What's new

Speaker setup opinion from speakers I listed? (1 Viewer)

nycguy718

Grip
Real Name
luis
I am new here but I think I have decided to go with DefTech for my system. First I was sold on the ProCinema and hang the speakers on the wall but after doing more research I m thinking about the BP-8040 Speakers.Would there be a big difference between these 2 setups?

setup 1 = Denon AVR-33213CI with DefTech ProCinema 1000

or

setup2 = Denon AVR-3313CI with 2= BP8040ST , CS-8060HD , 2= SR-8080BP

I will be mostly watching movies and using Airplay to listen to Itunes music. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and my MAIN goal is to get the wow factor from clear and crisp speakers not just loud. Is setup 2 overboard for an apartment? anything you would do to make this better?

Opinions would be appreciated

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no such this as "overboard". That is why you have a volume knob.

If you got the cash difference, I'd get setup 2. The only thing I'd change out(for me personally...as I don't like this type* di/bi-pole) is the 8080BP for a pair of(well that is weird...Def Tech doesn't have a standard bookshelf speaker in the series...)

*I'm a fan of a total bi-di-pole that radiates completely around the speaker. One that just send sound right and left is not my cup of tea.

nycguy718

Grip
Real Name
luis
schan what speakers would you go with for the back or sorround? I did not include a sub in setup 2 because the bp8040 have built in subs. Then later in time I can purchase a seperate sub. Would the procinema 1000 be good for surround ? or back speakers instead of the di/bi-pole 8080bp ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Surround duty is what you make of it.

Me? I'd buy two pairs of BP8040ST(not kidding).

There is nothing wrong with that style of speaker. They just aren't my style. I listen to a lot of music, especially SACD/DVD-A. That is the reason every one of my "purpose" theatres is tower speakers in at least the front and surround(I use height and wide as well...those are not tower speakers).

But I sacrifice room function for sound. My three theatres, the rooms are setup based on best sound first. Ergonomics 2nd.

If you have to work with ergonomics first(which 90% of the people on this forum do)...then that predicates your speaker decisions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Take my living room...40x40(ish).

The "TV area" is roughly 15x17. The TV sits centered on the wall..

Here is how I chose what went in the room...

I chose to sit 9' off the wall. I placed my chair there. The speakers in the room are DCM TF600 for the front. DCM TF350 for the rear. Surroundscape center and DCM KX wides(I think KX8, the tag fell off long ago). The subwoofer is a DIY mutt.

I placed all "5" speakers where they should go...exactly 9' from the center chair in the room. So yes, the DCM TF350s sit in the middle of room with nothing around them. I placed the KX in the windows 6 feet outside the TF600(Audyssey corrects the distance difference).

After the sound was fine tuned in the room...then the book cases came in, the other two chairs and all the other knick-knacks that go in here.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I gotta admit the big Def Techs is one system I would love to hear in a well-executed environment (I have a feeling they do best with very specific placement). Im not sure they would be for me, as accuracy is what I treasure above all else, but I have a feeling this Def Tech package (#2) is exceptional overall performance for the money. Keep us updated on what you go with Luis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks