What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are certain knowns.

The flight of the bumblebees returning to Capistrano each Spring. Flounder making their way up the Hudson to spawn...

and that any new release from Columbia (Sony) will be stellar in quality thanks to the Crisp team.

The new 4k UHD release of two versions of the now fifty year-old Sydney Pollack film, The Way We Were, with Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford in the leads is no exception.

The interesting thing here is the second (extended) version of the film, which runs five minutes longer than the original release. It's basically two extended sequences and a newly released penultimate scene at UCLA. The additions add to Miss Streisand's character, and fall into the political background found in the film, ei the McCarthy hearings, and how they affect the relationship.

From a tech perspective, every frame of this film is perfection. Dolby Vision has been delicately applied, and colors and densities glow.

Of course, this is a 50th Anniversary Edition, which is zero reason to purchase it, but it is emblazoned at the bottom of both the slipcover as well as on the inner packaging. Said slip has a glossy finish, which may look elegant on someone's slipcover display, but I doubt that it will become a collectible.

This is one of the few slipcover enhanced released, for which I recommend a purchase for the contents, as opposed to the generally more important slip.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 2

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I took my girlfriend to see this movie when it came out during its theatrical run. My 4K/UHD shipped so I should have it by Tuesday at the latest.
Well, I was nine when it was released. It wasn’t really the type of movie that was on my radar.

It appears I get to wait a week for mine.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My number #1 interests in purchasing this edition is for the cinematography of Harry Stradling, Jr. Two career Oscar nominations for The Way We Were and 1776; now together in the 4K/UHD format.

P.S. I don’t think it to be a coincidence that Barbara Streisand and Harry, Jr. collaborated on The Way We Were, as she earlier worked with Harry, Sr. on Funny Girl and Hello, Dolly! I am sensing that a through-line of loyalties may had been at play.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My Amazon order still says shipping at the end of November.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, at that particular time, it wasn't my type of movie either. :laugh:
Back in ancient times , when "films" were produced by halides of silver on a base of polyester - during the summer, the previous output of the studios would be paired with another output of the studios on a "Double-Bill". During these times after the awards season my mom dragged me to one of these double-bills - The other film has been more or less lost to memories ... (I didn't much of a clue what was going on either one) ...

1697304842497.png

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Back in ancient times , when "films" were produced by halides of silver on a base of polyester - during the summer, the previous output of the studios would be paired with another output of the studios on a "Double-Bill". During these times after the awards season my mom dragged me to one of these double-bills - The other film has been more or less lost to memories ... (I didn't much of a clue what was going on either one) ...

View attachment 200698
Since Columbia Pictures deemed Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams to make for a good Double-Bill with The Way We We’re in 1973-74 then, perhaps, they might follow suit and soon release this Oscar nominated performance by Joanne Woodward on at least a Blu ray, as well.

Okay, back to Babs…

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'd consider ordering a second one, see if it has a delivery date next week, and if it does, cancel the initial order.

Might do this.
it says ships this week but on the other hand what if the price goes down before the first one ships. 🤔

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am guessing since it wasn't mentioned that there is no downgrade in the film quality of the newly inserted footage so that if you had not seen the film before you would not notice which scenses were new or extended.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I am guessing since it wasn't mentioned that there is no downgrade in the film quality of the newly inserted footage so that if you had not seen the film before you would not notice which scenses were new or extended.
Afaik, all ocn. You’ll see no difference.

Last edited:

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
My pre-ordered Best Buy order came in the mail today. I just watched the extended cut and thought it was quite good, and surprisingly did enhance the story. It is not just footage added for padding. The disc itself, is stunning. Sony delivers again with a superb 4k restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks