What's new

Shows You’re Sick/Tired Of In Syndication. (2 Viewers)

Hoagie78

Agent
Real Name
Chris
What shows are you sick of being run to death in syndication ?

My List:

Gunsmoke........it airs multiple times a day on multiple channels. Every time an oldies channel shows up, they will purchase this show along with Bonanza.

Bonanza.............see above.

MASH.................I'm so sick of this series. It's been run into the ground in reruns for decades, even back when new shows were still being produced in prime time.

Friends...............Never got the appeal. Tried watching it when it first came out in the 90's and couldn't stand to sit through it. With all the long forgotten shows rotting away in vaults that need to be on released on DVD/Streaming.......They ignore those and continue to have multiple releases of this show.

Family Guy.......Sick to death of this being on all day, everyday, on just about every channel.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Newlywed Game and Match Game both reach for the low hanging fruit of humor!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After one post has been deleted, any further insults directed towards another poster will result in further disciplinary action including suspension from the forum.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And we can allow the thread to be its own topic. If you don’t like a thread topic, no need to come in shouting you don’t like it trying to destroy the thread. Just leave it be. :)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mostly, if I don't like yet another rerun cycle of a show, I'll stay off the channel, and TBH, I don't watch over the air TV anymore, so if I'm in the mood for Gunsmoke or M*A*S*H, I'll pop in a DVD...but my wife is running Friends to death in my house. I used to love the show, even well into reruns, but it feels like it's on constantly and she has it on before bed every night. Laughing hysterically as if she'd never seen it before - even though she's watched it since the premiere. Totally fine and fair. I've been watching Star Trek since I was 4 years old and never tire of it, but I don't run it every night in the "common TV area". It's gotten to the point where not only do I sometimes dread coming to bed, I time my arrival so I am nowhere near the theme song. So, yes, I can absolutely say I'm sick of Friends. :lol:

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I, too, jumped off the "over the air" band wagon about 20 years ago (Wow! Has it *really* been that long?!?!) and do not regret it at all. That was after tiring of all of the regurgitated plots/series and the, then, current trend of "reality" shows - not to mention the endless cycling of the same 15-20 series in syndication.

I now set my own schedule so *nothing* is ever run often enough for me to get "sick of it." I rarely watch *any* series more than once every couple of years (Star Trek: TOS is one of a handful of exceptions). That helps keep them somewhat "fresh" as I'll often forget lots of details of a series after that much time.

Specifically - I became *quite* tired of M*A*S*H before dropping "live TV" completely. Even though I've owned the series on disc for ~10 years, I've still not made my way through the entire thing (have 4 or 5 seasons still unwatched) all because of how often my wife and I saw it in syndication. It's just about the same for I Love Lucy, a series I really like for the first 3-4 seasons. It, too, was run so often it became quite stale for me - and I've owned it on disc for many years and it's mostly unwatched. IIRC, the last time I saw a season was when my 20yo grandson was ~7 and I watched the first season with him (he loved it but we never made time for more).

Stations tend to over run those series simply because they get "good" ratings by doing so. Lots of people like to have them on in the background as a kind of "comfort food" thing. I get it though don't care for it. Once through most series is good enough to last me a few years and there's no better way to do that than with a collection of stuff you enjoy.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife has a couple of shows that she re-watches to death: Murdock Mysteries and Bones. I never really got into either one, but I don't dislike them, so if I come downstairs after doing something in our home office, or come home from running errands, and she's watching one or the other, I just sit down and read a book, occasionally look up at the TV to see what's going on.

The thing is that she's not really watching them. She's on her laptop, or doing craft stuff or whatever, and the show is something she's so familiar with she doesn't have to pay attention to what's going on to follow it. It's more background noise than anything else. That doesn't bother me any.

We tend to do something similar in the evening after having dinner and watching the news. If there's nothing on that we specifically want to watch, we'll often tune into The Big Bang Theory re-runs, or a Marvel movie on FX or TNT, and have that on in the background while we're focused on something else.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I personally don't like the way syndicated shows are programed on the basic cable networks. Blocks of hours at a time with the same show will have me leaving a channel faster than if they would just do an episode at a time and have some variety during an afternoon.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can sort of see both sides. If I'm sick of a show I won't watch it, but at the same time if I'm flipping through the guide to try and find something to watch I find it irritating to find hours-long blocks of Roseanne, The King of Queens, Mom, The Simpsons, American Dad, among others.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A comment about M*A*S*H- the reruns were edited down to close to a 22 minute running time, so there were scenes I saw for the first time on the unedited DVDs (I know when the show first aired in 1972, the shows ran a full 26 minutes). The good thing about Friends, Frasier or any of the series that started in the early 90s forward needed little/no edits for syndication, due to running time of episode.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Mostly, if I don't like yet another rerun cycle of a show, I'll stay off the channel, and TBH, I don't watch over the air TV anymore, so if I'm in the mood for Gunsmoke or M*A*S*H, I'll pop in a DVD...but my wife is running Friends to death in my house. I used to love the show, even well into reruns, but it feels like it's on constantly and she has it on before bed every night. Laughing hysterically as if she'd never seen it before - even though she's watched it since the premiere. Totally fine and fair. I've been watching Star Trek since I was 4 years old and never tire of it, but I don't run it every night in the "common TV area". It's gotten to the point where not only do I sometimes dread coming to bed, I time my arrival so I am nowhere near the theme song. So, yes, I can absolutely say I'm sick of Friends. :lol:

Have you ever considered getting yourself one of those white noise machines that has white noise blocking out the Friends title track? I think that might help.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Lots of people like to have them on in the background as a kind of "comfort food" thing. I get it though don't care for it.
That's basically what I watch TV for these days. My wife is more adventurous (other than the Friends thing) and always looks for something new. I tend to stick with the familiar or if it's "new" it's something old I never watched before. With some special exceptions, I tend to prefer episodic TV over the current and probably permanent trend of serialized season long stories. I like a one-and-done or maybe a multi part episode (no more than 3 parts normally). The stories are more succinct and there isn't dogie-paddling to keep a plot afloat for a full mere 12 episode season (I'm looking at you Picard).

I'm old school. I like to have "favorite episodes" not "long arcs" and seasons that end on cliffhangers only to be cancelled.

Some of those exceptions included The Sopranos (which I just re-watched) and the current Reacher, because I enjoy the novels. But mostly, I go for older stuff and even if it's something like Dallas, they'd have a handful of stories going at once, not just one or two, and they'd resolve them just as another was ramping up.

I personally don't like the way syndicated shows are programed on the basic cable networks. Blocks of hours at a time with the same show will have me leaving a channel faster than if they would just do an episode at a time and have some variety during an afternoon.
That's a main reason why I don't bother anymore (the other being edits and commercials). Not to sound like a crabby old man (but why deny who I am?), but i loved the days of a full schedule of shows, one at a time (two at most back to back) and waiting for the next day to see another at the same time. I was exposed to more classic reruns than most people today ever heard of. If I ran a Nostalgia Channel, it would be the kind of line up I would love to tune into myself.

So I did the next best thing and made a "Scott's Broadcast Day" playlist on Plex. One day, when my wife is on a girl's trip, I'll get up at 7 am and let it run.

I do have to say, if I was an Antenna TV or Me-TV viewer, I'd be pretty tired of the same old thing also. Me-TV really has a love affair with M*A*S*H.

I - would - like to see more shows get airtime so they don't die the death of the forgotten rerun.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm old school. I like to have "favorite episodes" not "long arcs" and seasons that end on cliffhangers only to be cancelled.

That's how it is with me and Emergency!-- that NBC medical/action series of the 70s has quite a few outings that are "favorite episodes" of mine:

"An English Visitor"
"How Green Was My Thumb"
"Details"
"Parade"
"The Stewardess"
"Election"
"Tee Vee"
"Communications"
"Right at Home"
"Involvement"
"The Tycoons"
"Family Ties"
"Isolation"

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Except for "I Love Lucy" which I saw multiple times as a child in re-runs and "Star Trek". TOS, I almost never have seen everything twice. I usually watch all my favourite in first run and then again with the disc version when I acquire it. I've also have acquired the Blu ray to replace a DVD, and re-watch then. If you want to send my wife screaming out of the TV room, just put on something she has already seen!

Hoagie78

Agent
Real Name
Chris
That's basically what I watch TV for these days. My wife is more adventurous (other than the Friends thing) and always looks for something new. I tend to stick with the familiar or if it's "new" it's something old I never watched before. With some special exceptions, I tend to prefer episodic TV over the current and probably permanent trend of serialized season long stories. I like a one-and-done or maybe a multi part episode (no more than 3 parts normally). The stories are more succinct and there isn't dogie-paddling to keep a plot afloat for a full mere 12 episode season (I'm looking at you Picard).

Some of those exceptions included The Sopranos (which I just re-watched) and the current Reacher, because I enjoy the novels. But mostly, I go for older stuff and even if it's something like Dallas, they'd have a handful of stories going at once, not just one or two, and they'd resolve them just as another was ramping up.

That's a main reason why I don't bother anymore (the other being edits and commercials). Not to sound like a crabby old man (but why deny who I am?), but i loved the days of a full schedule of shows, one at a time (two at most back to back) and waiting for the next day to see another at the same time. I was exposed to more classic reruns than most people today ever heard of. If I ran a Nostalgia Channel, it would be the kind of line up I would love to tune into myself.

So I did the next best thing and made a "Scott's Broadcast Day" playlist on Plex. One day, when my wife is on a girl's trip, I'll get up at 7 am and let it run.

I do have to say, if I was an Antenna TV or Me-TV viewer, I'd be pretty tired of the same old thing also. Me-TV really has a love affair with M*A*S*H.

I - would - like to see more shows get airtime so they don't die the death of the forgotten rerun.
That was kind of my point with this thread. There are lots of shows that have fallen to the status of what you referred to as the" death of the forgotten rerun" while there are series that oldies channels purchase and all seem to run for years on end and in big blocks. It's crazy when there are about 5 or 6 channels all running M*A*SH*, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Friends etc...

Back in the days of early syndication and early cable/satellite, most channels were all independently owned and they programmed their own lineups. Then one by one they all started to be bought up by large corporations where they hired these trendy program directors/focus groups to go after certain audience demographics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks