What's new
World Wide Stereo

Subwoofer for dorm room (1 Viewer)

MattKennedy

Auditioning
Hi all, I just have decided to start looking into DIY and i found this site. I have a few questions if anyone can help me out. I have bought some HT equipment since i've started getting into it. Nothing to good, but enough to catch the HT bug. I am in college so i have a budget, so it made DIY all the more appealing. I do have some questions though. I have klipsch bookshelf speakers for now that provide clean decent mids and highs, but i need some bass for my system. Eventually i do plan on building new speakers to replace the klipch ones, but for now, i'm most interested in filling out my bottom end. I plan on buying an adire shiva driver. What i want to know is, if a bottom firing sub is really the way to go? The more expensive ones i've seen are like this and i just would like to know why. Also, what would be the best material to put a down firing sub on. (as is, it would be a on tiles, but i could always get a rug or something)

I'm planning on buying a 250 watt plate amp from parts express (part number 300-793) and i was wondering if this would suffice, not only in my tiny dorm room, but when i move off campus as well. I want this thing to be loud, but cleanliness and tight sound are more important (why im going with sealed)

Finally, I have read about needing to build a crossover for the subwoofer, but in my case i wouldn't need to do this because the amp has an x-over built in right? Whether this is true or not, could someone also tell me when its necessary to install a crossover yourself. Like is it just if you are powering a speaker from a receiver and don't have a power amp?

Sorry for the load of questions, but if anyone could help me out, it would be great. Thanks in advance guys!

MattKennedy

Auditioning
Oh yeah, one more thing i forgot. The sub i tried out was a klipsh kw-12. How would this setup i'm talking about compare to that? Because i wasn't overly impressed by that sub

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Check out (if you haven't already) http://www.adireaudio.com You will find plenty of plans for the shiva available. I don't think there is a "advantage" to down firing subs in general. I think it is more for looks. Some ported designs use downfiring ports along with the sub to help control port noise, I could be wrong though. You should also check out Rythmik for amps they have a 250W model that is sometiomes cheaper than the PE one. I went with a rythmik for my first diy and have no regrets. Even had to return my first one. Had no problems with Brian at rythmik would do business with him again.
If you don't think you will have issue with damaging the sub in a front firing enclosure. Allot of people have kids that may poke or prod the beloved creation. The Rava kit from adire is front firing they also have downfiring ported designs. You always shoot them an email and see if there is advantages one vs. the other.
Oh yeah, you don't need a x-over for the sub because it's built into the amp. I have never heard the kw-12 but I think the general concensus on the forum is the shiva will out perform it easily.

MattKennedy

Auditioning
hey, thanks a lot for the reply. i'm actually going to build the box myself, so i don't need a kit. I know most times ppl use either mdf or birch plywood, but how would oak work? its a pretty dense hardwood. The reason i ask is i just redid my parents kitchen entirely of oak, and i have a lot left over, so if it would be ok for the sound that would save me some money...plus it would be stainable without a veneer. It's 1" red oak specifically

MattKennedy

Auditioning
nevermind...i found the blueprint i am going to use on the adire audio site, and i'll have to buy 3/4" mdf

stephanX

Stunt Coordinator
Dont be discouraged with the oak though. I think that a nice oak top would look beutiful.

Paul_H

Grip
The performance and cost advantage for DIY is probably greatest for subs. I was part of the Shiva initial order and Avatar/Adire Audio has only provided high quality products with good value for me.
I built a ~4 ft^3 enclosure for my subwoofer out of 1" MDF. I think the advantages of Sonotube are significant for college sub. I have had to move sub 12 times and it is a total beast to move couple hundred feet. When I am pouring sweat humping it up several flights of stairs in dorm you can't drive up to I regret the material choice and cross bracing. A Sonotube would have same rigidity at far less weight. Oak is not as heavy, but I think 1" oak would be good for endcaps on tube.
You can look at concrete contractors, supply house, or construction sites for these tubes. Space is another consideration so you might have to be creative to find a space for it.

Rob Bird

Agent
The one great advantage to being in the dorms is that they typically have a very solid concrete construction which is very conducive to keeping complaints from the neighbors to a minimum :).

I work for UF Housing, and live in an on-campus apartment. I've never had a complaint, and I certainly drive my system to -10db off reference all the time.

I'm not so sure that will continue if I build my little 170L Tumult or 200L Avalanche 18.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
Check out the non-servo section on rythmik's site and you will find plate amps. They have a couple 250w models and a few 360w models. The 250w models sre usually cheaper than the PE model and they are supposed to have less hum. It has a modified ground loop.

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Another sub you may want to consider is one made by GR Research. It is a PR/Driver design but cleaner, tighter base I have not heard. Plenty loud and best of all it works in a small box .. mine is a 19" cube. Also both drivers can be had for about $150. Very economical.

Webpage for GR Research is www.gr-research.com

Ted

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Checkout the Atlas 12" driver from Ascendant Audio.

These are very high quality drivers that are built with Adire's XBL^2 technology in the motor for very low distortion compared to other subs.

And unlike other drivers the Atlas units have a second 2 ohm VC so that the Qts can be adjusted for optimal use in either in sealed or vented (aka ported/PR) boxes

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i'd say sealed tempest in a 4 cut ft box with casters, casters are a must if you are moving this thing more then twice a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks