What's new

Press Release Reds 40th Anniversary Edition (1981) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WARREN BEATTY’S IMPASSIONED AND TIMELESS EPIC CELEBRATES ITS 40TH ANNIVERSARY

FF660574-0C1E-43E4-A195-ACA9309CFD0E.jpeg

Newly Restored and Remastered, Award-Winning Masterpiece Arrives on
Two-Disc Blu-ray™ Set November 30, 2021

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Directed, co-written, produced by and starring Warren Beatty, the masterful political and historical epic REDS celebrates its 40th anniversary this year. The story of a radical American journalist embroiled in the Bolshevik revolution mesmerized critics and audiences alike and remains as relevant today as when it was originally released on December 25, 1981.

On November 30, 2021, Paramount Home Entertainment will debut a new two-disc Blu-ray set of REDS, newly restored under Beatty’s supervision. The film was restored and remastered from the original negative in 4K with High Dynamic Range using a vintage print from the Paramount archives as a reference, which was approved by Academy Award®-winning*cinematographer Vittorio Storaro.

Punctuated by interviews with real-life activists and witnesses to the revolution, REDS became an instant classic, transcending time with its eternal tale of human passion, conviction, and frailty. In addition to Beatty, the film boasts an outstanding cast including Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Edward Herrmann, Gene Hackman, Paul Sorvino, and Maureen Stapleton, whose performance won her an Academy Award® for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.

The engrossing depiction of the love story between activists John Reed (Beatty) and Louise Bryant (Keaton) set against the outbreak of World War I and the rise of communism in Russia,REDS garnered 12 Academy Award® nominations and won three**, including Best Director for Beatty, who also took home every other major directorial award of the season. The Oscar®-nominated screenplay was written by Beatty and Trevor Griffiths.

The new Blu-ray set boasts over an hour of legacy bonus content, as well as access to a Digital copy of the film. Bonus content is detailed below:

• · Witness to Reds
  • o The Rising
  • o Comrades
  • o Testimonials
  • o The March
  • o Revolution – Part 1
  • o Revolution – Part 2
  • o Propaganda
  • · Reds Trailer
# # #​

About Paramount Home Entertainment

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The PHE division oversees PPC’s home entertainment and transactional digital distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television Studios, Paramount Players, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and applicable licensing and servicing of certain DreamWorks Animation titles. PHE additionally manages global licensing of studio content and transactional distribution across worldwide digital distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

REDS

Street Date: November 30, 2021

U.S. Rating: PG

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With no additional information, I'm assuming this is just a repackaging of the prior blu ray release. If it were a new transfer, it would have been ideal for their Paramount Presents line.
That's exactly what I'm thinking about this release.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hmmm… Two Warren Beatty Paramount movies on Blu-ray (this and Heaven Can Wait) and neither of them part of Paramount Presents? Something’s not right.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hmmm… Two Warren Beatty Paramount movies on Blu-ray (this and Heaven Can Wait) and neither of them part of Paramount Presents? Something’s not right.

I agree that the titles that fall under the Paramount Presents! moniker as opposed to those that don't are a bit uneven.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the choices between the two. Maybe I'm missing something.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I agree that the titles that fall under the Paramount Presents! moniker as opposed to those that don't are a bit uneven.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the choices between the two. Maybe I'm missing something.
The rhyme or reason seems to be that the Paramount Presents line have new 4K scans, and the others don't. But why they wouldn't invest the time and money to have a new scan of "Heaven Can Wait" or "Reds" which I think would generate as much interest and sales (if not more) than "Nashville" & "Ragtime" is a definite puzzlement.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The rhyme or reason seems to be that the Paramount Presents line have new 4K scans, and the others don't. But why they wouldn't invest the time and money to have a new scan of "Heaven Can Wait" or "Reds" which I think would generate as much interest and sales (if not more) than "Nashville" & "Ragtime" is a definite puzzlement.
You can add ATLANTIC CITY to that list, too.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
You can add ATLANTIC CITY to that list, too.
Well, "Atlantic City", while it was nominated for a spate of Oscars, is more obscure, being directed by a Frenchman--though he was married to Murphy Brown--but it seems the only films from the 80's that are a sure bet for a Paramount Presents release are the ones that star Eddie Murphy.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
It's a pleasure to be able to throw away all those useless old blu-rays from 15 years ago. Even back then, the picture quality on Reds looked horrible projected. I'm expecting an even bigger difference in picture quality than the Criterion and Paramount Nashville blu-rays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks