What's new

STM-NEW 4 DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD-WHAT?!! NO ORIGINAL 1978 SOUNDTRACK??!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Zod2080

Grip
Real Name
Jay
YES!... lol. I have checked the following regions: 1,2,3,4 and done comparisons to make sure. I have it on VHS, BEFORE the Thau mix was done.Trust me, it's NOT on there.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
When do these actually street, the 28th?

If so, that's probably why the Caped Wonder comments came down.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Yup, all these sets street on the 28th (all the individual releases, the assorted box sets, etc). It's going to be a very expensive day for alot of people!

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure this isn't how they're handling the 4 Reeve Superman titles. There's no big documentary spread across all 4 discs. The individual discs include vintage documentaries and other extras, the S:TM discs include all the doc stuff that was on the previous release, and then there's a standalone DVD (only in the Ultimate set) that covers all of the Salkind-Reeve films.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan

Feel free NOT to answer if you're so sick and tired of it.

Just stating the obvious.

I skimmed through the thread last night, came up with that thought this morning and posted. Maybe I should lose my privilage for inconveniencing you.

Steve_E

Agent
Gee, So Superman The Movie has the updated sounds in 5.1 but not the original sound.

Superman 3 and 4 are not in Dolby Digital 5.1 and use the same print as the 2001 DVD's.

Superman 2 theatrical has a near identical print to the 2001 DVDs.

I was so looking forward to this but now im going to buy it in a few years when its on sale for £20 or I might buy Superman 2 on its own.

Was so looking forward to this as well. Ok, Superman 3 AND 4 are widely regarded as flops but they'r part of my childhood and lots of other peoples as well. So why they couldnt update the print upto STM standards and give it 5.1 sound is beyond me. Its Chris Reeve as Superman for christ sake!

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
I just paid a visit to my local retailer. He now has everything except the 14-disc Ultimate set, and he says he won't be getting another shipment before Tuesday... which means, as far as this independent Canadian retailer is concerned, the set won't be out on release date. I don't know about the big retail chains.

I can only hope that the delay means someone somewhere is doing something about the two problem discs. I'd rather wait a week or two for my set and not have to deal with the hassle of a disc exchange program...

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
My Ultimate set(and the HD DVD Supe titles) shipped from DVD Empire this morning. It will be interesting to see what happens with the SUPERMAN III disc.

Jim_E

Stunt Coordinator
Checked my Superman III disc from the ultimate box (Region 1) earlier and its the same disc as the previously released set. No idea how this error was made (its not the same disc art so it isn't like they had these lying around the past few years!)

I'll wait for the exchange that'll doubtless happen - hope that goes for the original audio on the '78 version of the movie too.

Beyond these stupid, stupid errors its a fantastic set. Great to see Donner and Mankiewicz on the doc on the Donner cut disc watching the footage with Thau and ribbing him about having to keep to budget!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'm just going to stick with my five year old discs for now. There's nothing "ultimate" about this new collection, except that there's a lot of discs. An "ultimate" collection would have included:

STM: with OST
STM: with the 49 minutes of deleted scenes
S2, both original release AND the Donner cut AND all the other discarded footage as extras (from both versions)
S3: with appropriate extras, and maybe remastered. The old version didn't look that good.
S4: with additional footage
...and maybe Supergirl as well in the boxed set. I think it has different owners, but it's part of the same movie series. What I don't need to see in this boxed set is any 40s Mole Men stuff, or cartoons, or whatever. I'd just like them to concentrate on the Donner/Salkind series, not all this other stuff. We've got countless hours of deleted scenes that aren't making it on the dvds, even though we've seen some of them on television. And there's screen tests and special effects shots that we'd like to see. Well, maybe we'll see a better release in about 5 years in the next format. I have zero faith in this current release as far as satisfying my Superman fix for the rest of my life. It'll end up in the Goodwill box as soon as something better comes along.

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
It could an answer. I checked on Cinebox, as my order had not yed been shipped, and effectively, S:TM and the 14-DVD SET are not listed as available, contrary to the all others Superman releases.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Dharmesh has just posted a more detailed list of the Ultimate and Chris Reeve box set errors, audio and otherwise on supermancinema.co.uk. CHECK IT OUT.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I think we need to calm down about this matter. yes, there are some problems. you don;t need to cancell your boxset becuase of this problem. we are talking about superman 3 of all of the movies.. if it was superman 2.. then yes.. the sound problem.. that is debatable.
I hope that warner bros will respond about this matter.

Jacob

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

Hmm, hopefully something's being done. For once, Canadians DVD consumers might get lucky for being a step behind the US. I wonder when Warner first knew about this, and how long it takes to fix such a problem. I don't mind waiting a week (or even two) for my Ultimate Set, but sooner or later I'll get tired of seeing The Richard Donner Cut on store shelves and not being able to watch it myself...

I just checked out Dharmesh's update. I'm glad that somebody's staying on top of all this. For what it's worth, the video transfer of Superman III is the least of my concerns. This is about Warner releasing the features that were listed on the package and in the press release. Give me those and I'm a satisfied customer. As far as I know, the set was never supposed to include an updated transfer of Superman III; if that was a deal-breaking feature for me, then I wouldn't buy the set.

In the meantime, BestBuy just price-dropped the Batman: Motion Picture Anthology by $30 in Canada, so I'm spending the weekend with a different superhero than expected...

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
My order has been canceled. Not to have the original sound on the theatrical cut of Superman: The Movie is an absolute disgrace... the only thing "ultimate" about this set is that it's the ultimate disappointment for any Superman fan.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
So does S1 have a new transfer? I know it's coming out on HD DVD, but they could have used the 2001 transfer for that, no?

At this point Tuesday is probably just going to be the Donner cut and Returns.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if I would go that far, although I do think it was a real missed opportunity to not include the extended "KCOP" TV cuts. I know that Donner and Salkind don't care for them but I do believe that they do have a place in Superman history and have achieved enough of a "legendary" status among fans and collectors to warrant inclusion as "historical curiosities"

As far as my order of the Ultimate collectors set, unless Amazon decides to cancel shipment, I'm going to stick with it. As far as the audio on S:TM, either WB is going to correct it, or they won't. If they do, then fine, if not, well, the only one who really loses out on canceling my order is me. Frankly, I don't remember much about the original audio anyway. The Superman III issue will have to be dealt with, it is unavoidable for WB as it is a clear quality control fuck up. Besides, the cost of getting the items I really want individually will cost virtually just as much as what I am paying Amazon for the whole thing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks