3D Blu-ray Review Despicable Me 2: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]
    What can I say? I love 3D! From the moment I began watching 3D content in my home I quickly discovered that I needed more content. I suspect that those of you just purchasing your first 3D hardware will acquire the same ferocious appetite. That's why I became the HTF 3D ADDICT. I personally love images that pop off the screen and come inches away from your face without becoming overly gimmicky. However, I certainly appreciate the nature documentaries that offer beautiful depth and separation. These are not necessarily reviews of the film themselves. I am not going to concentrate on story or supplements -- you can find the 2D reviews elsewhere on this forum. My job is to let you know exactly what kind of 3D experience to expect from the titles that are being released. As I will be receiving a handful of new product from the studios expect to see more title coverage.

[​IMG]
    Despicable Me 2

Studio: Universal
    Product Release: December 10, 2013
    Ratio: 1.85:1
    Audio: DTS-HD MA 5.1
    Running Time: 98 minutes
    Rating: PG

[​IMG]
    On A Scale 0-5

Overall 3D Presentation Rating: 5
    3D Separation: 5
    3D In Yo' Face Factor: 5

As I begin to write my final review for this year, I find myself reflecting
    upon all the 3D Blu-ray releases over the past 12 months. I am going
    on record as saying that 2013 was an exceptional year for this format
    and I am very happy to report that ends with one of the finest 3D releases
    of them all...

Yeah, I couldn't wait until release day for Despicable Me 2. The original
    Blu-ray was once at the very top of my Top Must Own 3D Titles list, and knowing
    how much the animators favored pop-out effects, I was certain going into this
    film that it would aim to please. I was not disappointed....and neither will you.

[​IMG]

Picking up some short time after the original film, we find Gru (Steve Carell)
    retired from being a super villain as he concentrates on being a father and a
    legitimate businessman. You know, instead of blowing things up and creating
    general havoc, he he's entertaining young kids at a Birthday party, dressed as
    a fairy princess. However, that life suddenly comes to a screeching halt when
    an agent named Lucy Wilde (Kristen Wiig) persuades Gru to help the Anti Villain
    League hunt down a mastermind who has taken off with a secret formula that
    turns innocent people into monsters.

With most all of the original cast and filmmakers returning for this sequel,
    Despicable Me 2 aims higher than its predecessor thanks to the amount of
    emphasis that is placed on its unusual stars, the Minions. This was a smart
    thing to do given the fact that any scene with these lovable creatures manages
    to get the biggest laughs, while the rest of the film sort of "hits" or "misses" when
    it comes to trying to retain the magic of the original.

[​IMG]

It becomes rather impossible to say anything negative about an animated
    transfer like this that has been created entirely within the digital realm. It's
    virtually flawless, with its vivid palette of colors and razor-sharp images that
    beautifully detail the film's tremendous animation efforts. I really loved watching
    the scenes that take place in the Minion tropical paradise. I think they show off
    the most impressive levels of color from deep sky blues to the banana yellows of
    the Minions themselves. Black levels are something to behold here as well,
    particularly evident in young Agnes's (Elsie Fisher) hair or Dr. Nefario's (Russell
    Brand) gloves. This is a transfer that is going to really make your display show
    its worth.

As for the 3D, it's got a lot going for it as well. First, there is an ample amount of
    depth that separates foreground and background objects. Animation is perfectly
    layered throughout the film so that certain objects (such as overhead light fixtures)
    stand more prominently forward than everything else. The use of descriptive
    computer overlay gives a very nice 3D effect. Of course, as with the original film,
    Despicable Me 2 plays to its audience, taking every opportunity it can to throw
    props outwards. From an inflatable pony, to unraveling party horns, to floating
    shards of glass -- there is always something coming at the audience. Look at Gru's
    nose and the way it always seems to poke itself out of the screen. Unfortunately,
    outside of a few character hand extends, the outward reach seems rather limited
    for the in-film content. The real deal comes during the ending credits (which you
    must watch completely through), where various objects mishandled by the Minions
    come the furthest forward. These are the real 3D moments to savor. I suppose
    Universal was afraid viewers would skip the credits so they have included most (or all)
    of the credit hijinks in the opening menu.

[​IMG]

Ghosting issues are ever-so minor. In fact, outside of the ghosting on the opening
    credits (same problem as the original film) and a bubble sequence during the
    closing credits, I hardly noticed any issues on my active shutter display.

Despicable Me 2 features a 5.1 DTS-MA track that is just as engaging as the film
    itself. Effects work their way effortlessly across the channels. Dialogue is clear
    throughout while the film's music seems to get even distribution around the entire
    sound field. LFE is very much present in some of the film's action sequences,
    particularly those involving the flying magnet. There's a lot of toe-tapping musical
    moments to enjoy here. I was most pleased that one of my favorite instrumentals
    by Barry White's Love Unlimited Orchestra was included.

[​IMG]

Despicable Me 2 arrives as a 3-Disc set (Blu-ray 3d+Blu-ray+DVD and Digital HD)
    housed in a really cool lenticular cardboard slipcover that features a blown party
    favor. There's a wealth of extra material that I really didn't have time to spend with,
    but I did take the opportunity to watch one of the three included mini-movies (the
    only one in 3D), Puppy. It's actually a very cute short that features great dimensional
    depth (though no pop-out).

CONCLUSION

[​IMG]

Despicable Me 2 falls a bit short of the original, but still remains quite funny thanks
    to the time that is spent with its lovable Minions. I can't get enough of those little
    guys and I look forward to their own spin-off feature in 2014.

Meanwhile, this is yet another "must have" release for anyone that wants to enjoy the
    full potential their 3D display has to offer. Despicable Me 2 is just plain "fun" and it
    makes for one of the very best 3D releases of 2013.

Images are for illustrative purpose only not representative of the picture quality of this disc.

Equipment

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 THX Certified 3D display
    Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu-ray Player
    Denon 3311CI Receiver
    Atlantic Technology H-PAS AT-1 fronts, 4400 center; 4200 rear speakers
    SV Sound Subwoofer

2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Picked it up last night. I too, LOVE THE MINIONS!!! They are just too hilarious every time they appear on screen.

3. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I just found myself chuckling throughout this film.

It is very funny.

I also was so moved by the minions that I placed an order for this....

minion.jpeg

Click Here

This should look cool in my home theater room. There are other
    Minions available, but I like Dave the best.

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I'm going to assume that some sort of automated spell-checker converted "Gru" to "Guru" throughout your review. :)

5. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    It sure did, and I didn't catch it in the final proofread.

Thanks, Aaron. I made the corrections.

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Methinks an update to THE list is forthwith.

7. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Phil is my favorite, but I love them all.

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Thanks for the review Ron. I enjoyed this one in theaters and picked up the 3D version of it yesterday, but haven't had the chance to watch it. I'm glad to hear it's good. I almost didn't get the 3D version because of all the different options, retailer exclusives, etc., but eventually did and it sounds like I'll be glad I did.

9. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    This is under the tree for my youngest this year. He loved it in theatres and will love it at home.

10. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Look what Amazon has put on their shipping boxes to advertise the upcoming Minions film:

Minions.jpg

Johnny Angell likes this.