What's new

Shows That Will Never Be Released (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
OMG!I LOVE HARDCORE TV.That was what we watched before Mr. Show came out as kids, taped them on VHS and watched them endlessly. The episodes (last I looked) were in full on YouTube - go check em out!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
AndyMcKinney said:
I would put It's a Living/Making a Living in the same boat. It struggled on ABC, was reborn in syndication, but is probably mostly-forgotten now. Since one of the characters was a lounge musician, there might be music rights issues there, too.
Yeah, I don't think so either. I'd love to see it again for sure as it was certainly a show I enjoyed so many years ago.
Heck I'd even love to see it on tv again(Antenna TV?).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
For foreign TV, it's highly unlikely that anything made by former British ITV programmer TVS (Television South, the forerunner to Southern Television) will ever get distributed again, because all the paperwork relating to the TVS archive was thrown out years ago, so current rights-holder Disney (who only own it by default anyway) can't license anything, even if they wanted to.

Several Doctor Who and Blakes 7 fans would have loved a DVD release of TVS series Knights of God (as it starred Patrick Troughton and Gareth Thomas), but due to the missing paperwork, it can't be licenced.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
AndyMcKinney said:
here's some I think will never get released:

Cliff Hangers! (1979, NBC). As much as I'd like to be proved wrong, I sincerely doubt this will ever come out, unless the same folks from Australia who put out Darkroom are willing to take a chance.
Andy:

I would love to see this show released too, but I agree with you that it is truly a long shot at best.

Darby

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Based on its history and treatment by AMC I'm never expecting to see Remember WENN receive a DVD release. It was reportedly slated for a fifth season, but was cancelled when new management took over AMC. That was way back when they first started putting commercials between programs and began driving the channel into the ground. At only 56 episodes it should be an easy release and possible seller as it *did* air on CBS for a while so got larger exposure than a cable only channel.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i have a felling we will never see the final season of black sheep quadron. as for unreleased shows garrison's gorrilla's and twelve o'clock high still have to show up on dvd format.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
derosa said:
A proper WKRP in Cincinnati will never be released.
I wonder how much it'd cost to do this uncut say available to purchase only online through Fox, as a manufactured-by-order or limited release, I know it'd be expensive no doubt but at least it'd be something for the hardcore fans as a possibility. Dreams, you know.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
HenryDuBrow said:
I wonder how much it'd cost to do this uncut say available to purchase only online through Fox, as a manufactured-by-order or limited release, I know it'd be expensive no doubt but at least it'd be something for the hardcore fans as a possibility. Dreams, you know.
As others have said, it's a music rights nightmare. As much demand as there has been for WKRP, they would have did it already if it were viable.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont know anything about the show, but if it was that popular, i think it will eventually come out.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
the music rights issues remind me of a bunch of vultures fighting over a rat.

they peck and claw at each other, make all sorts of noises.

and they finally realize that no bird is getting the rat.

they finally wise up, lay their egos to rest, and walk away with something.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I doubt that The Hot L Baltimore will get released. While I would love to see it again, it only lasted one season so the chances are pretty slim.

I would also have to include Get Christie Love in this category. While I would buy both Hot L Baltimore and Get Christie Love in a heartbeat if offered. Even MOD.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Isn't if funny that most so really covet "older " programming than what's currently on? We're the shows really that we'll done? Or is it nostalgia? Maybe we missed an episode due to having to go to church or something? And this is our way of filling in that hole?Any thoughts?Or maybe television really was that good before VCR's?James

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
JamesSmith said:
Isn't if funny that most so really covet "older " programming than what's currently on? We're the shows really that we'll done? Or is it nostalgia?Any thoughts?
Before 2011, I would have thought older programming was better than what is currently on. But after going on a huge buying binge of tv season dvd sets over 2011 and 2012, I've come to the realization a lot of older stuff was outright cheesy and/or no better produced than current tv shows.

In my particular case, I think I was also concurrently going through a "midlife crisis" over the last few years, and pining for pop culture stuff from my youth. Watching these old tv shows again through the eyes of a middle aged adult, I was wondering how exactly I was fascinated by such tv shows when I was a kid or teenager. (ie. TV shows like Magnum PI, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, Miami Vice, The A-Team, MacGyver, The Incredible Hulk, Charlie's Angels, Rockford Files, Bionic Woman, Airwolf, the original Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, etc ...).

I strongly suspect nostalgia is the primary motivation, than the production values, writing quality, fx, casting, etc ...

TV shows which were on after I finished college, seem to have no emotional attachment nor any nostalgia value for me. Even shows that were better produced and had similar themes/stories to many 80's and 70's shows.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
jcroy said:
I strongly suspect nostalgia is the primary motivation, than the production values, writing quality, fx, casting, etc ...
Sure and I think just plain old personal preference plays a part too. Whether it's TV or movies or music, there's an era for many people that just feels 'right' over newer stuff.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Brian Himes said:
I doubt that The Hot L Baltimore will get released. While I would love to see it again, it only lasted one season so the chances are pretty slim.

I would also have to include Get Christie Love in this category. While I would buy both Hot L Baltimore and Get Christie Love in a heartbeat if offered. Even MOD.
I agree with you about Hot L (one I'd forgotten to mention. I knew there'd be a few I'd forget, like that and No Soap Radio and, I'm sure, many others).

As for Christy Love, at least the pilot movie was released. It's still available if you don't have it yet (and it's quite cheap, about $5.00).

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Nostalgia plays a part in my collecting. It seems a lot of the older shows have higher quality then the newer shows, but that's just my opinion. The favorite thing for me on watching TV Shows and Movies on home video is the fact I don't have to cope with the massive amounts of advertisements that one has to cope with when watching "Appointment" TV. When I watch a show, nobody butts in to hawk something I'm not interested in, and nothing comes up on the screen to obscure something I'm trying to watch. I adopted this method of watching TV in the fall of 2006, and I don't see myself returning to watching something "live" anytime soon. The number of DVDs I've purchased has declined considerably this past year, but that's because I've bought most of the shows I want to watch. My collection has swelled to the point where it might just outlast me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks