What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, my thinking is if one wants this book, it would behoove one to order one now while you can! There's a kind of iffy vibe to it to me. Call me paranoid. But I truly hope the publisher has a smash hit on their hands and they will print many copies of the first volume and be in fantastic shape to print the other two volumes. An all in one package of all three volumes is certainly a possibility that the publisher could make as a gift pack. That would be a nice $120 set! I told a couple of Trek fan friends about the book, The Book. One said he heard about it. The other had not. So I hope the word gets around. Lee, is that line about the shirts in a box from The Odd Couple? For some reason, its not fully engaging in my crumbling memory.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nelson Au said:
Lee, is that line about the shirts in a box from The Odd Couple? For some reason, its not fully engaging in my crumbling memory.
Yes, it's from The Insomniacs when Felix is outlining everything that went wrong with his week to determine why he can't sleep.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee. Oh, the one where Felix is not wearing his old watch and missed the ticking. I'll have to watch that one! :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
:) Like Lewis and Gwynne, what a great pairing of actors in signature roles!I didn't mean to come on so strong earlier about my concerns on the publisher of the Cushman "These Are The Voyages" book. I really hope this is a hit! The I, Spy book I see is still available, so that's a good sign. I've seen two reviews on very small websites so far. Perhaps more press will follow.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good news, I got an email back from Jacobs Brown and they accommodated me and placed the book in a box. They said they normally ship in a padded envelope. Hmmm, I hope they added padding inside the box. It shipped today! Back to the question, I was double checking answers that I might have already given. One was Beta Aurigae, and that one was already posted. And then I accidentally saw that Theta VII was a planet that needed medical supplies the Enterprise had that the Yorktown was to rendezvous with the Enterprise to collect. That was from Obsession, but perhaps it wasn't an answer since you said Lee, that the last two are from the first and third season.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Theta VII would absolutely count. I simply neglected to add it to the list. By the way, when we finally finish this dreadful question I instigated, I will go back and gather all the answers and at least we will have a nice comprehensive list to examine.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee for clarifying Theta VII. Funny, in the Next Generation, the Enterprise visits Theta VIII in the episode, The Royale. An episode that I never liked, but has since grown on me because it sort of has a TOS flavor to it and how it's resolved. I was hoping you might make a list of all the planets when this is over! :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sorry if I didn't respond to it. Triacus would, I think, be in our Research Outpost category like Gamma Hydra IV and M-113.The last planet on my list is mentioned (more than once), but not visited, in a third season episode.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I realize we have reached a new plateau with the six-actor episode sighting, but I did happen on a five last night. I watched a Police Story episode featuring Kathie Browne, Leslie Parrish, John Fiedler, Garry Walberg, and Barry Atwater. Walberg was the last to appear and, once he did, I could hardly pay attention to the rest of the show hoping that a sixth Trek actor would materialize.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Walberg was the last to appear and, once he did, I could hardly pay attention to the rest of the show hoping that a sixth Trek actor would materialize."Lee,You have no idea how much I can relate to that. Oh wait -- yes you do! Nice sighting. :) And I know that you and I both believe that there is a 'sevener' out there somewhere. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Walberg in my mind made three indulable characters, Commander Hanson, Speed on the Odd Couple and the cop in Quincy MD. The amazing thing is he's almost unrecognizable in each role! I'm slowly inching through the TATV book. I'm so tired after work, I'm not making fast progress! Spoiler alert: So far I got past the point where the Desilu execs tried to tell Lucy that Mission Impossible and Star Trek will be too expensive and Lucy green lit both projects anyway. You were right Lee. If she didn't foot the bill, we wouldn't be talking right now! :)I really do hope more fans discover the book. It's pretty amazing. BTW, I asked if they would release an iBooks version and was told a version for Kindle is coming. I prefer the iPad, so well see!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Oh, I believe, Scott. There is a seven out there...somewhere.That's what was so interesting to me about Lucy's involvement, Nelson. On two separate occasions, most of her advisors recommended she pull the plug on Star Trek (and Mission) and, even though she didn't fully understand either premise, she liked the idea of being artistically daring. There's a similar story about Roy Huggins pitching The Fugitive at ABC and every executive hating the idea except for Leonard Goldenson, the president, who ignored all of them and bought it.I love Garry Walberg. Perfect example of an actor who could always do a lot with a little, and a real professional who could move easily between drama and comedy, even in the same part.Yes, he mentioned a Kindle version to me too. Can't you use the Kindle app on the iPad to read it that way?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lucy is the furthest thing you'd think of when Star Trek comes to mind, so it is pretty cool she was so good to Star Trek and Mission. I'll dig into the book more tonight!

Yeah, there is a Kindle app for the iPad. I am hoping a native iBooks version might follow. Seems it would be so appropriate to be able to read a book about Star Trek on a tablet.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Thanks, you guys, for mentioning the book, I hadn't heard about it until this thread, but ordered it immediately. My copy came yesterday, and I stayed up much too late reading last night. In a way, it is almost TMI for me; so many things that have become iconic if not legendary were borne of "duct tape" fixes. A tribute to all the talent concerned but somehow disconcerting. I find some of the complaints from various parties about Roddenberry maddening, after all, without him there would have been no Star Trek at all.

I don't mean to sound negative about the book, it is fantastic, and the back stage info is fascinating. It is also interesting to read about the ratings. I hadn't thought about it, but I am not surprised how high the ratings were for the CBS movie. It is easy to forget that there was a time when you couldn't just go down to the nearest Redbox and get any movie you wanted, you had to wait for them to show up on TV. I know my family never missed "My Fair Lady", shown in two nights, because it was such an "event". I am wondering now if we ever skipped Star Trek for a movie; I know we never skipped it for Bewitched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nielmb
    Recent bookmarks