Restored SPARTACUS OCT 6. (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
GlennF said:
This is excellent! Not to long ago I tried to watch the current Blu-ray again, saying to myself, "It can't be that bad." Oh yes, it can!

Between the new blu of this, and the one for MY FAIR LADY, I will now have 2 old blus that I can use as drink coasters. They aren't good for much else!
Possibly they could carry water...

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Paul Rossen said:
Good news indeed. Besides the visual side of things I hope they treat the audio with respect as SPARTACUS has/had in 70mm a very,very robust sound design especially with regard to the Alex North score.

I really love classic (and not so classic) movie scores, and Alex North's creation for Spartacus, to me, is up with the very best of them. Sure wish Mr North had been given the Oscar for Spartacus, instead of it going to Ernest Gold, for Exodus. Have the Exodus score too, and it's pretty good, but IMHO, Spartacus seriously trumps it.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Cremildo said:
Well, some people will certainly die of a heart attack due to the happiness such news will bring them.

It was a long time coming.

Sure I've been waiting for this for years and it's one of my top 10 all-time movies, but such an exaggeration....uh...is hardly....neck hurts a little?....necessary. Concern over a Blu-slightly short of breath?...ray isn't some....cold sweat?.....thing that should....nauseous?...affect a reasonable...chest discomfort?....person so profoundly. Anyway I'll check back later for more info on specs and so forth.

By the way RH mentions "TLA" in his post.

Is that a restoration company or a type of restoration method?

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Mike Frezon said:
And I thought RAH was just speaking of his "True Love Always" for Spartacus...

Once again, I've been reminded why we film lovers are so grateful that there's a man named Robert A Harris who spent years developing his skills, followed then, by thousands of hours poring over small strips of film, often in cramped quarters, so that the lives of people like us could be enriched.

Mr Harris is a major reason why people don't hear me complaining about what many would see as my rather drab life. As is the case with many of my fellow HTF members, I get enjoyment just pondering how beautiful the images on the new Spartacus and My Fair Lady Blu-rays will look. And I'm sure I'll be walking on air all week, when each of these Blu-rays is released. I'm already asking people at gatherings of my wife's family, as well as friends, if they have seen Spartacus and My Fair Lady, because when those Blu-rays come out, it will be so much fun inviting people to our home theater and sharing the experience of 2 of my favorite films with folks who will be seeing them through new eyes. Wherever you are Mr Harris, thank you for giving people like me something to look forward to, and then, to be able to enjoy with others, hopefully, for a long time to come.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I agree with Mike. I love looking forward to things, & hate surprises. And knowing what's coming & posting about it & looking forward to it, well that's a way of getting maximum enjoyment out of a release, even when the wait is a wee bit frustrating.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Universal has had its share of complaints in the Blu-ray era, but this really shines a light on the difference between Universal and MGM.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
warnerbro said:
The Blu-ray release of this looked like an old VHS transfer being watched on a TV smeared with Vaseline.
You have got to be kidding.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
warnerbro said:
The Blu-ray release of this looked like an old VHS transfer being watched on a TV smeared with Vaseline.

But with one advantage over that, a viewing of the Spartacus blue, did not leave my screen feeling sticky.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
trajan said:
You have got to be kidding.

I think that he must have felt that we would assume that he was exercising some creative license through his use of a pretty gross amount of exaggeration. Anyhow, the thought of Vaseline smeared on my TV screen, really is pretty gross!

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Dr Griffin said:
Universal has had its share of complaints in the Blu-ray era, but this really shines a light on the difference between Universal and MGM.

You mean, as in, one believes in properly treating an epic it owns, that originated in 1960, while the other, simply doesn't.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
warnerbro said:
I get your point that you really don't like this transfer. Personally. I think it looks pretty damn good on a 46".

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
trajan said:
I get your point that you really don't like this transfer. Personally. I think it looks pretty damn good on a 46".

Yeah, could've and should've been done right, but it'll do until the new one arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks