What's new

Suggested setup for new equipment (1 Viewer)

aegs07961

Auditioning
Real Name
Al
I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to hook up the new Onkyo receiver I just purchased. (I know, I should have figure it out first. :rolleyes:) The longer term plan is to upgrade the TV, but for now, here's the equipment: - Onkyo TX-NR509 - Definitive Technology speakers and sub - Dish Network set top box with coax, s video and composite video connections - PS3 - RCA TV with coax, component video (YPbPr) and composite video (YWR) I want everything to go through the receiver but I'm struggling to determine the best way to connect the TV. Thanks in advance.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi, welcome to the forum!

First of all, I commend you on recognizing the value of running all your sources through the receiver. Lots of folks new to A/V receivers fail to make that connection (no pun intended...)

Second, the Onkyo 509 makes it a bit trickier to do that in a straightforward manner because it does NOT appear to do any sort of video input upconversion (composite to component, or component to HDMI - if your TV had HDMI).

Finally, it mentions at the top of page 16 that the onscreen menus from the receiver are only visible via the HDMI output.

You may want to upgrade your TV to one that has HDMI sooner than you think.

In a nutshell, because of the lack of upconversion capability, you are forced to run a video connection from the receiver to the TV for each type of video connection that goes into the receiver. So if you connect the PS3 to the receiver using component video connections, you will run component video cables from receiver output to TV. Likewise, if you run composite from Dish Network to receiver, you will need to run composite out from receiver into TV.

As you can probably see (if you followed the above), the benefit of running multiple sources through the receiver is diminished significantly when you have sources of varying signal types and a receiver that cannot convert one type of signal to another.

If the only sources you currently have are PS3 (component video) and Dish Network (composite video, standard def.) then it's almost a "six of one, half dozen of the other" situation for the video connections. You'll actually use MORE cables running it through the receiver than you would running the video for each source directly to the TV. Also, no matter which way you go, you wind up switching sources on the receiver AND the TV.

Once you switch to an HDMI capable TV, and upgrade your Dish service to high definition, with HDMI, it will be MUCH easier - you simply run HDMI from each device to the receiver and one more HDMI to the TV and you're all set.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

aegs07961

Auditioning
Real Name
Al
Thanks for the info and sorry for the delay in responding, I was on the road this week. I'll try your suggestions and let you know how everything works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petr
Recent bookmarks