What's new

Sony Archive MOD (1 Viewer)

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
From ClassicFlix.com...
Sony has announced four more from their Columbia Classic line for release on July 9th.

Headlining this latest wave is Uranium Boom (1956) starring Dennis Morgan, Patricia Medina and William Talman and the 1950 Western-Comedy The Traveling Saleswoman starring Joan Davis, Andy Devine and featuring Adele Jergens and Joe Sawyer.

Also out are:

[*]Teenage Crime Wave (1955) - Tommy Cook, Molly McCart
[*]The Tijuana Story (1957) - Rodolfo Acosta, James Darren, Jean Willes
[/list]

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
The Traveling Saleswoman and The Tijuana Story are already available on the Warner Archive website.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
still hoping for all the young men and paratrooper both of which are alan ladd classics imho.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
WBShop.com is offering a rather good sale on Sony titles. While the advertised 15% off isn't much, there is a second overlapping discount that takes of $5 for every $25 order. In other words, each order of 2 Sony discs comes to $25.52 with free shipping, or $12.76 per title when ordering 2 at a time.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It calculates automatically in the cart and during checkout. I've only tried it with WBShop's Sony Classics titles.

Edit: I checked again and the following will show up when the site calculates order total:

Father's Day: $5 Off $25 DVD/Blu-ray Disc ($5.00)

Looks like it might be site-wide, not just Archive items.

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
I've got bad news on the transfer of Full of Life (1956) directed by Richard Quine.

The image is very sharp and in the correct aspect ratio (the ratio looked right to me). The sound is also top notch, but the image jitters in pans and when there's movement in the picture. It's very distracting.

What I mean to say is that the picture doesn't flow naturally as it should.
I tried to set motionflow to high on my Sony TV, but that didn't help much.

The movie itself was just OK, but I'm very disappionted in the quality of this disc.
I didn't think Sony made any faults like this.

moviefanatic, Norway

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
moviefanatic1979 said:
I've got bad news on the transfer of Full of Life (1956) directed by Richard Quine.

The image is very sharp and in the correct aspect ratio (the ratio looked right to me). The sound is also top notch, but the image jitters in pans and when there's movement in the picture. It's very distracting.

What I mean to say is that the picture doesn't flow naturally as it should.
I tried to set motionflow to high on my Sony TV, but that didn't help much.

The movie itself was just OK, but I'm very disappionted in the quality of this disc.
I didn't think Sony made any faults like this.

moviefanatic, Norway
That same defect is present in my discs of DUEL ON THE MISSISSIPPI and APPOINTMENT IN BERLIN. I believe it has something to do with an incorrect setting during the disc replication, as the original mastering was done properly.

I bought my defective discs earlier in the year. I'm sorry to see they're still having this problem, if only intermittently.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Titles on September 3:

The Family Secret (1951)
Vampire Bats (2005)
13 Frightened Girls (1963) ** Available in The William Castle Film Collection
Have Rocket, Will Travel (1959) ** Available in The Three Stooge - Ultimate Collection
Homicidal (1961) ** Available separately and in The William Castle Film Collection
Rockin' in the Rockies (1945) ** Available in The Three Stooge - Ultimate Collection
Walk on the Wild Side (1962) ** Available separately
The Werewolf (1956) ** Available in Sam Katzman: Icons of Horror Collection

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Doug Bull said:
Still waiting hopefully for "You Can't Run Away From It" with Jack Lemmon to get a Sony Archives (Widescreen) mod release.
Of the numerous Columbia titles Sony Archives has yet to release, You Can't Run Away From It remains one of my most wanted titles. Granted, it doesn't compare to its predecessor (It Happened One Night), but the June Allyson-Jack Lemmon comedy is a small gem that deserves rediscovery.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
19ithadtobeyou (COL).jpg

And.... I'm STILL waiting for It Had to Be You with Ginger Rogers and Cornel Wilde--- ANOTHER small gem that deserves rediscovery.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I have an enormous list of titles I'm still waiting for. Every month I end up disappointed. Someone used to maintain a Sony/Columbia Wishlist thread to keep track of them all, but sadly it hasn't been updated in years now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Justin Ray said:
Of the numerous Columbia titles Sony Archives has yet to release, You Can't Run Away From It remains one of my most wanted titles. Granted, it doesn't compare to its predecessor (It Happened One Night), but the June Allyson-Jack Lemmon comedy is a small gem that deserves rediscovery.
I've only seen it on TV (many years ago during the pan and scan era). I don't remember liking the songs much, but I'd love to see it in widescreen to give it the best chance. I do like the leads.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I purchased the Soundtrack LP before I saw and enjoyed the Cinemascope film in the Cinema, so I guess I had already become familiar with the songs.

My old LP has been played many times over the years, so a nice Stereo 16:9 DVD from Sony would be sensational.

ycrafromit2.jpg

For those interested: Side 2 of this LP contains Music from "The Eddie Duchin Story", "On The Waterfront" and "From Here To Eternity"

Love the old royalties stamp for 2 Shillings, 3 pennies and a half pence. :)

Doug.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks