What's new

3D Report: 3D was never dead. It was just forgotten. (A visit with Bob Furmanek) (1 Viewer)

3DMOVIEMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
William Turner
Bob Furmanek said:
We've tried. Unfortunately, the current owner of ROBOT and CAT WOMEN has zero interest in a 3-D restoration or a Blu-ray release.
That is most unfortunate, Robot Monster & Cat Women of the Moon are so much fun to watch! I hope the owner has at least taken steps to preserve the left & right prints, it would be a tragedy if these films were lost. I'll be the first in line if they ever do get a 3D Blu ray release, they are @ the top of my 3D wish list.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I hope the owner has at least taken steps to preserve the left & right prints, it would be a tragedy if these films were lost.
I'm sorry to say that he has had the left/right 35mm elements (negatives and fine grains) for over 20 years and has never gone through the material. It's in safe storage in an underground mine, but he doesn't even know what's there. He won't allow access and has no interest in a 3-D restoration.
He also has close to 30 boxes of material on Jack Broder's HANNAH LEE, a decent film that would really benefit from a scene by scene 3-D restoration. Again, no interest.

3DMOVIEMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
William Turner
Bob Furmanek said:
I hope the owner has at least taken steps to preserve the left & right prints, it would be a tragedy if these films were lost.
I'm sorry to say that he has had the left/right 35mm elements (negatives and fine grains) for over 20 years and has never gone through the material. It's in safe storage in an underground mine, but he doesn't even know what's there. He won't allow access and has no interest in a 3-D restoration.
He also has close to 30 boxes of material on Jack Broder's HANNAH LEE, a decent film that would really benefit from a scene by scene 3-D restoration. Again, no interest.
Truly tragic! I can't even imagine how frustrating that must be for you. I got to see them all in 2003 at the World 3-D Film Expo (thanks to you) and I guess I should consider myself lucky. It doesn't look like too many people are going to be seeing them any time soon. Thank you Bob, for all of your hard work in preserving 3D film history.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I can't even imagine how frustrating that must be for you.
I can't express the feelings of frustration, anger and helplessness. If I owned these films, my number one priority would be to preserve the work and insure that all three were seen in the best possible quality. I would certainly NOT be recycling 20 year old standard def transfers.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Furmanek said:
Admittedly, THE NEBRASKAN is very much a programmer, but an entertaining one, in my humble opinion. Without sounding too biased, I have to say the 3-D and 1.85 widescreen does add a LOT to its entertainment value. Plus, Roberta Haynes is quite stunning in the miracle of third-dimension.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/865707/width/407/height/500
Even JESSE JAMES VS. THE DALTONS becomes a more enjoyable movie in 3-D!
My guess is that seeing Miss Haynes on the big screen is what made Kennedy decide to launch the Apollo moon missions.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Don't forget that the stars of The Nebraskan (Phil Carey and the lovely Roberta Haynes) were also in the 3-D western Guy Fury with Rock Hudson and Donna Reed (although Ms. Haynes had crazy eyes in that one :))
Count me in as a Nebraskan fan.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
GUY FURY? Was Rock Hudson in that?
74304448_3029542854_1_4_0WdPDctD.jpeg

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Bob Furmanek said:
GUY FURY? Was Rock Hudson in that?
74304448_3029542854_1_4_0WdPDctD.jpeg
LOL...he's hard to notice among the beautify scenery.
Bob, What is your favorite Golden Age title and why?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
My favorite Golden Age 3-D movie? That's tough to pick. When I did the work on re-combining those 30 titles, I got to know most of them pretty well. Frame by frame, in fact.
The one I never got tired of watching, no matter how many times I had seen it, was KISS ME KATE. It works on so many levels, and the widescreen with stereophonic sound REALLY packs a punch.
Of course, CREATURE is mighty good, and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE too. I like MONEY FROM HOME a lot for personal reasons, and THE GLASS WEB was always fun to watch. INFERNO never failed to wow the audience, as did HOUSE OF WAX.
Another audience favorite was the under-rated DANGEROUS MISSION. That one looked beautiful in 3-D and Technicolor.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
THE NEBRASKAN is more watchable in 3D, but the shoddy rear screen projection and the fact that incidents just keep repeating themselves--Lee Van Cleef gets out of his bonds 3 times in an effort to attack Phil Carey and gets his arse kicked all three times, Richard Webb turns on Carey three times and gets his arse kicked all three times, the old timer spends half the movie talking about trying to go for help before he tries and fails--really brings it down. All that said, I would unquestionably buy it if only to show on a bad movie night at my place. A couple of friends of mine and I get together from time to time and watch bad movies for fun. And while THE NEBRASKAN may well be the worst 3D movie of the 1950s, it's not the worst of all time. Good God, no. DOMO ARIGATO makes THE NEBRASKAN look like CASABLANCA by comparison. At least stuff happens in THE NEBRASKAN. The same cannot be said for DOMO ARIGATO.
And Bob, would you PLEASE hurry up and get your classics out on 3D Blu???? I'm dying here waiting for them!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
And Bob, would you PLEASE hurry up and get your classics out on 3D Blu???? I'm dying here waiting for them!
I'm doing my best. I hope to have some definite news in the very near future...

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Todd J Moore said:
...And while THE NEBRASKAN may well be the worst 3D movie of the 1950s...
The worst 3-D film from the 50s? I'm not even sure I'd go so far as to call The Nebraskan the worst 3-D Western from the 50s. I much prefer it to Jesse James vs. the Daltons, Devil's Canyon, or Hannah Lee.
I would only put Stranger Wore a Gun, Gun Fury, and Charge at Feather River above it.
I'm not sure how I feel about Fort Ti...I might place it on par with The Nebraskan.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Todd J Moore said:
THE NEBRASKAN is more watchable in 3D, but the shoddy rear screen projection and the fact that incidents just keep repeating themselves--Lee Van Cleef gets out of his bonds 3 times in an effort to attack Phil Carey and gets his arse kicked all three times, Richard Webb turns on Carey three times and gets his arse kicked all three times, the old timer spends half the movie talking about trying to go for help before he tries and fails--really brings it down...
Regarding the predictable plot, I would imagine that the film's audience back in 53 paid their money fully expecting to see Phil Carey slap around the bad guys multiple times. I don't think the filmmakers ever had any delusions or pretensions that they were creating the next High Noon. Westerns, in that era, were bread and butter for Hollywood. They were cheap and quick to make and had a guaranteed audience.
In the Golden Age, Hollywood was throwing 3-D at the wall of virtually every genre and seeing where it would stick. (And I don't mean that as a criticism. Quite the opposite -- I find its willingness to experiment with 3-D across genres most commendable.) The Nebraskan would have been green lighted even in 2-D and would likely have accomplished its goals and turned a profit. The addition of 3-D makes it more interesting, special, and frankly historic.
As far as the back-projected footage (monoscopic stock footage enhanced with stereoscopic rock and tree props in the foreground)...yeah those shots don't really work stereoscopically, but do they really derail the entire film? There are better 3-D westerns with the same hokey misfires in spades (Stranger Wore a Gun and Gun Fury to name but two.) Personally, I find them endearing, a testament to the ingenuity of the technicians of the day. They were working with what they had, trying to keep the entire film in 3-D long before the post-production magic of the digital age would come to pass.
And for every misfire, there are moments that shine. The opening chase of The Nebraskan has always greatly impressed me with its head-on tracking shots of actors on horseback, riding full speed over rutted, muddy, dusty dirt roads, all captured in glorious color 3-D that holds up amazingly well over half a century later. What a testament to the talent, professionalism and craftsmanship of of those operators and technicians.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The westerns really do benefit from the use of third-dimension. Even the lower-tier ones, such as HANNAH LEE and JESSE JAMES VS. THE DALTONS, are greatly enhanced with the beautiful outdoor photography. The one I would REALLY like to see is THE MOONLIGHTER with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray. Photographed in Natural Vision and black and white, it has not been seen anywhere in 3-D since its original release in the fall of 1953.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/866395/width/600/height/449

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Bob Furmanek said:
The westerns really do benefit from the use of third-dimension. Even the lower-tier ones, such as HANNAH LEE and JESSE JAMES VS. THE DALTONS, are greatly enhanced with the beautiful outdoor photography. The one I would REALLY like to see is THE MOONLIGHTER with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray. Photographed in Natural Vision and black and white, it has not been seen anywhere in 3-D since its original release in the fall of 1953.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/866395/width/600/height/449
Well, now that we have the tech, maybe 3D will make a comeback and big!

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Sorry I am not big on this huge 3D kick. It seems like every family animated movie and summer Action fantasy film has to be in 3D. Sometimes it works like with Hugo, which as actually filmed in 3D. What I would really like is if the studios brought back 70MM. I know they won't shoot in 65 nowadays but they could bring back the 70MM blowups. I am sure it could be done in digital. And with the amount people pay for 3D why not bring back the Roadshow? So we have 3D again, but let's bring back 70MM blowups...then I'll be happy.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Brian Husar said:
Sorry I am not big on this huge 3D kick. It seems like every family animated movie and summer Action fantasy film has to be in 3D.
So, you think you hate 3D because of the new ones, huh?
Well, 'round here, we're not always talking about the NEW ones... :cool:

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I hear you. It would be nice to see Kiss Me Kate in 3D which I have never seen and never knew was in 3D. It's the new stuff that is bothering me. But the older stuff has a charm to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks