What's new

Shows That Will Never Be Released (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm beginning to wonder if the Gilligan's Island movies will see a decent release that goes back to the original film elements. I mean if "The Return of the Beverly Hillbillies" can get on DVD (it was stupid and I'm an avowed fan as everyone knows) why not the Gilligan films?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
AndyMcKinney said:
As for Christy Love, at least the pilot movie was released. It's still available if you don't have it yet (and it's quite cheap, about $5.00).
Yes, I do have the pilot movie. I do know that there are at least 4 episodes floating around the trading circuit. I've seen them for sale, but I've never bought them.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
HenryDuBrow said:
I wonder how much it'd cost to do this uncut say available to purchase only online through Fox, as a manufactured-by-order or limited release, I know it'd be expensive no doubt but at least it'd be something for the hardcore fans as a possibility. Dreams, you know.
The only one that could come close to doing WKRP is Time-Life, They have the deep pockets and they could clear the music as they did wit CHINA-BEACH. Come to think of it,they could do WONDER YEARS as well.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
DeWilson said:
The only one that could come close to doing WKRP is Time-Life, They have the deep pockets and they could clear the music as they did wit CHINA-BEACH. Come to think of it,they could do WONDER YEARS as well.
I believe that both series and possible Time-Life releasing them has been discussed. While I do believe that Time-Life could certainly get most of the music for these series cleared, I'm not sure how interested they are in these shows.

Plus, Fox owns both shows and they have been notoriously difficult to deal with when it comes to licensing.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I've lost track of a lot of what they've done over the years, but has Time-Life ever licensed any Fox series in the past for this sort of special 'complete series' venue, or would that be an entirely new situation for them?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Here are a few others from the 70's that I feel will never get released.

The Betty White Show (77-78) - This is part of the MTM Library and Fox has it. Considering Fox's track record with MTM shows the chances of ever seeing this is pretty slim.

Phyliss (75-77) - see above

Makin' It (79) - One season wonder that I believe Paramount owns. Since this show is considered one of the worst to ever air on TV, the chances are not good that it will ever be released. I would love to see it again since I did watch it when it was originally on.

Cher (75-76) - The music licensing is stopping this one from even being released in a 'Best of' collection. Would buy it in a heart beat if offered. Considering how popular Cher is, why no attempt at this one is a mystery.

The Jacksons (76-77) - again music licensing. Would buy it if offered. Just about as fast as I would buy Cher. Considedring that Michael is no longer with us, I would have thought at least a 'Best of' would have been released by now.

Lou Grant (77-82) - see The Betty White Show above

A few other one season wonders that I would buy but feel that they have little to no chance of being released are:

The Amazing Spider Man (78) - really cheesy and bad. Bring this one on. I couldn't hit the 'Buy It' button fast enough.
Bob, Carol, Ted & Alice (73) - probably too long forgotten to be of any interest to anyone but the most avid collectors
The Fantastic Journey (77) - this one has a huge cult following so it is possible it might come out, but I seriously doubt it.
James At 15 (77-78) - probably too long forgotten to be of any interest to anyone but the most avid collectors
Lucan (77-78) - man raised by wolves. Kind of bad from what I remember but it was great fun when I was a kid.
On The Rocks (75) - amazingly bad sitcom about being in prison. Would love it just for it's awfulness.
Paper Moon (74-75) - probably too long forgotten to be of any interest to anyone but the most avid collectors
The Paul Lynde Show (72-73) - Love Paul and would love to revisit this one.
Salvage 1 (79) - love this one and with the recent death of Andy Griffith, this one should get a release but it's doubtful.
Shields & Yarnell (77-78) - music, music, music
The Sonny Comedy Revue (74) - music, music, music
The Starland Vocal Band Show (77) - music, music, music
The Swiss Family Robinson (75-76) - not sure why this one hasn't been released. Martin Milner, Willie Ames, Helen Hunt. Enough said.

Here are a few longer running series that I don't feel will ever be released but I would buy them if they were:

Angie (79-80) - this one is still MIA and I can't figure out why.
Carter Country (77-79) - really bad show. This one is so rotten that I have to have it. So 70's.
Movin’ On (74-76) - Trucker series that cashed in on the CB craze. Kind of fun. Would love to revist it.
Nanny & The Professor (70-71) - a classic from the early 70's that should have been released years ago.
Operation Petticoat (77-79) - Stars a young Jamie Lee Curtis. Loved this show when it was on.
The Ropers (79-80) - not as bad as everyone thinks. The next door neighbor is rather annoying but the show does have its moments.
Temperatures Rising (72-74) - This one was changed so much (three casts, two formats) would love to watch it sink.
The Tony Randall Show (76-78) - this one might see a release but it's not looking good.
240 Robert (79-81) - young Mark Harmon, John Bennet Perry (Mattew Perry's Father), Joanna Cassidy. Love this one as a kid. Probably too long forgotten to be of any interest.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
I've lost track of a lot of what they've done over the years, but has Time-Life ever licensed any Fox series in the past for this sort of special 'complete series' venue, or would that be an entirely new situation for them?
Sadly, I don't recall any Fox series ever released by Time-Life.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Brian Himes said:

The Betty White Show (77-78) - This is part of the MTM Library and Fox has it. Considering Fox's track record with MTM shows the chances of ver seeing this is pretty slim.

Phyliss (75-77) - see above

Makin' It (79) - One season wonder that I believe Paramount owns. Since this show is considered one of the worst to ever air on TV, the chances are not goot that it will ever be released. I would love to see it again since I did watch it when it was originally on.

Cher (75-76) - The music licensing is stopping this one from even being released in a 'Best of' collection. Would buy it in a heart beat if offered. Considering how popular Cher is, why no attempt at this one is a mystery.

The Jacksons (76-77) - again music licensing. Would buy it if offered. Just about as fast as I would buy Cher. Considedring that Michael is no longer with us, I would have thought at least a 'Best of' would have been released by now.

Lou Grant (77-82) - see The Betty White Show above

A few other one season wonders that I would buy but feel that they have little to no chance of being released are:

The Amazing Spider Man (78) - really cheesy and bad. Bring this one on. I couldn't hit the 'Buy It' button fast enough.
Bob, Carol, Ted & Alice (73) - probably too long forgotten to be of any interest to anyone but the most avid collectors
The Fantastic Journey (77) - this one has a huge cult following so it is possible it might come out, but I seriously doubt it.
James At 15 (77-78) - probably too long forgotten to be of any interest to anyone but the most avid collectors
Lucan (77-78) - man raised by wolves. Kind of bad from what I remember but it was great fun when I was a kid.
On The Rocks (75) - amazingly bad sitcom about being in prison. Would love it just for it's awfulness.
Paper Moon (74-75) - probably too long forgotten to be of any interest to anyone but the most avid collectors
The Paul Lynde Show (72-73) - Love Paul and would love to revisit this one.
Salvage 1 (79) - love this one and with the recent death of Andy Griffith, this one should get a release but it's doubtful.
Shields & Yarnell (77-78) - music, music, music
The Sonny Comedy Revue (74) - music, music, music
The Starland Vocal Band Show (77) - music, music, music
The Swiss Family Robinson (75-76) - not sure why this one hasn't been released. Martin Milner, Willie Ames, Helen Hunt. Enough said.

Here are a few longer running series that I don't feel will ever be released but I would buy them if they were:

Angie (79-80) - this one is still MIA and I can't figure out why.
Carter Country (77-79) - really bad show. This one is so rotten that I have to have it. So 70's.
Movin’ On (74-76) - Trucker series that cashed in on the CB craze. Kind of fun. Would love to revist it.
Nanny & The Professor (70-71) - a classic from the early 70's that should have been released years ago.
Operation Petticoat (77-79) - Stars a young Jamie Lee Curtis. Loved this show when it was on.
The Ropers (79-80) - not as bad as everyone thinks. The next door neighbor is rather annoying but the show does have its moments.
Temperatures Rising (72-74) - This one was changed so much (three casts, two formats) would love to watch it sink.
The Tony Randall Show (76-78) - this one might see a release but it's not looking good.
240 Robert (79-81) - young Mark Harmon, John Bennet Perry (Mattew Perry's Father), Joanna Cassidy. Love this one as a kid. Probably too long forgotten to be of any interest.

I think you are right on just about all of the sitcoms you listed. As I said before, the distributors track record for releasing 1 season sitcoms from the 50's -80's is very poor. I may be wrong on this bacause It's right off the top of my head without researching adequately but, save any public domain junk releases, I can't think of any one season sitcoms from the 50's released, only 2 from the 60's (Gidget and Good Morning World), 1 from the 70's (When Things Were Rotten), and I can't come up with any from the 80's (I'm sure there are probably a small handful). Their record with 2 season sitcoms isn't that much better. Bottom line is I wouldn't hold your breath on most of these (and others of that genre.)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Brian Himes said:

Warner Archive Instant just made LUCAN available for streaming a week or so ago; while nothing is a guarantee, I wouldn't be surprised if it became available in a MOD set from Warner Archive sooner or later, especially since it was a short-run series, and whatever work needed to be done with the source material would've already been completed so that it'd be up-to-par for their shiny new streaming service.

Also, I have a feeling that most sci-fi/fantasy series, even the short-lived and forgotten ones, have a much better shot at getting an eventual disc release (if only just MOD), at some point, than most of the sitcoms and dramas, thanks to the rise of geek culture (ComiCon, a lot of Hollywood's main output, etc), and its prominence in our pop culture society these days. I bet FANTASTIC JOURNEY or SALVAGE I has a far better chance at some kind of release than, say, TEMPERATURES RISING or MAKIN' IT.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
With 4 theatrical SPIDER-MAN movies, i was surprised the TV Series/TV Movies never got a release.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Saturday Night Live" may have gotten a DVD release, but only the first 5 seasons. There are many, myself included, who have been waiting for further season releases. I know that I would purchase all the 80s seasons, mainly because they were the first ones I was exposed to in Comedy Central reruns in the 90s. Many others would, also...I bought this up on Shout! Factory's Facebook page...They said they'd think about it. I don't know if they will, though. I even suggested that if they were worried that seasons 6-10 wouldn't sell, they could do those as an online exclusive. The Netflix and Hulu (and soon to be Yahoo) prints are hacked up...Original prints would do well.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I'm especially interested in the music of seasons 6-10. I can still recall seeing Sparks performing "Mickey Mouse" in a Comedy Central rerun in the 90s, and I was astounded by it.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
See I don't ever watch the music parts of SNL and I just want all the sketches. I'd buy every season they put out as I got all 5 of the released sets on day one.My boss directed 2 episodes of Lucan so I'll have to let him know it's on streaming!Update: I just called him and he basically said "Jeez, why would anyone ever want to see that piece of shit again" LOL

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Two shows I remember as a kid and liked that will probably never be seen again:Goodnight, Beantown with Bill Bixby
She's The Sheriff with Suzanne Sommers

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Brian Himes said:
Yes, I do have the pilot movie. I do know that there are at least 4 episodes floating around the trading circuit. I've seen them for sale, but I've never bought them.
The show shouldn't be that rare. It ran on USA network in the 80s so I'm sure there are plenty of people who taped it then.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Neil Brock said:
The show shouldn't be that rare. It ran on USA network in the 80s so I'm sure there are plenty of people who taped it then.
Well, I've only seen collectors offering 4 episodes so if people did tape it, they either didn't keep their copies or they are not offering them for sale or trade.

Granted, I haven't looked for the series in a while so more episodes may have turned up by now.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Most shows which ran for one season or less will never be released. While one can NEVER SAY NEVER, its highly unlikely. Of course there are some exceptions, as there are to anything (Gidget, Bridget Loves Bernie, etc.) but 99% of those shows from the 50s, 60s and 70s will never come out or be available again in any form, other than 16mm film prints. Short-run spring tryout series, which are traditionally 4 to 6 episodes will never come out. Anything old that's owned by Fox will never come out. That's one I'm confident in. Most anthology shows, live or filmed. The clearance work that has to be done is massive and time-consuming. And, unless its a genre show, like Twilight Zone, etc., there isn't much of a market for them.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Neil Brock said:
Most shows which ran for one season or less will never be released. While one can NEVER SAY NEVER, its highly unlikely. Of course there are some exceptions, as there are to anything (Gidget, Bridget Loves Bernie, etc.) but 99% of those shows from the 50s, 60s and 70s will never come out or be available again in any form, other than 16mm film prints. Short-run spring tryout series, which are traditionally 4 to 6 episodes will never come out. Anything old that's owned by Fox will never come out. That's one I'm confident in. Most anthology shows, live or filmed. The clearance work that has to be done is massive and time-consuming. And, unless its a genre show, like Twilight Zone, etc., there isn't much of a market for them.
I agree with Neil completely. I was kind of being facetious with Holmes and YoYo and the like, but let's face it, there is very little market for these types of shows. Certainly not enough potential profit for an independant distributor to license and restore this stuff. My advice is dust off the 35mm projector and see em that way, because that's probably the only venue you will have. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks