What's new

International Disney Exiting Physical Media in Australia (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Disney is not going to continue with physical media in Australia after the release of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. It was confirmed by the Digital Bits.

Why couldn’t Disney license their titles for physical media in Australia and Asia (another market they exited, minus Japan)? I can’t see a downside for them. They collect a license fee, and another, smaller company sells discs where they see a market.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They had been licensing in Australia - Random Space Media has been handling physical media for Disney, Sony and Universal down under. I would guess that they looked at the numbers and determined that the revenue generated wasn’t worth the effort it took to coordinate the effort.

Obviously not an ideal situation for our Australian physical media collecting friends but sadly I think we’re gonna see a lot more of this in the future. I keep thinking back to when Warner and Universal formed their domestic joint physical media company, SDS, and in their government filings establishing the company, cited the reason for forming it as no longer selling enough discs to justify each company having its own home video department, but that they hoped with the efficiencies gained and money saved from partnering, that perhaps physical media could be viable for ten more years. And I think that was four years ago. Sony is exiting some European markets. Criterion did a major round of layoffs last year. Kino Lorber said in a podcast interview recently that each year’s total number of discs sold for them is fewer than the last.

Each company is finding its way through this changing landscape but sadly this seems to be the direction gravity is pulling in.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I really hate to agree with Josh on this particular point because this is not something that anybody who posts here would want. But I think he is right.

I will continue to buy Blu-rays as long as I can, but there is no question that it continues to become more and more of a nice business. We don't like to think about this because physical media is our collective passion on this board, but it is a business. If Disney does not feel that the business model of releasing physical media will bring in more money than it costs for them to produce discs, then obviously they're not going to do that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The only reasonable path forward is to push for higher quality AV encodes available as digital, ala Uncompressed Atmos Music. The end of shiny plastic disks is happening faster than folks would like, but that doesn't mean it's slower than predicted.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
As an Australian collector I have built a good collection of Classic Disney over the years and my preference is to physical media. This news both saddens and frustrates me as the chance of now having more classic Disney released is zero. I don’t purchase much modern Disney product so I suppose that I have contributed in my very small way to this decision; however, most of the modern Disney product is of little to no interest.
Thank you, Mr. Iger…… for nothing!!!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Blu-rays may be a niche market by now, but as I understand it, they're still making a profit (esp. on new releases), why cancel a profit stream? But when you think of Disney, you're not really thinking of a profitable company making sensible business decisions :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
More incentive to join Disney+.

Dedicated 4K Disc players may be drying up in the near future too. Enjoy what you have while you have it
Oh yes. If Panasonic stop manufacturing the 4K players, 4K could go the same way as 3D. I hope that's just panic talk.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Blu-rays may be a niche market by now, but as I understand it, they're still making a profit (esp. on new releases), why cancel a profit stream? But when you think of Disney, you're not really thinking of a profitable company making sensible business decisions :)
For Disney, the profits have to be tremendous to even bother. They're not interested in small amounts of profit, even if the venture would be considered "successful" by many other businesses. If they can't make hundreds of millions, they're not interested.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Ubisoft account debacle shows what the real future of 'owning" digital" copies means, no matter how high the quality becomes.

The only reasonable path forward is to push for higher quality AV encodes available as digital, ala Uncompressed Atmos Music. The end of shiny plastic disks is happening faster than folks would like, but that doesn't mean it's slower than predicted.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
There was a 2000 print run preorder for an upcoming fancy Collector's Edition of The Exorcist exclusive to the UK that sold out in just a matter of hours the same day the preorder went up - pardon me if I don't see what all the doomsday fuss is about. Our friends down under will just have to import if studios are abandoning them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There was a 2000 print run preorder for an upcoming fancy Collector's Edition of The Exorcist exclusive to the UK that sold out in just a matter of hours the same day the preorder went up - pardon me if I don't see what all the doomsday fuss is about. Our friends down under will just have to import if studios are abandoning them.
I don’t think you understand that importing is a much more expensive option for those in Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks