What's new

Rogers HD worth keeping? (1 Viewer)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I'm not sure if I'm being too critical but in the month I've had Rogers HD, the best stuff I've seen has been on PBS. There have been a few movies, Armageddon which was cropped, and very little sports.

The NCAA games on CBS Saturday seem to be a hit or miss. NBC has Ed and not the West Wing in HD. Fox rarely shows anything in widescreen 480p. Nothing is in 5.1 even pay per view movies.

Is this the way it is for others with HD service or am I just paying $20 extra for great looking PBS?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
Well, If I want HDTV at all I have no choice but Rogers where I live. You're right about the PBS stuff specially the travel shows. HD is such eye candy that I wouldn't want to give it up. We can only hope for a gathering momentum in HD programming in the near future. It'll also be great when HD DVD finally arrives.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I have it, and while I don't watch much with it, I wouldn't give it up. I can watch maybe a few hours a week on the HD channels. A bit of true HD, a bit of FOX pretend HD (which works for me as I get the proper aspect ratios and 480p where available - Firefly comes to mind), and the rest as upconverted SDTV (which still looks better than actual SDTV). I guess if the price/performance isn't working for you, you should give it up.

Best of luck,
Martin.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
What is it that they show there? Do they show all the US networks? Because if so, CBS and ABC have their entire prime time lineup in HD, NBC about half of theirs and growing, PBS-HD, and most of FOX' primetime in 480p. College Football on Saturdays, and the NFL playoffs, NBA and NHL Finals, and Monday Night Football next season. Even WB has some HD shows this year. What is it that you guys want to watch?

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I would like more sports in HD. Football today had no HD. Toy Story 2 is a good start. Does anyone know if the West Wing is supposed to be HD? They show it letterboxed in sdtv.

What I really want is some 5.1. For example Toy Story 2 may look great but I don't want it in stereo...

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
My decoder says it's 5.1. However every show on ABC has "5.1" except it only comes out of the left and right speakers. I have read on another forum that I'm not the only one. The rest of the channels are DD and the decoder goes into pro-logic mode. This problem could possibly be with Rogers. Does anyone know if this is the case?

BobV

Second Unit
I watched Toy Story 2 tonight on Star Choice ABC HD and it was in full DD 5.1. It was a bit quieter than the DVD but it still maintained the clarity and separation of the DVD in my opinion (I synced up the DVD a few times to compare).

I should mention that Star Choice gets it's ABC from Detroit, the same source as Roger's I believe.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Rogers musn't be passing it properly or my box is broken. Can any other Rogers customers get 5.1 on any of the HD channels?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to wait a couple of more weeks.

BTW does anyone know if any NFL games are in HD other than playoffs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks