What's new

Sony launches Columbia-Classics website (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by jim_falconer

I wonder when Sony will release the 1931 films 'Girls Demand Excitment'/'Three Girls Lost'? These were suppose to have hit the DVD format last year, after a NYC screening, but have not heard anything since...
Send them a question. They have a dedicated page for questions:
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/columbiaclassics/ask-the-expert/

I asked them to reissue the Boetticher set on Blu-ray. The films are only short, so they could probably fit them all on 3 discs.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
HAS THE NEW HOLLYWOOD SET BEEN CANCELLED?

There's no mention of it on the website anymore. Nobody seems to care or comment on this and my inquiries always go neglected.

Is this off the release schedule??

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti

There's no mention of it on the website anymore. Nobody seems to care or comment on this and my inquiries always go neglected.

Send them a question. They have a dedicated page for questions:
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/columbiaclassics/ask-the-expert/

WadeM

Supporting Actor

When I saw Easy Rider get a stand-alone Blu-ray release about the same time that this box was thought to be scheduled, I gave up most hope for it. I'd like to see it, but at this point I'm just sitting in the background playing wait and see.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by WadeM

When I saw Easy Rider get a stand-alone Blu-ray release about the same time that this box was thought to be scheduled, I gave up most hope for it. I'd like to see it, but at this point I'm just sitting in the background playing wait and see.
What were the titles again? I think I already own all except one of the titles, so it was kind of pointless for me.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
HEAD, A SAFE PLACE, and DRIVE, HE SAID have never been released and all the others were slated to be brand new remasters (King Of Marvin Gardens, Five Easy Pieces, Easy Rider) with additional supplements. It looked to be a fantastic set and I hope it's still planned for future release.

As for the Sony email page, I just sent them my inquiry but why the hell do they need to know your zipcode, phone number, age, etc. Looks more like a marketing survey than a contact page. I had to make up an address since I'm in Canada...

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

HEAD, A SAFE PLACE, and DRIVE, HE SAID have never been released and all the others were slated to be brand new remasters (King Of Marvin Gardens, Five Easy Pieces, Easy Rider) with additional supplements. It looked to be a fantastic set and I hope it's still planned for future release.

As for the Sony email page, I just sent them my inquiry but why the hell do they need to know your zipcode, phone number, age, etc. Looks more like a marketing survey than a contact page. I had to make up an address since I'm in Canada...
Wow, I would be tempted to get this set if it includes new transfers of King of Marvin Gardens and Five Easy Pieces, preferably with Bob Rafelson commentaries. (Having said that I would like both of those films on Blu-ray).

My recollection is the King of Marvin Gardens DVD is pretty good, but the Region 4 copy of Five Easy Pieces I have is pretty poor.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

I had conversation with genial Mike Schlesinger the other night about this. It is definitely NOT cancelled; it's just been a matter of accomodating Bob Rafelson's schedule for supplement participation. Once his material is done, the box will emerge forthwith.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck

I had conversation with genial Mike Schlesinger the other night about this. It is definitely NOT cancelled; it's just been a matter of accomodating Bob Rafelson's schedule for supplement participation. Once his material is done, the box will emerge forthwith.

That's worth holding up the set for! :)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck

I wonder if they'll have participation from anyone else, like Bert Schneider, and some of the cast, Jack Nicholson, The Monkees, Bruce Dern, Tuesday Weld, etc.
That would be nice.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
In today's Hollywood Reporter, there's this disturbing news. Sony is laying off 450 people (about 7%) with this statement: "Our industry is affected by two things. The economy, of course, and it's affected by technology. Over the last two years, it's affected people's DVD buying habits which has had a huge affect on our company and the industry at large" and the vague statement "Sony officials suggested an increased emphasis on digital distribution strategies will allow a less labor intensive approach to home entertainment releasing". Can someone translate that last statement into English for me?

I hope it doesn't affect Sony's planned Rita Hayworth set and Film Noir Vol. 2 sets but if the Warners and Universal MOD programs haven't already clued us in, this seems the last hurrah for the DVD era.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Thomas T In today's Hollywood Reporter, there's this disturbing news. Sony is laying off 450 people (about 7%) with this statement: "Our industry is affected by two things. The economy, of course, and it's affected by technology. Over the last two years, it's affected people's DVD buying habits which has had a huge affect on our company and the industry at large" and the vague statement "Sony officials suggested an increased emphasis on digital distribution strategies will allow a less labor intensive approach to home entertainment releasing". Can someone translate that last statement into English for me? I hope it doesn't affect Sony's planned Rita Hayworth set and Film Noir Vol. 2 sets but if the Warners and Universal MOD programs haven't already clued us in, this seems the last hurrah for the DVD era.
Below is an excerpt from memo sent out to studio employees. The translation is clear - From: Michael Lynton and Amy Pascal Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 2:58 PM Subject: Transforming the Studio "In several stages, we will have a workforce reduction, with most of the notifications taking place by the first week in March. It will affect each of the studio’s divisions, with the majority occurring in home entertainment and IT, and in the United States." Not very good news.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
All these cuts mean,no matter how large, is each Department is streamlined.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks