What's new

Red Dawn (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The most amazing thing about this film for the youngsters might be that at the time we really were worried about stuff like this. We were certain that it was only a matter of time before something bad went down. That's why stuff like Threads and The Day After freaked people out so bad.

And while the invasion might seem unlikely in some ways it represented a more realistic situation in which the superpowers would be less prone to using an all-out nuke attack on each other, ala Day After or even Strangelove.

It's half cool, have corny. :)

Scott D, we can't go down the political path and choose sides or anything here, but I can certainly appreciate the very logical basis in contrasting/comparing this film with the Iraqi war situation.

Of course "rules of war" has always confused the hell out of me, even when watching Lawrence of Arabia tonight I considered the sometimes haphazard aspect of it all...stealing from the Turkish trains is wrong but blowing them up is okay? Maybe its why Dr. Strangelove is such a funny film. :)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I've always kinda been curious about this flick, having never gotten around to watch it. I've passed it up at least 10,000 times at rental places and bargain bins. I'm going to have to see it at some point.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The most amazing thing about this film for the youngsters might be that at the time we really were worried about stuff like this. We were certain that it was only a matter of time before something bad went down. That's why stuff like Threads and The Day After freaked people out so bad.
Excellent point, Seth. I remember having nightmares about nuclear war as a kid growing up in the late 1970s, early 1980s. RED DAWN really tapped into that fear.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Chris, as a child of the late 60's early 70's I had nightmares also. I distinctly remember looking out the window of my 5th grade class and seeing the General Dynamics shipbuilding crane (the Quincy, MA crane - The Goliath - was the largest crane in the world and could be seen for miles. The crane was still building warships and subs at that time). I asked my teacher what that big thing was and he replied "a nuclear target". He was the best teacher I ever had, but he had a strange sense of humor.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Similarly, the long-ago film On the Beach tapped into my fears of a nuclear holocaust when I was growing up. And that film was intended as a serious piece. "Waltzing Matilda" stayed in my head for days, making a nuclear airburst almost seem desirable.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

I just saw On the Beach for the first time a few weeks ago. A tad...leisurely...in its pacing but a damn good movie. :emoji_thumbsup:

As a 15-year-old I made the mistake of watching Testament when it came on PBS. :frowning:

George See

Second Unit
I find the DVD of this movie to be pretty poor. I understand it's a budget title of an older movie, but i've seen much much better budget titles of older movies. There is a lot of dirt and various other problems with the picture. I was hoping for something a little better it didn't seem much different than watching my old VCR tape of the movie. I love this movie. I was a boy when it was on HBO non stop. And I was just of that age where guns and tanks were cool. So I will always have a fondness for this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks