What's new

Press Release Reds 40th Anniversary Edition (1981) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I still have my HD DVD disc and did watch it last year and thought the image looked good. The new release will be a nice upgrade.
IMG_1041.JPG

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Definitely worth an upgrade. I have the old bluray and it’s always been a bit weak. Off topic but I watched another old bluray a few days ago. Magnum Force looks horrible. It’s been years since I popped it into my player and I guess I’ve been pampered by all these new releases.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Definitely worth an upgrade. I have the old bluray and it’s always been a bit weak. Off topic but I watched another old bluray a few days ago. Magnum Force looks horrible. It’s been years since I popped it into my player and I guess I’ve been pampered by all these new releases.
Yes - it's getting nigh near impossible to watch any blu-ray projected onto a big screen which is ten years old now. Especially anything from Warner Bros. who released blu-rays with really low bitrates for ages, and Universal, who slathered everything in DNR. Criterion is not excepted either - although they usually tried to master properly what they received. Just about anything remastered with a fresh 4K scan from original elements is going to trump the older stuff. If the rate of remastered titles continues at the currant rate, I will probably have replaced most of my library of 5000+ titles within five years! ;)

Dave>h

Second Unit
I own this on HD DVD but have never watched it. Given the awards, I assume I am actually missing quite a good movie.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I own this on HD DVD but have never watched it. Given the awards, I assume I am actually missing quite a good movie.
This is an important release of a movie that should have won Best Picture (some forgettable drivel titled CHARIOTS of FIRE somehow won.) A movie for adults with ambition and intellect directed by a star at the peak of his powers. Incredible cinematography by Storaro. I can't wait to see this new remastering. Love Nicholson and Diane Keaton in it too. It's not a perfect film but it's so amazing and in my pantheon. And a film like Apocalypse Now where the director/movie and the creators/lead characters ambitions are very intertwined.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
This is an important release of a movie that should have won Best Picture (some forgettable drivel titled CHARIOTS of FIRE somehow won.) A movie for adults with ambition and intellect directed by a star at the peak of his powers. Incredible cinematography by Storaro. I can't wait to see this new remastering. Love Nicholson and Diane Keaton in it too. It's not a perfect film but it's so amazing and in my pantheon. And a film like Apocalypse Now where the director/movie and the creators/lead characters ambitions are very intertwined.
I agree! CHARIOTS OF FIRE shouldn’t have won.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree! CHARIOTS OF FIRE shouldn’t have won.
Frankly, I think "Reds" was a little overrated and much too long for my taste. I prefer "Chariots of Fire".

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The rhyme or reason seems to be that the Paramount Presents line have new 4K scans, and the others don't. But why they wouldn't invest the time and money to have a new scan of "Heaven Can Wait" or "Reds" which I think would generate as much interest and sales (if not more) than "Nashville" & "Ragtime" is a definite puzzlement.
Well look what happened to On A Clear Day……

Anyway these 2 were totally unconvincing as early 20th century personas. The witnesses stole the entire picture. IMHO

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Well look what happened to On A Clear Day……

Anyway these 2 were totally unconvincing as early 20th century personas. The witnesses stole the entire picture. IMHO
So are you one of those people who called "Reds": "Annie Hall Goes to Moscow"?

I respectfully disagree.

I consider "Reds" one of the best American films of the 1980's, and while I liked the witnesses, especially those, aged, craggy faces and frail voices of theirs, so soft you were forced to listen very carefully, they had nothing whatsoever to do with John Reed or Louise Bryant, except they were around at the same time and may have seen them in passing. I think the film would have been better without them, because, unlike you, I was really caught up in the story, and in the performances, which I thought were compelling as well as convincing, so going away from that was for me a distraction, and took me out of the film.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
So are you one of those people who called "Reds": "Annie Hall Goes to Moscow"?

I respectfully disagree.

I consider "Reds" one of the best American films of the 1980's, and while I liked the witnesses, especially those, aged, craggy faces and frail voices of theirs, so soft you were forced to listen very carefully, they had nothing whatsoever to do with John Reed or Louise Bryant, except they were around at the same time and may have seen them in passing. I think the film would have been better without them, because, unlike you, I was really caught up in the story, and in the performances, which I thought were compelling as well as convincing, so going away from that was for me a distraction, and took me out of the film.
Glad you liked it. I found is basically an American Doctor Zhivago wannabe, excruciatingly overloong and overrated. Viewing it once was enough- I felt trapped in the theater for over 3 hours.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Glad you liked it. I found is basically an American Doctor Zhivago wannabe, excruciatingly overloong and overrated. Viewing it once was enough- I felt trapped in the theater for over 3 hours.
To each their own. Overlong and overrated can apply to any of David Lean's films. I admire Beatty's ambition, passion and experimentation with form. It's not a perfect film - for many reasons - and it's not for everyone.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
"Doctor Zhivago" has a little too much MGM gloss for my tastes (compared to Lean's more raw Columbia titles) and "Ryan's Daughter" wasn't received well in 1970, so it can't be called overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks