What's new

Pre-Order SPHE Press Release: The Way We Were (1973) 50th Anniversary Edition (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
90eccdc8-6bbf-4ad8-993a-1ef0d4687be0.png
THE BELOVED TIMELESS CLASSIC
CELEBRATES ITS GOLDEN 50TH ANNIVERSARY
d034d23b-7353-2839-7980-4f1e1c1d533c.png
44c587b4-0bfe-d187-202d-fe69247f6846.jpg
FEATURING BOTH THE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION AND
AN ALL-NEW EXTENDED CUT OF THE FILM,
DEBUTING ON 4K ULTRA HD™ OCTOBER 17TH
SYNOPSIS
Screen legends Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford make movie magic as the captivating star-crossed lovers, Hubbell Gardiner and Katie Morosky. Theirs is a classic love story sparked by the attraction of opposites, played out against the backdrop of American life during times of foreign war, domestic prosperity and McCarthy-era paranoia in Hollywood. Winner of two 1973 Academy Awards® (Best Song "The Way We Were" and Best Score).

Academy Award® is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIALS
In close collaboration with Barbra Streisand and in celebration of the 50th anniversary of Sydney Pollack’s classic film, Columbia Pictures presents a new extended version of THE WAY WE WERE — restoring two important scenes where the love story and the political story come together — alongside the original theatrical version.

4K ULTRA HD DISC & BLU-RAY DISC
  • Featuring both the original 118-minute Theatrical Version and an all-new 123-minute Extended Version
  • Both versions remastered in 4K resolution from the original camera negative
    • With Dolby Vision on the 4K UHD
    • Presented in high definition on the Blu-ray
  • 5.1 audio + original mono for the Theatrical Version
  • Special Features:
    • Director’s Commentary (Theatrical Version Only)
    • Making-Of Documentary “Looking Back”
    • Theatrical Trailer
CAST AND CREW
Directed By: Sydney Pollack
Produced By: Ray Stark
Written By: Arthur Laurents
Music By: Marvin Hamlisch
Cast: Barbra Streisand, Robert Redford, Bradford Dillman, Viveca Lindfors, Herb Edelman, Murray Hamilton and Patrick O’Neal, and introducing Lois Chiles
SPECS
Run Time: Approx. 118 minutes / 123 minutes
Rating: PG (Theatrical Version) / Unrated (Extended Version)
Feature Picture: 4K Ultra HD: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 2.39:1. Blu-ray: 1080p High Definition, 2.39:1.
4K Ultra HD Feature Audio: Theatrical Version: English, French (PAR) 5.1 DTS-HD MA, English Mono DTS-HD MA, Spanish Dolby Surround. Extended Version: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per the Amazon description:
  • Release date ‏ : ‎ October 17, 2023
In close collaboration with Barbra Streisand and in celebration of the 50th anniversary of Sydney Pollack’s classic film, Columbia Pictures presents a new extended version of THE WAY WE WERE — restoring two important scenes where the love story and the political story come together — alongside the original theatrical version.

Some may complain because the director, Sydney Pollack, did not want these scenes in the picture so this is not "A Director's Cut" and is not promoted as such. However the original cut is also included. Now will both be included on the digital version?

Includes a blu ray which has previously only been available from Twilight Time limited edition in the US.

Some time ago in an interview Ms. Streisand mentioned she was working on one of her movies . She said it wasn't necessarily one she directed. I mentioned on this board that I hoped it was TWWW and that she would restore the cut scenes.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Streisand has directed several feature films and is known to exert iron control over her projects. Am I the only one who thinks it's incredibly disrespectful to the late Sydney Pollack for her, as a fellow director/creator, to use her influence to produce a revised cut of the film that he refused to approve while he was alive ?

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Streisand has directed several feature films and is known to exert iron control over her projects. Am I the only one who thinks it's incredibly disrespectful to the late Sydney Pollack for her, as a fellow director/creator, to use her influence to produce a revised cut of the film that he refused to approve while he was alive ?
No, you are not the only one to think that way. Fortunately this new disc will also include the original version so people can watch the "revised" version once to see what was cut and forever after watch only the version Mr. Pollack approved.

I just hope that proper care is taken to ensure that the disc presents both versions with immaculate images and sound

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Presumably there is just one 4K disc as the film is listed on Amazon as 2 discs and includes the blu ray version. It would seem they would use seamless branching to include both versions of the film on one disc.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to see this is on the way. Originally we thought it was coming back in February.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Presumably there is just one 4K disc as the film is listed on Amazon as 2 discs and includes the blu ray version. It would seem they would use seamless branching to include both versions of the film on one disc.
If they don't use seamless branching, they could use a 100GB disc.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
No, you are not the only one to think that way. Fortunately this new disc will also include the original version so people can watch the "revised" version once to see what was cut and forever after watch only the version Mr. Pollack approved.

Or they can enjoy whichever one they want? :cool:

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On another forum they are speculating that the cover looks like something that was prepared for a Columbia Classics Vol 4 which apparently is not happening.

LeoF

Auditioning
I can‘t get the pre-order link to work. By the way, when will the 4K disc be released?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can‘t get the pre-order link to work. By the way, when will the 4K disc be released?

Hey Leo!

The release date is October 17th.

As usual, the link went temporarily unavailable, but keep checking back as it should go live again soon.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Happy to see Babs is opening the “vaults” for UHD BD releases. Wonder if she’ll ever agree to BD releases of The Television Specials.

On another forum they are speculating that the cover looks like something that was prepared for a Columbia Classics Vol 4 which apparently is not happening.
Is the surmise about Volume 4 not happening because each existing Volume was released in consecutive years, June has of course passed and we I think haven’t heard anything about an October 2023 surprise?

If this is true, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I’m glad I won’t have to go through the gyrations I did to get AS GOOD AS IT GETS for other bundled Columbia UHD BDs. But on the other, that assumes that titles which might have been included in a box set are going to get released a la carte. Streisand, sure. But some smaller pictures, maybe not.

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Is the surmise about Volume 4 not happening because each existing Volume was released in consecutive years, June has of course passed and we I think haven’t heard anything about an October 2023 surprise?
Sony didn't issue a press release announcing Volume 3 until August 10 last year, so maybe there's still hope for volume 4 this year?

I had the same thought about the cover art.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Sony didn't issue a press release announcing Volume 3 until August 10 last year, so maybe there's still hope for volume 4 this year?
Yes. Precisely why I said "surmise": I'm wondering what the supposition "on another forum" about Vol. 4 supposedly not happening is based upon. "When [those] scamps get together [they're] worse than a knitting circle."

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
Great News! Arthur Laurents would be thrilled that those scenes are coming back...! Dare we hope 4K FUNNY GIRL is on the horizon? James Wong Howe's final color cinematography in 4k FUNNY LADY?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Interesting that Sony is including a Blu-ray with this release, considering how many recent catalog 4K releases have ditched the Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks