What's new
World Wide Stereo

Robust Streaming Device? (1 Viewer)

cranbone

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Crandall
Hey all. Firstly, thanks for this forum and site. I lurk around here quite a bit to get help.

Well, we're living the "cut the cord" lifestyle and, it ain't bad. Definitely a culture change. Worth it though.

Right now, I have both a Roku 2 XS and a LG BD470 Blu-ray player. They both go through a Pioneer VSX-30 amp, and from there to a Samsung "series 8000" Plasma. All connections use HDMI cables.

I like the amount of apps available on the Roku, however, the Blu Ray player seems to upscale video of all types. So, when streaming HD Video across my network, the LG looks better and seems a bit more stable, but the folder hierarchy model is all there is. The Roku has the Plex app which is great for cataloging and keeping track of shows watched, getting metadata, etc., but has trouble handling high-quality HD video files.

So finally to the question: is there a streaming device out there that I can plug into my gigabit network that can handle hi-quality hd video files (h.264 - mkv or mp4 usually), and also presents a high quality picture for Hulu or Betflix HD content, but also allows a user-friendly experience when browsing one's library of videos?

Roku's not bad at all for the Hulu/Netflix thing (Netflix does look a bit better on the LG though), it's just that pesky HD streaming from my library that it can't seem to handle good enough (...for me I suppose!).

BTW, my library is stored on a Seagate "BlackArmor" NAS. if that matters.

Thanks again, and apologies for the long-winded post. Hopefully I supplied enough info, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GAMark
Recent bookmarks