What's new

Monk on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
The Digital Bits:

" And here’s a nice surprise: Kino Lorber Studio Classics is going to be releasing a TV title—Monk: Season One(2002)—on Blu-ray on 8/8, restored from new 4K scans of the original negatives!"

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Sarah Silverman's character isn't going to like that they went back to season one and replaced the guitar music with Randy Newman! I second that

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I've started my first re-watch of Monk, and recently watched S01 on the KL Blu-ray set. Great print; it's been years since I saw the show on DVD. The PQ is definitely better in HD & is worth the upgrade.

This is a great show; very clever & well-written, with solid casting. And, seeing the series in this era really hits differently. I.e., when I first started watching the show back in the 200X's, I'm sure many of us viewed Monk's "germaphobic" idiosyncrasies/precautions as funny & somewhat pathetic at times. In fact - that was where a lot of the humor of the show generated from. This is especially notable in the scenes when he's using an antiseptic wipe after shaking hands with people...which sometimes results in people being offended by this - LOL.

However, after re-watching the show in the post-COVID world that we now live in....you can see where Monk is coming from - to a certain extent.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just bought Kino Lorder’s Monk season 1 and 2 blu ray. I’ve never been able to watch this series before as I never had cable but I do remember when a few episodes aired back in 2002 or 2003 on network broadcast over-the-air and I liked what I saw then. It wasn’t until recently that I was re-introduced to Monk and watched a smattering of episodes that are airing on CoziTV and I really liked what I saw.

I watched the pilot episode last night on the Blu ray and it does look great in HD compared to the Cozi broadcasts. It was nice to see the pilot was filmed partly on location in San Francisco. its cool they retained the same actor over the episodes I’ve seen who plays Monk’s therapist.

I agree that in our post Pandemic world, some people can identify with Monk. I certainly do as I wasn’t willing to go out during the pandemic!

i look forward to getting into the series more. If the quality holds, I’ll likely be picking up more seasons and hope Kino will complete releasing the entire series.

edit: I forgot to mention two things, i read this was filmed in Super 16, so it is framed for widescreen, so I gather we are seeing the original aspect ratio?

And I read that the title theme music in the first season was a jazzy guitar piece that many people liked. But was replaced in the second season with a Randy Newman theme song. And The Newman song was used on the first season episodes for the home video releases. I am wondering if the end titles music is the original theme? I do like it. I read that Tony Shalhoub felt the Newman theme was very fitting to the show.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks