What's new

Receiver Recommendations with Paradigm Monitor 7 (1 Viewer)

Randy Schwandt

Auditioning
Hi all,

7 trips to my local audio shop, and a ton of reading on the internet has basically made up my mind on the paradigm monitor 7's, CC370, ADP370 (havent decided on the sub).
Now, I am having a hard time with receivers. The store I was going to was pushing the Marantz 7300, But I think that may be out of my price range since I am totally redoing my basement, and starting from scratch on equipment (Tv, reciever, dvd, speakers). A buddy of mine has me hooked on the Onkyo's, and after some research, I have pretty much been eyeing the 601. It seems to have a good balance of price and performance.

Has anyone paired these together and had any remorse? The more I read, the more I get confused. :) I still have yet to really start on my basement, so I have plenty of time to mix and match with the equipment, so other recommendations are welcome as well. I don't have an unlimited budget, and I am probably over stretching myself with the current setup I have in mind.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I listened to the 7s and 11s with the 7300 and I think there is a good reason for the salesperson to recommend it. The 7300 should be well discounted right now (also probably why he is pushing it) so maybe you can talk him down more or see about a 6300. IMO, these Marantz receivers pair up well with the Monitor line. The Onkyos are no slouch, but I'd opt for Marantz first personally. You will want a little more power for the 7s than the 601 can probably provide at elevated levels, so I'd say you might shop around for a closeout Onkyo SR700 or SR800.

Randy Schwandt

Auditioning
I haven't totally ousted the idea of going Marantz. I think I got sticker shock a little bit when they said the whole package was $2500 USD. Come to find out later that the sales lady was VERY willing to haggle. Unfortunaly all the receivers they had hooked up to the Monitors were all Rotels. Definately out of my range.

Aaron,
I like some things that I have read about the HK's but honestly I don't know much as far as specs and benefits of going with that particular brand. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll have to look more into it ;)

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
Randy
Im currently running the 7's, CC 370 and B&W LM1 for rears. Current receiver is a Pioneer 36tx. Good warm sound and ran well with the Paradigm's. Have recently upgraded with a Parasound HCA2205 amp (220w x 5) and using the Pioneer as the processor. Hopefully that will end soon as I will upgrade to a pre-pro. Big difference in sound. To my point, trust your ears. Take your own music with you and dont let some salesman just put in his music. You have a great start with your speakers. For the price Paradigm is hard to beat. If I may add, go with a matching Paradigm sub.

Hey Chris, nice "type-o":D

Randy Schwandt

Auditioning
What would be the "minimum" Watt per channel for these speakers? 100? 80? 150?!? It's really hard to gauge since they had all the Rotel and McIntosh components hooked to the speakers I like.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Randy, don't worry about watts so much. You could drive them on 10.
Yes you need more watts for peaks and dynamics, but most of the time at moderate levels you are only pushing 10 to 20.

Nobody rates their amps the same anyway so are you really getting what the manufacturer rates the receiver at?

Yeah more watts, power, will give you increased headroom and driver handling which usually equates to better sound.

I have driven the 7's with a 75 watt receiver, a 200 watt amp, and now a 150 watt amp.
A friend of mine is using a Parasound 2205, 220 watt amp, it's all fine.
I think of it like a cars' drive and over-drive. Yeah drive will get you there, but when you use over-drive your car smoothes out, and can handle going faster without strain.
I hope that makes sense.

Randy Schwandt

Auditioning
Your analogy put it clearer terms there. I know that I am not going to be hammering these speakers hardly at all. Just elevated levels for DvD's and normal listening for TV.

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Its all personal preference. I have Monitor 9's and loved their sound with both Denon and what I have now, an Onkyo TX-SR701. I was not impressed at all with how they sounded with a Marantz or HK.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone paired up a Yamaha with PAradigm speakers. HAs anyone tested this combo together and if so what you think of it. I have Paradigms mini monitors with cc370 and atoms for surrounds and im looking for a receiver myself. Right now im torn with the Marantz 5300, Denon 2803 or Yamaha rxv1400. I just want to find a great recevier that will blend in with my speakers. Has anyone tested PAradigm and Yamaha together.

Eddy,

I have a Paradigm/Yamaha setup. Specifically:
Paradigm Studio 100s
Studio CC
PW2200 sub
ADP Studio surrounds

with

Yamaha RX-V3200

Absolutely love the setup. I can literally shake pictures off the walls if I choose to do so!

One thing I noticed is that the Studio 100s need a long break in period. I've had mine for about 2 years now and they sound fabulous! They didn't have much low end when new, but now they sound great. The Yammie has no problem powering them up. I can watch movies at near reference levels and the receiver is just "warm". Very happy with my combo!!

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
cool i myself might buy the rxv1400 since i only have a 15x12 family room and paradigm mini monitors. How does the ypao accoustic calibration work. Some peopel say it works some say it doesnt. The dealer told me to use the ypao as a mesuring stick. He said to do it and then from there further tweak the settigns to your perfection.

Eddy,

The YPAO sounds cool. My receiver is 2 generations old and does not have that feature. I tweaked mine manually with an SPL meter and it was really easy to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks