What's new

Blu-ray Review Fright Night 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review (2 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
FanboyZ said:
It's all down to scalpers, in reality this sells about 8-1100 copies and dies in the bin at walmart with Night of the Creeps.
Then prices should drop precipitously in the coming days if no one is interested in the title.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
If Sony thought there was even a remote chance of making a fortune with this title, they wouldn't have licensed it out to TT in the first place, and most definitely not a second time several years later.

The truth is that much of the demand for this title, particularly in the second round, has come from scalpers and people who already own the first release and have also bought a copy of the second release.

Prices won't drop now, regardless of demand, because scalpers know that due to all of the hype around the limited release nature of this movie on blu, they'll find some sucker to buy at least one of their copies for some ridiculous price, compensating them for the multiple copies they've bought to resell.

For those poor desperate souls who haven't got a copy of this movie on blu, cheaper alternatives are available in the form of the Australian version and the German version, which have almost identical transfers and are region free, and neither of which look like they're in any danger of selling out soon (despite the fact that, as we all know, this blu is in demand by millions of people...).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
There are a quite a few Twilight Time titles I am interested in but have not bought any of their titles for this very reason. I buy tons from the other similar boutique labels because I can buy them anytime at reasonable prices.

Malcolm R said:
Certainly not TT. They got $30. The Ebay seller gets $170. I don't see how TT can be happy with that. Not to mention the ill-will they sow in the marketplace among potential (future) customers.

Great review. Sounds like a great disc that most will never have an opportunity to see.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
CobraVerde said:
Realistically, they probably wouldn't sell half as much, considering that a lot of these copies were bought by scalpers to resell, which currently still sit unsought on eBay. The ONLY reason 2 runs sold out is because of the re-sell potential.

That's the thing I dont get - why they cant do it while other studios can. Does anyone here believe that Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo will sell nearly as many copies as Fright Night? And yet Shout! is giving us both Breakin' movies on Blu here in a month or two. What is Twilight Time doing wrong that Shout! Synapse, Wild East, Discotek, Blue Underground, Retromedia Video, and Dragon Dynasty doing right? Clearly there's a market for smaller studios to release non-limited edition schlock and cult movies and still not lose their shirts.

Yes movies go out of print all the time. There's a great many discs I regret missing out on (and not just so I can flip them, either) - but to play this limited edition numbers game turns me off.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tony J Case said:
That's the thing I dont get - why they cant do it while other studios can. Does anyone here believe that Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo will sell nearly as many copies as Fright Night? And yet Shout! is giving us both Breakin' movies on Blu here in a month or two. What is Twilight Time doing wrong that Shout! Synapse, Wild East, Discotek, Blue Underground, Retromedia Video, and Dragon Dynasty doing right? Clearly there's a market for smaller studios to release non-limited edition schlock and cult movies and still not lose their shirts.
It's not that Twilight Time is doing anything wrong. Their business model is that they only sell 3,000 or 5,000 copies and not an unlimited run (which I assume costs more than selling x number of copies). You can question why Sony thinks that Fright Night can only sell 8,000 copies but since they have sales data and have chosen to sell it in a limited edition two times now, they must have thought that they could make the most money by licensing it to another rather than selling it themselves.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Dragon Dynasty and Discotek are still in business? I know Wild East is but it's not easy finding out about their new releases.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So I went ahead and bought a copy on Ebay, finding one at the low end of current asking prices. Not really happy to pay that much, but this has been one of my blu-ray holy grail titles and for some reason I never saw either of the release announcements from TT (well, I missed the first one and never looked for a second one given their one-time-only release "strategy"). Happy early birthday to me! :P

I considered one of the cheaper international releases, but thought the extras and the inclusion of lossless audio still made the TT release worthwhile. Plus, I recall spending $100+ on a couple deluxe laserdisc sets back in the day (like Jaws and Bram Stoker's Dracula), so I just pretended like it was 1993 and bit the bullet.

Maybe in the future, if there's another "hot" release title from TT, I'll buy one for resale to cut my losses.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Watched Fright Night on Netflix a few nights ago. Very nice HD picture and 5.1 sound. Not sure I would want to buy the Blu-ray when I can see it for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks