Red Dawn

Discussion in 'Movies' started by HalRoth, May 17, 2003.

1. HalRoth

HalRoth Agent

I was checking out the movie section at target today and this title caught my eye. I had never heard of this flick, but the back of the box made me instantly want it. For 10 bucks and a great cast (Charlie Sheen, Patrick Swazye, Lea Thompson) I figured I can't go wrong.

I'm waiting to get my TV back before I watch it, so just looking for some input on this movie. Wondering why I've never heard of it, seems to be one of those great 80's movies that would be on TBS/TNT every other week.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Lead Actor

It ran in the early days of pay cable like AT LEAST once a week- probably more like once every 2 days. I think it was on HBO, but it's been a while.

I'm surprised you never heard of it either. It's a decent movie- although the first 20 minutes is GREAT and it just grinds to a hault and sort of crawls along after the first 1/4.

-Vince

3. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

One of the most implausable invasions in film history. Where the hell was Norad!?!

4. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

It's also interesting to note that "Red Dawn" was the first released film with a PG-13 rating.

"Wolverines!" [​IMG]

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Truly one of my favorites. It would make a great SE if they ever got the cast back together ala "Goonies".

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

"AVENGE ME!"
    Oh man, this movie was cool back in the day. WAY back in the day! Watching C. Thomas HOWL "Wolverines!" [​IMG] Dammitt, now I have to go check this disc out!

8. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I love the score by Basil... One of my favorites.

9. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton

10. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

"Red Dawn" is pretty much goofy cold-war era posturing.

The most interesting aspect of it is that it's an amalgam of the two big genres of the 80s -- the muscle-bound super warrior - typified by Arnold Schwarzenegger - movie and the John Hughes teen movie. Rambo meets the Breakfast Club, though it actually predates most of those movies.

11. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

12. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

13. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

14. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Of course the invasion is pretty much implausable but who cares, it was a kick ass movie back in the day. That was one of the first movies I recorded on SP(lol).

The first battle scene in the mountains was awesome and the cold bloodedness of C. Thomas was great to, when he executes his friend.

15. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

I recently brought this movie up during a discussion about the current troubles overseas. An invading force is hampered by irregular forces (dressed in civilian clothes) who use non-conventional means to battle the much more powerful foe. They break the "rules of war" because they have no choice. The question was: Is this ethical? The answer depends on perspective.

16. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

good times, good times. definitely top 10 cheesiest movie of the 80's. (and that's tough competition too.)

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Interestingly, though, John Milius created a really good film in 1975's The Wind and the Lion (coming to DVD in 2004).

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    And he also created the very good Big Wednesday, and has a script writing credit in Apocalypse Now. My guess is that he saved Apocalypse Now from being the disaster it could have been. I enjoy Red Dawn but then again you might describe my view of the benefits of widespread firearm ownership to be somewhat more favorable than the view held by Mr. Briggs.

Milius factoids from IMDB:

Films often reflect his conservative political beliefs.
    Is an avid gun collector.
    Wrote the line "Go ahead, make my day". for Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry.
    Wrote "U.S.S. Indianappolis" scene in "Jaws"
    Won Lone Star award in 1998 for best film "Rough Riders"
    Member, board of directors, National Rifle Association.
    Is a personal friend of the Coen brothers and was the inspiration for the character of Walter in The Big Lebowski.

I guess I just have to wait until Bowling for Columbine comes out on DVD so I can host a double feature in my HT of Red Dawn and Bowling......

19. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Actually, I liked Red Dawn as a guilty pleasure back in 1984. Have tried looking at the DVD on three separate occasions in recent months and wasn't able to make it all the way through. For a silly movie it has its charms.

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

For the first movie rated PG-13, it's pretty freakin' violent! I vaguely remember it being listed in Guinness at one point! Anyone else remember that?

And yeah, I also think it's good cheezy fun.