What's new

Pre-Order SPHE Press Release: The Way We Were (1973) 50th Anniversary Edition (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I’d really like to be able to see the extended version. Currently only the theatrical cut is available in 4K digital. Ideally they could add it as an iTunes extra, however, I’d be willing to purchase it again if the extended version comes out as a separate listing.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
My pre-ordered Best Buy order came in the mail today. I just watched the extended cut and thought it was quite good, and surprisingly did enhance the story. It is not just footage added for padding. The disc itself, is stunning. Sony delivers again with a superb 4k restoration.

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
I’d really like to be able to see the extended version. Currently only the theatrical cut is available in 4K digital. Ideally they could add it as an iTunes extra, however, I’d be willing to purchase it again if the extended version comes out as a separate listing.
According to Barbra's upcoming memoir that was featured in Vanity Fair, the extended cut will be available on iTunes. This is the section where Barbra talks about receiving word from Tom Rothman (head of Sony Pictures) that they have agreed to include the extended cut with this release:

I was speechless for a moment. Hallelujah! I had been hoping for this since 1973! And then in the midst of expressing my gratitude and telling him how much this means to me, I said, “Oh…one more thing…while we’re at it, could you also do an iTunes release like we did for A Star Is Born, where both the original cut and my recut version [with added scenes] are available for the same price?”

There was silence at his end. But I quickly went on to say, “Young people don’t even buy Blu-rays anymore. They stream everything, and that’s a whole new audience for the film.”

I was encouraged because he didn’t say no right away, but as he reminded me, “Nor did I say yes.” It wasn’t until four months later that I was told he had approved the joint iTunes release.

I can’t tell you how happy I am that people are now going to be able to see this film the way it was originally conceived. It’s only taken 50 years, but my dream has finally come true!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
According to Barbra's upcoming memoir that was featured in Vanity Fair, the extended cut will be available on iTunes. This is the section where Barbra talks about receiving word from Tom Rothman (head of Sony Pictures) that they have agreed to include the extended cut with this release:

I was speechless for a moment. Hallelujah! I had been hoping for this since 1973! And then in the midst of expressing my gratitude and telling him how much this means to me, I said, “Oh…one more thing…while we’re at it, could you also do an iTunes release like we did for A Star Is Born, where both the original cut and my recut version [with added scenes] are available for the same price?”

There was silence at his end. But I quickly went on to say, “Young people don’t even buy Blu-rays anymore. They stream everything, and that’s a whole new audience for the film.”

I was encouraged because he didn’t say no right away, but as he reminded me, “Nor did I say yes.” It wasn’t until four months later that I was told he had approved the joint iTunes release.

I can’t tell you how happy I am that people are now going to be able to see this film the way it was originally conceived. It’s only taken 50 years, but my dream has finally come true!
By the way, that article is a fascinating read and chronicles her 50 year mission to fix what she felt was a flawed movie. If you have any doubts about whether or not it is okay to simply have the
“option” to be able to see an extended version, then the arguments should convince you. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/10/barbra-streisand-memoir-excerpt

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Sadly today on ITunes there no streaming version of the new cut of The Way We Were in iTunes.
Did Sony lie to Barbra?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I redeemed my digital code and it is the 118 minute version and it is unsupported to show in 4K...and it also shows "retailer is Amazon". WTF???
The extended cut is nowhere.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel

By the way, that article is a fascinating read and chronicles her 50 year mission to fix what she felt was a flawed movie. If you have any doubts about whether or not it is okay to simply have the
“option” to be able to see an extended version, then the arguments should convince you. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/10/barbra-streisand-memoir-excerpt
The way it was originally conceived??? Pollack had final say-what is she tawking about?
If this new footage is only all about her I will be majorly disappointed. I keep remembering how Walter Mathau said she kept telling Gene Kelly how to direct Hello Dolly which drove him nuts.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos

My iTunes copy of the film upgraded to 4K but it does not include the extended version of the film as an extra. So much for that approval...

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The extended cut of The Way We Were is now available in the iTunes Extras I started to watch the extended cut, and instead it is again the original theatrical cut.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My iTunes copy of the film upgraded to 4K but it does not include the extended version of the film as an extra. So much for that approval...
It looks like they're in the middle of adding the extended version as an extra, but when you click on it, the 118 minutes version plays back. Hopefully, they fix the digital file in the near future.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It looks like they're in the middle of adding the extended version as an extra, but when you click on it, the 118 minutes version plays back. Hopefully, they fix the digital file in the near future.
Star Trek Reaction GIF by reactionseditor
;) ...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The extended cut of The Way We Were is now available in the iTunes Extras I started to watch the extended cut, and instead it is again the original theatrical cut.
Yeah, when you click “play extended version” it plays back the 118 minute version without HDR. Come now, you didn’t really expect them to get it right on the first try, did you? :D

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think Barbra Streisand is going to be on Stephen Colbert's show in November plugging her autobiography. He mentioned on his show last night that he spent a weekend in Los Angeles interviewing a big star and I think it was her. She hasn't traveled for interviews much or at all since Covid . When she has appeared on talk shows from New York it has been where she appeared remotely on a monitor or the interviewer goes to her. Given the timing and that she has something to sell it just seems likely. Perhaps she will talk about her work creating the extended edition of "The Way We Were"

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
Apple has finally corrected the problem with the theatrical cut of the movie playing when selecting the extended version. It will now play the 123-minute cut of the film when you select the extended option.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apple has finally corrected the problem with the theatrical cut of the movie playing when selecting the extended version. It will now play the 123-minute cut of the film when you select the extended option.
Except it's not in 4K/Dolby Vision on iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks