What's new

Speakers Screeching and Popping (1 Viewer)

glaurenc

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Laurence
I have a Denon AVR-788 which is powering a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 5jr speakers (front) and Pioneer center channel speaker (center), and a pair of Polk Audio in-wall speakers (rear). I've got optical audio lines carrying the signals from a Sony Blu-Ray player and from a Hitachi LED TV into the optical in slots on the Denon. My iPod dock is connected to the Aux through a standard analog connection.

Basically, I am getting very strange popping and screeching through my speakers through every input connected to the Denon. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes it starts after listening for a while and sometimes it starts immediately on powering up the Denon. I had originally noticed this problem when running audio through the HDMI inputs on the Denon and it seemed to go away when using the optical cables instead, but has reappeared.

Any thoughts? I am fearful that I need a new A/V Receiver, but would love to try any other ideas that anyone might have before moving on. Thanks in advance.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
You'll need to do a bit of sleuthing to sort out the problem.

--have you tried using plain old analog wiring from your sources to the Denon? Any problem there?

--have you tried using any other speakers? still a problem?

--can you find, borrow or get some other amp with optical in and test it with your sources and speakers?

--You could haul it to a buddies place, and hook into his sources and speakers. Run like heck if you waste his speakers, though!

My first guess is that you've got a problem in the Denon. My condolences....!

glaurenc

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Laurence
Thanks for the advice. Here's what I did:

I unplugged the optical line in and ran the components just using analog connections. No change.

I disconnected one speaker at a time until only the front speakers remained plugged in. The popping was still there, but isolated to the front left channel.

I hooked up a heretofore unused speaker to the front left. No change.

So, I was at that point reasonably confident that the issue isn't with any of my speakers and has to do with at least the front left channel of the Denon, but more likely with the front left and the rear channels.

At this point, I sent a description of what's going on to 2 authorized Denon service centers here in Michigan. One has replied suggesting it may a problem with the DSP Board (something he's seen before with Denons, apparently) and if that's the case will run "about $100" to repair.

If it's really only $100, I think I can stomach it though the question as always is when do I start throwing good money after bad. $100 is about 25% of a new Marantz NR 1501, after all...

tjohnusa

Agent
Real Name
Terry John
I had a set of those Polk 5's....loved em. I would try contacting Denon's customer service if the receiver isn't too old to see if they may help....even if they cover half the cost that would be nice. If this is a design problem they should be responsive...don't be afraid to mention you may not buy another Denon product. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks