What's new

7.1.4 in long and narrow room (1 Viewer)

Rairun

Grip
Real Name
Tore Cagli
Hi all!
I want to build a home theater in a room 6m long and 3m wide. The screen is gonna be a 120" acoustically transparent. The desired viewing distance is 3.4m (approx. 11 ft).
I want 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup. Unfortunately I can't achieve the angles from Dolby guide. LCR has to be farther than it needs to be. I can't bring LCR and the screen closer to MLP, the viewing distance would be too short. My questions:

1. Is it a better idea to build 5.1.4 instead?
  2. The side surrounds would be pretty close to MLP (less than 1.5m). Would it be a good idea to buy Klipsch RP-402S for side surrounds? (The rest of my speakers are Klipsch RP series.) RP-402S is neither dipole nor bipole. Klipsch call it WDST. But I never heard one and I don't know how it would function in an Atmos setup. Currently I have a 5.1.2 system in another room. The surrounds (monopole) are 2m away from MLP and I find it quite distracting sometimes.
  3. Would front wides help to fill the gap between the LCR and surrounds?
Opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
P.S. The drawing is scaled accurately.

Top 1.jpg

Top 2.jpg

Attachments

• Top 2.jpg
    Top 2.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Top 2.jpg
    Top 2.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 48

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My question is, why make the screen that big and then sit 3/4 of the way across the room from it? Couldn't you make the screen smaller, sit closer, and get better audio since the room is used to better effect? Or, keep the screen that big and sit closer than is "ideal"? It just seems that you are compromising the entire experience in order to fill the wall with image.

Projectors aren't really my area, but plenty of others can help you there. What I do know is you are compromising the audio to set it up this way, and the visual seems like it's being compromised as well.

Can you wall mount your surround speakers? The Dolby setup you posted is for a living space, with surrounds on stands. You can do a whole lot better than that in a dedicated room.

One observation on the overhead speakers, Dolby really suggests to far a spacing. The angles from the main viewing position probably should be about half what they suggest.

Finally, are you willing to consider something other than Klipsch?

Rairun

Grip
Real Name
Tore Cagli
My question is, why make the screen that big and then sit 3/4 of the way across the room from it? Couldn't you make the screen smaller, sit closer, and get better audio since the room is used to better effect? Or, keep the screen that big and sit closer than is "ideal"? It just seems that you are compromising the entire experience in order to fill the wall with image.

Projectors aren't really my area, but plenty of others can help you there. What I do know is you are compromising the audio to set it up this way, and the visual seems like it's being compromised as well.

Can you wall mount your surround speakers? The Dolby setup you posted is for a living space, with surrounds on stands. You can do a whole lot better than that in a dedicated room.

One observation on the overhead speakers, Dolby really suggests to far a spacing. The angles from the main viewing position probably should be about half what they suggest.

Finally, are you willing to consider something other than Klipsch?
Thank you for the input. You raised some good questions.

I'm currently watching on a 135" screen and I wouldn't want to go back to a screen smaller than 120". For me it makes a big difference in terms of immersiveness. I could actually still consider your suggestion but it's too late, the screen is shipped from China :)

This is gonna be a dedicated cinema room. So I'm flexible with placements. I can wall mount the surround speakers. But I'm not sure what kind of positioning you recommend.

Interesting suggestion about the height speakers. If so, why does Dolby guide advises this way?

I would like to consider something other than Klipsch but the issue is budget. I'll buy Denon AVR-X3800H and a native 4K projector. Regardless, what would you suggest?

Btw, I'm really considering bipoles for side surrounds despite Dolby advises against it, since I'm gonna be sitting close to them. I don't like it when I feel "conscious" about them while watching something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks