What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Small Axe: Five Films By Steve McQueen (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
cSHYtRXpYlqtzhDuDsrdBiSaac5NKX_large.jpg
With the five films that make up his Small Axe anthology, director Steve McQueen offers a richly evocative panorama of West Indian life in London from the 1960s through the ’80s—a time defined for the community by the terror of police violence, the empowering awakening of political consciousness, and the ecstatic escape of a vibrant reggae scene. Ranging in tone from the tenderly impressionistic to the devastatingly clear-eyed, these powerfully performed portraits of Black resistance, joy, creativity, and collective action—all sumptuously shot by Shabier Kirchner—form a revolutionary counterhistory of mid-twentieth-century Britain at a transformational moment.

FILM INFO​

• Spine #1177

FILMS IN THIS SET​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This is a sublime series. Lover's Rock was Sight & Sound's number 1 film in 2020, with Mangrove at number 13:

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Lover's Rock was my #2 of 2020. All five are superb. Well, Alex Wheatle I found a bit underwhelming. But still, definitely adding this to my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks