What's new

Netflix HBO Max General HD vs. 4K Streaming Quality (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hi gang,

The vast majority of our streaming viewing is Netflix and HBO Max. I've been reluctant to pay extra for the 4K tiers, but the HD PQ is starting to get to me. (I have a sneaking suspicion that the streaming quality has gone down over time, although I can't actually prove that. :) ) Dark scenes look AWFUL, and scene cuts to/from bright images that look much better just make the problem stand out more.

So, for those who've spent some time comparing the two, does the 4K stream look significantly better than the HD stream? Is it worth paying a few bucks extra? I hate to encourage this nickel & dime-ing, but at this point, I'm sorely tempted.

Incidentally, we also have no-ads Disney+ and with-ads Hulu, which don't charge extra (yet) for 4K, and middle-tier Peacock (included free with an Xfinity bundle), which I *think* is in 4K. Naturally, we don't watch them nearly as much as the services that do charge extra. Sigh. . .

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your internet speed will be important. What is it, and have you actually tested it? The streaming device will be important as well.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My connection speed is fine, although I think my Roku stick might be deteriorating -- lately, it's started resetting itself to HD because "my device is capable of 4K at 30fps (not recommended)." I can manually re-set it to 4K HDR, which seems to work fine for a day or so until it resets itself again.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
And the platform itself makes a difference. iTunes, Disney+ and Netflix all have much better picture quality than say Criterion or Shudder.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
As @JohnRice and @Worth are indirectly illustrating, there are just too many variables in play for a definitive answer, but the weak link here does appear to be your Firestick so I'd recommend replacing that before changing anything else.

Having tried both Netflix tiers however, I can tell you the difference was quite noticeable [with suitable source material] on my 135" screen but, as with most things, all 4K is not created equal. I say "was" because I ended up going back to HD quality as I was more interested in the audio experience and didn't feel it was enough to matter, especially with the type of material I use Netflix for.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, a TON of variables, so a simple, meaningful answer just isn't possible. Which is why I tend to ask more questions in an effort to provide constructive help.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would probably pay the extra few bucks myself if I actually used NF all that often, but I really don't and woulda just completely cut it to be reactivated just a couple months a year if up to me, but I keep it (w/out 4K) mainly for the family instead (and they don't care about 4K, etc).

I have too much other stuff and almost never touch NF at all... though that could possibly change if I start cutting Max, Paramount+ and maybe even Disney+ (and Hulu) over the next few months as my various deals w/ those (might well) disappear -- will probably relegate most of them to just 1-2 months a year to binge on a small handful things. Heck, as is, I don't even get around to watching the tons of stuff that interest me on D+. :lol:

Still, I'm guessing I would probably only bump NF upto the 4K level for just a couple months a year, not year-round, even after cutting most everything else -- no plans/likelihood to cut The Criterion Channel at all though.

For stuff, especially feature-length movies, not exclusive to NF (or any other service), if I really care quite that much, I'd probably wanna own it (whether on digital or disc) anyway... and can usually just wait for whatever sale to make that affordable enough -- I have a nearly insurmountable backlog as it is, so I'm rarely in a hurry to buy anything (unless there's some brief, ridiculous bargain)... and often end up catching up on stuff leaving streaming services anyway, especially The Criterion Channel (even though their streaming quality is on the low side)... :lol:

Heck, I just recently bought the complete series of Smallville in HD on iTunes for a mere $15(!) w/out any idea when I'd ever get around to watching any of that -- just could not pass that up, haha. :lol:

Anyhoo, I agree w/ others that the AppleTV 4K is very good at presenting HD streams, especially the better ones from Apple/iTunes, Vudu, et al, but also pretty good w/ the various other typically lower bitrate, subscription services -- yeah, I find The Criterion Channel tolerable enough... but then again, I'm generally watching stuff there that I probably don't wanna own or aren't readily available (at least inexpensively) on the other better or more mainstream platforms/services... :cool:

Maybe it makes most sense to just try it out for yourself for the extra few bucks for a month since the HD quality is bothering you... though I'd probably wanna upgrade from that Roku stick anyway, if I were you.

_Man_

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think your best bet - if you’re not on a prepaid yearlong plan that you can’t change - is to sign up for one month at the 4K tier and see with your own eyes what you’re getting. There’s so much variation between internet bandwidth, different services and even how different devices interpret that data that the best any of us can do is speculate.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks for all the tips! I should've been more specific up front: the PQ issue is mainly blocky, splotchy compression noise in dark images. The picture rarely ever stutters or glitches otherwise, and audio is fine. I've just been finding the crappy dark images more and more distracting lately.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Having tried both Netflix tiers however, I can tell you the difference was quite noticeable [with suitable source material] on my 135" screen but, as with most things, all 4K is not created equal. I say "was" because I ended up going back to HD quality as I was more interested in the audio experience and didn't feel it was enough to matter, especially with the type of material I use Netflix for.
I on the other hand went to the 4K tier in part for the better sound: to get Atmos.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for all the tips! I should've been more specific up front: the PQ issue is mainly blocky, splotchy compression noise in dark images. The picture rarely ever stutters or glitches otherwise, and audio is fine. I've just been finding the crappy dark images more and more distracting lately.
What is your display device?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I don’t know what issues are causing your poor streaming experience, but I can tell you that for me both HD and 4K streams are excellent quality with a 800+ Mbps service, Apple 4K TV box and Epson LS12000 Projector and I have no blocky, splotchy compression in dark scenes at all.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^I assume you meant 800Mbps, not actually kbps, hehheh.

Anyhoo, maybe he has black level set too bright (or in some kinda auto/dynamic mode)?

_Man_

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
UPDATE! I figured out the issue with my Roku resetting itself. . .we were watching a 4K movie on Disney+ and the PQ was AWFUL. After futzing with my TV settings, I thumbed through the manual for my Sony receiver. There, I discovered that each input can be set to "Normal" or "Enhanced" mode, and "enhanced" should only be used for 4K signals. For some reason, the HDMI input my Roku is plugged into was set to Normal. I switched it to Enhanced, and shazam! At least actual 4K content looks fine now. :) I guess the "my device is capable of 4K at 30fps (not recommended)" message referred to the receiver connection.

seditious3

Grip
Real Name
Scott
I understand what you say about HD quality on Netflix and HBO Max. I noticed that, too, especially with dark scenes looking bad. It's annoying when you want to watch a show, and the picture isn't good. And thinking about paying more for 4K was a headache.

So, I went with an IPTV service. It's affordable at 15 euros a month, or there's a yearly option for 99 euros. The cool thing is it includes HD, 4K, and UHD quality. This helped with my picture problems, especially in those darker scenes. It works on different devices so that I can watch stuff anywhere. Switching to this service made a big difference, getting better quality without paying too much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks