What's new

5.1 and 7.1 soundtracks The Accountant UHD (1 Viewer)

Old Dog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martyn
There are a couple of DTS HD Master versions (5.1 (soundtrack 2), and 7.1 (soundtrack 1)) on my copy. The disc automatically plays the 7.1 version, but I don’t have a 7.1 speaker set up (I don’t actually have a 5.1 either - don’t use a sub just for the record) and I find there is a distinct difference in audio quality between the two. Without a doubt I find the 5.1 version superior.
I am thinking the 5.1 sounds better because there is no need for the receiver to reconfigure the track to a lower speaker config, would this make sense, or are there other possibilities?

GMC ELECTRIC

Auditioning
Real Name
Guy Mckee
This depends on how you are displaying your audio. Are you listening to it through your TV speakers, soundbar or AVR? It boils down to the ability to decode and playback the uncompressed audio. That being said, your DAC'S & speakers should determine the quality of what you are hearing. If using your TV for sound playback how many speakers does it have? In my opinion the 5.1 should sound exactly like the 7.1 when playing it through stereo speakers or a basic soundbar. Hopefully an expert will chime in on this subject!

Attachments

• Theta eArc.jpg
    Theta eArc.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 14

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unfortunately, your question is too vague. What specifically do you find superior about the 5.1 soundtrack?

In the end, if you have a five channel system, there's really nothing to be gained by playing a seven channel soundtrack. So, play the five channel one and be done with it.

Old Dog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martyn
Are you listening to it through your TV speakers, soundbar or AVR?
Mono amps for each of the fronts, avr driving the rears.
In the end, if you have a five channel system, there's really nothing to be gained by playing a seven channel soundtrack. So, play the five channel one and be done with it.
That is what I of course do. The initial issue was the movie automatically plays the 7.1 version. It is the only disc I have that has two DTS HD Master soundtracks 5.1 and 7.1. If discs have two English soundtracks they are DTHD and DTS HDM, hence this disc is a one off in my collection and have nothing to compare.

I know little about the process of recording digital audio, but that an avr will reconfigure audio to suit and thought this could be a reason for the difference.

Generally, I find there are differences between between Dolby and DTS tracks on the same movies and more often than not I prefer the DTS version, which appear to sound a bit more dynamic, with greater clarity and detail, BUT not always! The description is pretty much how I would also describe the difference between the 5.1 and 7.1 DTS HDM soundtracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks