What's new

STM-NEW 4 DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD-WHAT?!! NO ORIGINAL 1978 SOUNDTRACK??!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Great, I haven't even received my Tom & Jerry replacement discs, and now the next Warner replacement program to be is already on its way to me. :frowning:

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
So my 1990 widescreen edition laserdisc of Superman: The Movie contains a Dolby Stereo Surround soundtrack that is true to the original theatrical presentation? If so, reconstructing a 5.1 soundtrack for the 2001 release using new sound effect elements would seem to be totally unnecessary. The laserdisc has an uncompressed PCM audio track. How can they say their original split surrounds weren't in good enough condition? They could have just lifted the PCM track and converted it for use on DVD. It wouldn't be state-of-the-art but fans aren't expecting that with an original soundtrack anyway.

This makes me wanna throw my laserdisc on and do some more comparisons. I know of two very obvious new sound effects that stood out when I first viewed the 2001 release (breaking glass on a dying Krypton and that terrible sliding door sound in Luther's Lair).

GregK

Screenwriter

The original 6 track mix is intact. A Dolby tech confirmed the track Donner first previewed was the original split surround mix.

But Donner decided to do a remix, which always opens a can of worms. For a re-mix, one ideally needs music, dialog, and effects stems or tracks. It's my understanding the effects tracks were not viable, so 'new' effects were added. Add to that Donner felt other sections needed more enhancements as well. So things that were once subtle are now overpowering. A planet exploding now turns into a pane of glass hitting the floor. You get the idea.

Warners, give us both mixes via two DD 5.1 tracks. ..It's not rocket science.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
hmm, I didn't think anything of it at the time, but on Wednesday my retailer told me his distributor had given him all the new Superman releases *except* the multi-disc collections and the individual release of S:TM. He seemed to think this was odd, but now I wonder if it's Warner (or Warner Canada, anyway) attempting to make things right before the discs hit shelves. Wishful thinking, maybe...

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have written to my contacts at warner bros about the boxset. they said they are looking into it.
that is all the info that I have now.

Jacob

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Jacob, Thanks for writing your contacts at Warners. I hope that you mentioned the omission of the 1978 OST though it was clearly advertised on the Ultimate packaging and the official press release.

I agree with Adam that the S3 disc mixup on the box sets will actually help, not hurt. This is a MAJOR goof on WHV's part, and a slam dunk as far as FALSE ADVERTISING is concerned.

ERICKA

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I sent them a link at the superman cinema site about the situation.
we will probably not get an answer until monday.. because of the long holiday weekend.
Jacob

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
While I think this is being a blown a teeny bit out or porportion, I've also emailed my contacts at WHV about the matter. I also asked if they have a replacement policy in place for this, as well. Like most, I'm not expecting a reply until Monday.

However, I'm slated to receive my copy of Superman: The Ultimate Collection tomorrow (hopefully) and I'll see if my copy, as well, holds the erroneous Superman III disc.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

Thanks to you and everyone else who's contacted Warner.

I don't know if it's really being blown too far out of proportion. Considering I already own the 4 Reeve movies on DVD, having a) the proper version of S:TM, and b) a 2-hour explanation for Superman III, were probably among my Top 5 reasons for being excited about this set.

And trust me, I was excited. I had a couple days booked off next week to watch Superman DVDs and relax in general. I've now pushed those plans by a week in the hopes that maybe WHV will be quick to get corrected sets onto store shelves.

If it seems like everyone's freaking out a bit too much over some Superman DVDs, it's probably also because we want to make sure this gets addressed and not swept under the rug.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Fans have a right to be upset, but some of the comments made in this thread seem to be a teeny bit on the side of over-reaction. I suppose we can just hope for the best in this situation.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Happily this is Fan Friendly Warners we're dealing with and not some other studio, namely one based in Lucas Valley. If they made a mistake they'd probably be eager enough to fix it in the next pressing.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Considering the Star Wars fiasco earlier this year, we've been fairly well behaved so far.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Not being a Star Wars fan, I missed out on whatever happened almost completely. Still, I guess in comparison, I'll take your word for it.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
haha, well, fair enough, there has been some over-reaction. I've been trying my best to give WHV the benefit of the doubt, amidst all this, because they do strike me as a good bunch of people.

There are other studios who probably wouldn't understand why fans even wanted 1978 audio in the first place (nevermind The Donner Cut)...

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Regarding the Superman III cock-up, presumably you could just buy the single special edition disc and substitute that for the incorrect disc in the boxed set? It's a bit unnecessary - and an extra expense - but it could be done?

Oh, maybe not, I think SIII has different disc art on the single disc release than in the box set. Bloody hell :-( Can't these studios get ANYTHING right?

John

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
Details of both issues seem to have been removed from www.capedwonder.com. (Clearly I've had nothing better to do for the past couple days than periodically visit Superman fansites...)

Staying in benefit-of-the-doubt mode for the time being, this could mean that Warner is attempting to fix the problems before they impact the vast majority of consumers on 11/28.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Adam,
I agree with you. I don't think this matter has been blown out of proportion.
We have every right to expect the 1978 OST because it was promised in the press release to be present on the STM theatrical dvd in the first place.

Interesting that the comments have been removed from capedwonder, though.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit

I doubt that they can replace the discs on time for this coming Tuesday's release.

Still makes no sense on why they would do such a thing.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Then they should delay the release. Better to delay by a few days/weeks than to cause themselves and their customers 6+ months of stress getting discs replaced and generating unnecessary bad press.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks