the episode- one of the plots is Norm offers to help Carla through an IRS audit. There is at least one very rough edit that appears to remove a piece of dialog or music. I’ll have to see if I can find out which episode it is.

Found it- in season 8- Sammy And The Professor. Carla is leaving the bar with the auditor, and there is an edit that appears to delete something, at least in the DVD set.

Last edited:

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
8,9,10, and 11.

From my understanding, season 8 was prepared by Paramount prior to the merger. The set was released in June 2006, and the merger had taken effect earlier in 2006. However, clearing music rights would have been one of the first things done in getting a release ready, so it was very likely done prior to the merger. That's why I said those seasons (1-8) were "handled" by Paramount. Technically, season 8 was released by CBS (the logo is on the box), but all the prep work was probably done before CBS had any control. After season 8, there was a two year gap in the releases and what followed had more edits and different physical appearance to the sets. Even though it has the CBS logo on it, season 8 seems to be firmly in the Paramount success story side (I'm not aware of any edits to it).

I would not assume that the digital versions are better. They do have some of the missing music restored, but they also are missing other things that are present on the DVDs. On the whole they might be better, or they might be worse.

For example, one report said: "In the last scene of the final episode of season five "I Do and Adieu" (also Shelley Long's swan song) when Sam daydreams about a life that him and Diane could have together, an instrumental of the Irving Berlin song "What'll I Do?" accompanies the scene and adds so much depth because of what the song represents of love lost. On the DVD, the song is there; however, the streaming version on Netflix (and I suspect in syndication) has a generic piano song that is, as far as I know, detached from the scene because it adds no meaning. As with most of these music replacements, if you aren't aware of the original versions they might not be so jarring but for me the removal of "What'll I Do?" completely ruins that scene."

I know that I've seen other reports of cut content from the streaming versions, but I can't recall specifics. I seem to vaguely recall one report that footage was missing from at least one episode, but I can't say for sure. I have not watched Cheers via digital other than to spot check a couple of known cuts from the DVDs.

As for complaints about video quality, I believe that all current versions stem from the same remastering from around 2001, so all versions likely have similar quality (aside from different resolutions and bitrates, of course). There are definitely some moments with lower quality video. My recollection is that these were not by scene, but from a particular angle. That is, the quality was based on which camera angle was being used. That suggests to me that the original film elements are the source of the problem. It wouldn't be a syndication vs original issue, or something caused from poor scanning. Again, though, I haven't watched the digital versions other than a few spot checks and can't comment on them as a whole.

Edit: Someone reposted my original post at Sitcoms Online and someone there pointed out additional edits in Season 10, Episode 22, and in Season 11, Episode 2. I have updated the list to include them below:

Season 4, Episode 20 - Save the Last Dance For Me - Last few seconds of "Da Doo Ron Ron" replaced with generic music.

Season 6, Episode 22 - Slumber Party Massacred - Roy Orbison's "Only the Lonely" replaced with generic music.

Season 7, Episode 12 - Please Mr. Postman - “Unchained Melody” used instead of “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling.” Syndicated versions have this difference too. “You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling” was mentioned by name in the episode, so the change is quite noticeable. One person on HTF reported that they checked their recording of the original broadcast and it does include the correct song, so the change was made after the original airing.

Season 9, Episode 5 - Ma Always Liked You Best - One scene is cut short to remove Carla singing the theme from Winnie the Pooh. This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 9, Episode 6 - Grease - “I Fought the Law” replaced with generic music (multiple instances). The music being played is part of the gag, so this is especially unfortunate.

Season 10, Episode 2 - Get Your Kicks On Route 666 - An establishing shot and the first few seconds of a scene was cut to remove the gang singing along to Dion's “The Wanderer.” This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 10, Episode 4 - The Norm Who Came in from the Cold - While Frasier and Lilith are in bed, the rest of the Cheers gang can be heard singing. The part with them singing "Those Were the Days" is replaced (with, I think, a repeat of the previous song they were singing. A few seconds are then cut that contained direct video of them singing "Those Were the Days."

Season 10, Episode 7 - Bar Wars V: The Final Judgement - Monster Mash replaced with “Vampire Twist.”

Season 10, Episode 22 - Rebecca's Lover... Not - Rebecca sings a song as part of a conversation. Last 15 seconds of the conversation removed entirely on the DVD version. This has been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 10, Episode 23 - Bar Wars VI: This Time It's for Real - There are a few second of the gang joyfully walking into Cheers and sort of grunting some notes. Their grunts have been muted. This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 10, Episode 26 - An Old-Fashioned Wedding, Part 2 - Lilith sings “Make 'em laugh” as she leaves the kitchen. This was muted. This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 11, Episode 2 - The Beer is Always Greener - “Miserlou” is supposed to be playing in the background in the first scene of Carla working her new job, but has been replaced with other music. This has been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 11, Episode 3 - The King of Beers - About a minute of instrumental music during the beer factory montage has been replaced with a soundalike. Original version sounds like a jazzy Put On A Happy Face with piano and saxophone. Replacement is generic and piano (with a little bit of flute). Might be wrong about the instruments, as my ear for that isn't great. Original version has regular Cheers scene intro cue that flows into the music, but the replacement just starts right with the replacement music. This has been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 11, Episode 14 - It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Bar - Music while the gang tears apart the bar looking for hidden money has been replaced. Original music was Money (That's What I Want) by Barrett Strong. Replacement music is a knock-off: “I Want Money.” This has been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 11, Episode 26 - One for the Road - Various cuts due to CBS apparently using the three-part cut version and then editing them back together without adding back the cut footage. Runs about 3 minutes short. This is the only episode with cuts that are not music related.

I wish I could remember the name of the episode- one of the plots is Norm offers to help Carla through an IRS audit. There is at least one very rough edit that appears to remove a piece of dialog or music. I’ll have to see if I can find out which episode it is.

Found it- in season 8- Sammy And The Professor. Carla is leaving the bar with the auditor, and there is an edit that appears to delete something, at least in the DVD set.
I looked into that and I 100% agree that it is a weird, jarring cut. It very much looks like a edit to remove something. However, it is present on the streaming version too. I don't have any syndicated recording of that episode to compare it to. If anyone else does, please let us know whether that weird transition is an edit, or the original way the scene ended.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
There are definitely some moments with lower quality video. My recollection is that these were not by scene, but from a particular angle. That is, the quality was based on which camera angle was being used. That suggests to me that the original film elements are the source of the problem. It wouldn't be a syndication vs original issue, or something caused from poor scanning.

While correct that it's not entire scenes that look poor with washed out colors, I'm not sure it's that.

For an example of a situation that I frequently saw when I ran through the DVD's last winter, here's a theoretical example. We'll see what I'll call camera A pointed at Norm and Cliff at the end of the bar and everything looks pristine. Then a few seconds later, we'll get a closeup from camera B of Sam behind the bar replying to Norm and Cliff, with that also looking fine.

But after that 10 second scene from camera B, we'll see camera A again pointed the same way at Norm and Cliff and suddenly it will look washed out and very poor, the exact opposite of pristine. And then it's back to looking fine again the next time the camera or scene changes.

If it's baked in, I don't understand why the same camera with the same angle looked just fine seconds earlier (With it entirely possible that both shots were filmed just seconds apart). It would be fascinating to see a decent quality VHS recording from when one of these affected episodes first aired and see if it indeed is something inherent with the original film elements like you're speculating.

It surely can't be the culprit, but it's almost as if some of these episodes had the negatives cut and had to have a few short scenes here and there restored from secondary sources that had faded severely. But it's not 1960 anymore and with today's archival practices, I'm sure Cheers hasn't seen such mistreatment. And such cuts wouldn't always be in a single camera shot like they seemingly always are on the DVD's.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Were they using different types of film with different cameras on the same shootings?

ie. 35mm vs. 16mm, etc ..... ?

Real Name
Nate
I'm gonna add to the previous list since some things aren't listed that should be, I found an even larger list on another site

Season 1, Episode 7 - Friends, Romans, Accountants
- a cover of "Limbo Rock" was replaced with generic music; about halfway through the episode (near the beginning of the party), Norm tries to get people to limbo.
- The band playing "For He's A Jolly Good Fellow" also sounds like a replacement track; notice that Norm is saying something but the lines aren't here.
- Originally aired with a slightly longer ending. Sam said "I feel bad for whoever is in charge next year", and Norm's toga gets caught in the door as his co-workers carry him out on their shoulders. The creators weren't satisfied with execution of the gag and cut it, either for reruns or when preparing the syndication package. The writer expressed surprise that it ever aired that way.

Season 3, Episode 3 - I Call Your Name - should include a bit where Sam sings "Unforgettable" into a mirror. The Amazon version cuts awkwardly at the end of a scene, I assume this is the button on it. Same thing also cut out of clip show later

Season 4, Episode 14 - Suspicion - Replaces the Isley Brothers' "Shout" with "My Mind's Gone, I Ain't Got No Sense" by Howlin' Wolf. [somebody put it up on Youtube]

Season 5, Episode 26 - I Do, Adieu - (Streaming only) Final scene of Season 5, "What'll I Do" has been replaced by "Forever Love" by Luke Rackers.

Season 8, Episode 21 - Bar Wars III - The Return of Tecumseh - Post 9/11 syndication cut included on the DVD and all the HD versions. Cliff: "In the movie [Fail Safe], the United States accidentally launches a nuclear attack on Russia- not that those godless Communists didn't deserve it. In an attempt to avoid retaliation on America the President- played by Henry Fonda- decided to launch his own nuclear attack on New York- not that those arrogant loudmouths didn't deserve it.".

Season 9, Episode 8 - 200th Episode
- missing from Amazon and DVD: Frasier and Lilith sing "Our House" (originally from 5-20), the group and Cliff sing "The Ballad of the Green Berets" (originally from 7-12), Diane singing "People Who Need People" to Carla (originally from 1-08), Woody leading the group in a round of "We Will Rock You" (originally from 8-18), and Sam singing "Unforgettable" (originally from 3-03)

- missing from DVD, restored on Amazon: group singing "Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ral (Irish Lullaby)" to Carla's baby through the phone (originally from 2-08), and the group singing the "Magnificent Seven" theme (an instrumental) (originally from 4-22)
- missing from Amazon: the entire dance scene from the end of 5-26
- note that 108, 208, 422, 520, 712, & 818 include the scenes intact.

-Note: The season 9 DVD release includes the original hour long version of the episode, streaming uses the two part syndication cut which is why there are some cuts not on the DVD relelease

Season 9, Episode 9 - Bad Neighbor Sam - Carla talks about blowing up the wall with dynamite (Not sure, but I'm guessing this might've been a post-9/11 cut too)

Season 10, Episode 7 - Bar Wars V: The Final Judgement - Monster Mash replaced with “Vampire Twist.” Along with that a VERY brief moment of footage was cut later in the episode when Monster Mash was mentioned.

Season 10, Episode 22 - Rebecca's Lover... Not - Rebecca sings a song as part of a conversation. Last 15 seconds of the conversation removed entirely on the DVD version. This has been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 10, Episode 26 - An Old-Fashioned Wedding - Lilith sings “Make 'em laugh” as she leaves the kitchen. This was muted. This has reportedly been restored in streaming episodes.

-Note: The season 10 DVD release has the original hour long cut of the episode, streaming uses the split two part version which is why there are cuts not on the DVD release

Season 11, Episode 2 - The Beer is Always Greener - “Miserlou” is supposed to be playing in the background in the first scene of Carla working her new job, but has been replaced with other music. This has been restored in streaming episodes.

Season 11, Episode 23 - Rebecca Gaines, Rebecca Loses - Various cuts to the streaming version due to using the two part syndication edit (the DVD release uses the hour long cut, though reportedly it ran 44:00 originally instead of 43:13 so there might be some footage cut here too)

Season 11, Episode 26 - One for the Road - Various cuts to the streaming versions due to CBS using the three-part cut version, the DVD release uses the original NBC cut though it runs about 3 minutes short due to the same reasons as before (there was one early scene that mentioned the TMNT gang for example)

One thing I noticed about One for the Road on the DVD release, I can really tell they did restore the original NBC cut to the DVD version (with the exception of the missing 3 minutes) cause there are numerous segments throughout that have a noticeably worse look to them than the rest of the episode, implying a non-HD source was used to restore the segments cut out from syndication. Also the previous assumption that the episode had no music cuts is wrong.

I believe this is the most complete list of the edits on the DVD releases of this show.

Last edited:

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Thanks, SpacemanDoug, for all the additional info!

Season 4, Episode 14 - Suspicion - Replaces the Isley Brothers' "Shout" with "My Mind's Gone, I Ain't Got No Sense" by Howlin' Wolf. [somebody put it up on Youtube]

I got out my trust Season 4 DVD set and confirmed that this is not an edit present on the DVD release. This edit is exclusive to digital/streaming versions.

Season 11, Episode 26 - One for the Road - Various cuts to the streaming versions due to CBS using the three-part cut version, the DVD release uses the original NBC cut though it runs about 3 minutes short due to the same reasons as before (there was one early scene that mentioned the TMNT gang for example)

One thing I noticed about One for the Road on the DVD release, I can really tell they did restore the original NBC cut to the DVD version (with the exception of the missing 3 minutes) cause there are numerous segments throughout that have a noticeably worse look to them than the rest of the episode, implying a non-HD source was used to restore the segments cut out from syndication.

They may have restored some footage (I'm not really sure), but 3 minutes of missing footage is a lot. It includes content that couldn't possibly be licensing-related, such as one clip where Sam explains where he got his cigar cut, as well as the clip with Sam and Rebecca's kiss. I don't know what may have been restored, but it is pretty far from the original NBC cut, at least in my opinion.

Also the previous assumption that the episode had no music cuts is wrong.
Could you clarify: Are there music cuts to One for the Road as presented on the DVD?

Real Name
Nate
Thanks, SpacemanDoug, for all the additional info!

I got out my trust Season 4 DVD set and confirmed that this is not an edit present on the DVD release. This edit is exclusive to digital/streaming versions.

They may have restored some footage (I'm not really sure), but 3 minutes of missing footage is a lot. It includes content that couldn't possibly be licensing-related, such as one clip where Sam explains where he got his cigar cut, as well as the clip with Sam and Rebecca's kiss. I don't know what may have been restored, but it is pretty far from the original NBC cut, at least in my opinion.

Could you clarify: Are there music cuts to One for the Road as presented on the DVD?
yes some footage unique to the NBC cut was restored cause I compared both the DVD finale and the streaming versions side by side and noticed segments on the DVD version missing in the streaming 3 part edit

I was able to tell they cobbled it together from more than one source cause the extra bits unique to the NBC cuts on the DVD release were of much lower quality than the rest of the episode, the DVD finale runs an even 70 minutes

One theory I have is they were attempting to put together the NBC cut but "forgot" to restore some bits in the beginning and end though it's quite possible some of it was due to musical reasons, mainly the bits I noticed were restored were the parts that bridged parts 1/2 and parts 2/3 together

I'm not really sure what specifically the edits to the DVD are considering I lost the recording I found long ago but I do believe that some material was music related, if I manage to get the broadcast recording again I'll check and see

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks