What's new

Subwoofer or no subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

paul.shill

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Shill
Evening all,

I have a home theatre system that I am happy with, however I don't currently run a subwoofer and was wondering if I should add one.

I don't particularly need more bass, I live in a semi detached house and I am sure my neighbours don't want any additional bass, plus the fact I have floorstanders as my front left and right (all the 5 speakers are Wharfedales), so there is plenty of bass, however I have read that adding a subwoofer will allow the rest of the speakers to handle the treble and the mid-range meaning that everything sounds clearer.

Advice would be gratefully received.

thanks

Paul

whenimabillionaire

Auditioning
Real Name
Sestrie
Although you are very happy with your current setup, I would highly recommend a subwoofer as it would be a phenomenal addition to your experience. After the first time I used a subwoofer with speakers, I was shocked and it became a must-have for any and all other speakers in my house. If you're worried about the extra sound, noise, and bass, I would suggest soundproof panels as a solution to that, and those are not costly at all.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have definitive towers and a center all with subs and that made a 5.0 system. I unplugged those 3 subs in the speakers, added a real subwoofer, now I really have a 5.1 system and movies sound just like the should.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I have read that adding a subwoofer will allow the rest of the speakers to handle the treble and the mid-range meaning that everything sounds clearer.

This is one of the advantages of using a subwoofer in that in your amplifier preferences you set a crossover to the LFE—e.g., 80Hz—so that everything below that gets sent to the LFE and everything above to the rest of your speakers.

PhilAR

Agent
Real Name
Phil
When presented with the question "subwoofer or no subwoofer", the answer is always subwoofer. It offers a completely different level of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks