What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Pasolini 101 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
original.jpg
One of the most original and controversial thinkers of the twentieth century, Italian polymath Pier Paolo Pasolini embodied a multitude of often seemingly contradictory ideologies and identities—and he expressed them all in his provocative, lyrical, and indelible films. Relentlessly concerned with society’s downtrodden and marginalized, he elevated pimps, hustlers, sex workers, and vagabonds to the realm of saints, while depicting actual saints with a radical earthiness. Traversing the sacred and the profane, the ancient and the modern, the mythic and the personal, the nine uncompromising, often scandal-inciting features he made in the 1960s still stand—on this, the 101st anniversary of his birth—as a monument to his daring vision of cinema as a form of resistance.
Pasolini 101

FILM INFO​

• Spine #1182

FILMS IN THIS SET​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This space reserved for Amazon preorder link

Set can be ordered directly from Criterion

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Is this the first time Criterion has done a director box set and actually omitted most of the films they already owned the rights to?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Is this the first time Criterion has done a director box set and actually omitted most of the films they already owned the rights to?
I knew you would be first in line, clamouring for a remastered Salo, didn’t I?

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Salo and The Trilogy of Life are owned by MGM, and I believe the 9 titles in this set are all now with Janus. So the omission of Salo & The Trilogy of Life's is likely licensing related. (Although they did duplicate the Fellini MGM titles in their Fellini box.)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Salo notwithstanding, I had a professor in film school who tried to push Pasolini on us. Didn't take in my case, never really cared for any of the ones I watched. I would be willing to give one or two another try some day, I suppose. The whole box set is a bit much, though.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I like the idea of it covering his 60s films and not making the lovely Trilogy of Life set to redundant. Especially since I can see those And Salo getting UHD upgrades.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I like the idea of it covering his 60s films and not making the lovely Trilogy of Life set to redundant. Especially since I can see those And Salo getting UHD upgrades.
And I think that's thepoiunt of calling it Pasolini 101; it's meant as an intro, not an exhaustive compendium.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
And I think that's thepoiunt of calling it Pasolini 101; it's meant as an intro, not an exhaustive compendium.

I dunno, if you're going to give us literally 80% of his filmography and own the other 20% too, might as well do all of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks