What's new

Speakers - 5.1 then 7.1 (1 Viewer)

Bashkir

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy
Hey there, I just purchased a 7.1 channel Reciever (Yamaha RX V657) and now I need some speakers. I am going to start with a 5.1 setup then will move up to a 7.1 when I have the funds. I am much more concerned with great sound and balance over loudness. The TV is located in a fairly large room (17X10X17) and the seating position will be 4-6 feet. Also I have been told that I should really "match" my speakers to this specific amp: how? Sorry for the noob questions, please help me audiogods!

Budget- I don't have much disposable income at the moment, therefore: MRSP value of $1000 (gogo ebay).

Thanks
Troy

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I know their are those who think a particular receiver should be matched to a particular brand of speakers for best results. I from my own experience that is over played once you get past the fact of the receiver providing adequate power for the speaker design.

Back in the 1970's a friend and I argued the merits of what was the better amp for our Bose 901 series II speakers his tube MacIntosh or my Sansui 9090DB. So one day we carted them all over to his house and sent our speakers and amps and we used the same phono cartarges. Try as we might once we adjusted the treble, midrange, and bass controls to the same levels we could not distinguish any difference is the sound quality of either the his tube Mac vs my solid state rice burner.

Our conclusion is that both of us had good quality amps that where just doing their designated jobs to amplify sound to identical speaker systems.

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
Try to at least match the brand with the other speakers you already have, for some timbre balance. If possible match all the rear speakers at the same model for complete coherence.

Don't forget to get match the dB reference with a mic if your receiver can take one. If not, then get a radio shack SPL meter to match the SPLs for the total speaker balance.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

SVSound - Complete Systems
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I have been involved with home stereo since 1970, but am new to home theater. Believe me your selection of speakers is the most critical and important decision you will make in setting up your sound stage. What others tell you means little and what your hear and the way you processes it means everything.

Have you noticed that there are only a few major players making TV's, and Receivers yet their are many more companys who are in the loud speaker business. This is because their are difference's in how each one of us individually perceive and evaluate sound.

My suggestion is to audition as many sound systems that fall withen your price range as possible. Evaluate what your friends own and visit B&M stores and do A-B comparisons. Take Music and Video you are familiar with to do your evaluation. Then purchase the system that floats your boat the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks