What's new

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyway I’m going to wait a few more days until the digital files get sorted out to redeem my copy.

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
Re Deleted comment: I reread it and it was, frankly, all hearsay as I was not in the room or at the dinner table when Mr. Laurents discussed the film. I did meet Mr. Laurents when he attended a workshop of a musical that my best friend was working on, and he and Tom were quite lovely as they chatted with my friend. I, of course, stayed in the background!

The info seems also available elsewhere and didn't seem to bring anything new to the table. Perhaps I should have just expressed my heartfelt belief that Mr. Laurents should be considered the true auteur of the film in my opinion. I am so glad that his vision for the film (despite the process that involved rewrites by others, and then his returning to the project) has been finally given a chance!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I’m surprised Sydney Pollack didn’t develop an ulcer or a heart attack dealing and walking on egg shells with Streisand , Laurents and Stark all on one film! I have to agree with his decisions though it’s basically a tragic love story and we all know it’s not going to last as they keep fighting throughout the entire film. People go to fictional movies to be entertained and not pushed into a political agenda. In the VF article she keeps contradicting herself how she loves Pollack and most of his decisions but he knew how to tweak it and how to make it work. And many a film differ from their source and don’t include everything written in them for that very reason. And do we really need another zoom close up of Streisand crying again to flesh out the story? I got that Katie was a frustrated leftist without needing that extra vanity scene.
The extended version is a little too heavy handed to me now for a soap opera-ish love story. And can someone please explain to me why at the end he’s entirely clueless to his own daughter’s existence? Only if he deserted them would this makes sense and if so then why is she so delighted to see him? He never kept in contact woth his own child? That seems out of character for Hubble.
But boy does she have power to pull this one off. I love how they just call it an “extended “ version and not the “Babs” version. This must be unprecedented where a star puts cut material back into another director’s film. Are there any others? And does she have all cut footage from all her films? Geesh.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The extended version has been corrected and is now the longer version.
Additionally Arthur Laurents also wanted those scenes restored.
I read yesterday that Laurent's original screenplay was based on his relationship with Farley Granger and how HUAC caused their relationship to fracture .

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
The extended version has been corrected and is now the longer version.
Additionally Arthur Laurents also wanted those scenes restored.
I read yesterday that Laurent's original screenplay was based on his relationship with Farley Granger and how HUAC caused their relationship to fracture .
I was just coming here to post the same news. :biggrin:

Real Name
steven alejandro
Wonder what Immanuel Kant would say about this

I Hate Him Turner Classic Movies GIF by HBO Max

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
My iTunes version isn't even showing an option to access the extras, just an option to play the original theatrical version.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
Amazon in Canada is working overtime to kill physical media sales. They never made it available for pre-order. When it did briefly became available it sold for the bargain price of $67.38 tax included.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I guess you have to purchase the actual 4K UHD and redeem the included code to get the extended version as an iTunes extra.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess you have to purchase the actual 4K UHD and redeem the included code to get the extended version as an iTunes extra.
Not necessarily because I purchased the actual 4K/UHD, but I haven’t redeemed my code yet. However, the HD digital I previously purchased on iTunes upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision with the extended version as an extra without Dolby Vision.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Not necessarily because I purchased the actual 4K/UHD, but I haven’t redeemed my code yet. However, the HD digital I previously purchased on iTunes upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision with the extended version as an extra without Dolby Vision.
Geez, I don't know what's going on with my iTunes then. The iTunes Extra option doesn't appear on my AppleTV+ app either on my iPhone, MacBook, or 4K SmartTV. It only gives me the option to play the theatrical cut. :(

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The Way We Were 4K UHD is selling like hot cakes - Amazon seemed to have cleared out their stock already.

Joseph McBride

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph McBride
FYI, THE WAY WE WERE has nothing to do with the McCarthy hearings. Joseph McCarthy was a U.S. senator. The House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC) was the committee that investigated Hollywood, as is shown in the film. The Senate and the House are separate bodies.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I'm on my second 4K disc and both exhibit glitches and shuddering as the film moves through the 3rd layer of the 100gb disc.
Has anyone had difficulty with the last segment...beginning with Redford coming down the second floor stair at the studio, through Streisand's car stopping for the student ralley in the extended edition?

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I’m surprised Sydney Pollack didn’t develop an ulcer or a heart attack dealing and walking on egg shells with Streisand , Laurents and Stark all on one film! I have to agree with his decisions though it’s basically a tragic love story and we all know it’s not going to last as they keep fighting throughout the entire film. People go to fictional movies to be entertained and not pushed into a political agenda. In the VF article she keeps contradicting herself how she loves Pollack and most of his decisions but he knew how to tweak it and how to make it work. And many a film differ from their source and don’t include everything written in them for that very reason. And do we really need another zoom close up of Streisand crying again to flesh out the story? I got that Katie was a frustrated leftist without needing that extra vanity scene.
The extended version is a little too heavy handed to me now for a soap opera-ish love story. And can someone please explain to me why at the end he’s entirely clueless to his own daughter’s existence? Only if he deserted them would this makes sense and if so then why is she so delighted to see him? He never kept in contact woth his own child? That seems out of character for Hubble.
But boy does she have power to pull this one off. I love how they just call it an “extended “ version and not the “Babs” version. This must be unprecedented where a star puts cut material back into another director’s film. Are there any others? And does she have all cut footage from all her films? Geesh.
"People go to fictional movies to be entertained and not pushed into a political agenda. " said Hubble--only he didn't really because Ray Stark didn't want the film to be clear on the actual division of the characters since it dealt with politics. I'd rather have that clash explained than be comfortable in my cozy movie seat watching "The Marvels."

In any case, why SHOULDN'T Streisand be as much of an auteur here as Pollack? She cared deeply about the material and is the one who got it made at the lowest price with the double-dealing Stark. She certainly has the pedigree of talent to steer a project and I think the added footage was memorable and not distracting at all. But I think I understand the misogyny that she struggles against...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks