What's new

Network capable Blu-ray player VS. streaming device like Apple TV or Roku Ultra (1 Viewer)

erotavlas

Auditioning
Real Name
Sal
For my home theater setup I want to add the ability to watch video files, either downloaded movie files, home movies from smartphone or camera, and audio (music). I don't subscribe to any streaming service like netflix.

If I don't care at all about Blu-ray discs, should I still consider getting one of those new streaming Blu-ray players like the Sony UBP-X700 for the other features it has?

It seems like it does something similar to the Roku Ultra, except that you can also playback various disc formats like CD in case you want to listen to audio discs. And it also has a dedicated coaxial output for audio which is nice, and supports high res audio.

What do you guys think, is the blu-ray player (minus the blu-ray disc playability) better value than those dedicated streaming devices?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dedicated streamers are definitely better, especially in the long run. Of course, they can't play discs, but if your priority is streaming, definitely a dedicated streamer like Roku or AppleTV.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
A dedicated streamer sounds like your best bet. Also, consider that the apps on leading streaming boxes are much more actively curated and updated than those on a Blu-ray player. You're more likely to see new features and bug fixes pushed out to apps on an AppleTV 4K or a Roku than you will on a UBP-X700.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you don’t care about discs, you should not buy a disc player.

If you do care about streaming you should buy a (dedicated) streaming box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks